Small belt / neck backpacking knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It's called Eldris.
Surely practical for some special purposes it's heavier than it should for such a short bladed knife.

Light are the classical wood handle Moras and especially the Opinels, nothing for batoning though, but who really needs to do that?

Hootch

Aug 19, 2015
Scotland
It's called Eldris.
Surely practical for some special purposes it's heavier than it should for such a short bladed knife.

Light are the classical wood handle Moras and especially the Opinels, nothing for batoning though, but who really needs to do that?
I have a few Opinels, great little folders. As for batoning, I would like to be able to do it albeit at lightweight level, nothing thicker than 2” diameter really. It’s for fuel for my firebox nano stove.
Alan wood does a knife called the PCT that may suit. And Rob Evans makes a model called the FTP that may also be suitable
I really like both of those. What is the blade size of the FTP? Looks kinda perfect.
I just looked at some photos (on here) of some of Rob’s knives. Which is bigger, the FTP or the Bushtool? His necker knife also looks really good.
Non stainless are two Terävä knives from Varusteleka that might be interesting nevertheless.

It seems that site doesn’t deliver to the UK.

I have something that could suit. I’ll dig it out later!
Intriguing…

I have longed for a Rob Evans FTP Puukko Knife for quite a while now.....

I agree, looks great. Is he making at the moment?

What about one of those really stubby Moras?
Cant remember the name of em offhand.
As answered by others above: Eldris. Bit short (5.3cm) and thin (1.9mm) for what I need.

So far the Rob Evans knives (especially the puukko), the small Bison Bushcrafter one, and the Brisa/ Enzo Elver and Bobtail, are the ones that stand out. In the end my budget may determine what I go for.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
I have a few Opinels, great little folders. As for batoning, I would like to be able to do it albeit at lightweight level, nothing thicker than 2” diameter really. It’s for fuel for my firebox nano stove.

I really like both of those. What is the blade size of the FTP? Looks kinda perfect.
I just looked at some photos (on here) of some of Rob’s knives. Which is bigger, the FTP or the Bushtool? His necker knife also looks really good.

It seems that site doesn’t deliver to the UK.

Intriguing…

I agree, looks great. Is he making at the moment?

As answered by others above: Eldris. Bit short (5.3cm) and thin (1.9mm) for what I need.

So far the Rob Evans knives (especially the puukko), the small Bison Bushcrafter one, and the Brisa/ Enzo Elver and Bobtail, are the ones that stand out. In the end my budget may determine what I go for.
The FTP is smaller than the bushtool. I'll take a side by side with a rule in a bit. Im just off out

Jan 11, 2017
United States
For backpacking I carry a Mora 510 . I've never had issues with it handling task and it weighs so little I allow myself to carry my bahco . It's a great spring/ summer combo. Another advantage is it makes a great neck knife so you can forage as you hike .

Hootch

Aug 19, 2015
Scotland
Thanks for all your advice. I’ve opted for a Brisa Bobtail 80 Scandi, only 75g so good for backpacking and general camping. But I’m seriously considering one of Rob’s FTP knives, they look perfect.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Look at the flatground Enzo/Brisa Trapper in O1. It is very good and available fully made up, kit form or blade alone.

The Elver is brilliant. Mine's in flatground D2, but I'd love one in O1, and occasionally write to them to ask if they'll make it :)

Both available in scandi grinds.

I like Rosellis too

Hootch

Aug 19, 2015
Scotland
Look at the flatground Enzo/Brisa Trapper in O1. It is very good and available fully made up, kit form or blade alone.

The Elver is brilliant. Mine's in flatground D2, but I'd love one in O1, and occasionally write to them to ask if they'll make it :)

Both available in scandi grinds.

I like Rosellis too
I was thinking of a Trapper in Elmax. But these are bigger knives than I need right now, already owning a Casstrom Woodsman. The Brisa Bobtail 80 that I just bought should suffice as a small and simple backpacking knife. I am seriously thinking of one of Rob Evans’ full tang puukkos though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE