Small belt / neck backpacking knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hootch

Aug 19, 2015
Scotland
I have a Casstrom Woodsman which is great but I’m looking for something smaller and lighter for backpacking with a twig stove. Can anyone advise me on a small (blade under 8.5cm) fixed blade belt or neck knife, preferably scandi grind? I’d like something fairly corrosion-resistant, with a blade under 4mm (I find the Woodsman a bit too thick at 4mm) and strong enough to handle light and occasional batoning of sticks around 5-7cm thick. A spine suitable for a ferro rod would be good too.
So far my search has thrown up the following:
Joker Avispa neck knife
Victorinox Outdoor Master small
Gerber Principle

Any other suggestions?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Another Orford to throw into the mix: the Campcraft.

It's a great little knife, strong and amazingly versatile.

Hootch

Aug 19, 2015
Scotland
Another Orford to throw into the mix: the Campcraft.

It's a great little knife, strong and amazingly versatile.
Beautiful! Little beyond my budget though. I should have said, I’d prefer the price to be under £150. If price was no object I’d go custom, maybe something in RWL34 steel.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Looks great but I could find one in that steel anywhere. Knives & Tools don’t have it.

Ah not avail on https://www.brisa.fi either no idea why.

The Enzo Bobtail which is slightly smaller at 80mm is.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Fallkniven R2 in Elmax. 80mm blade. Though more "tactical", and sheath isn't minimal/lightweight.

Scratch that, too thick blade, at almost 5mm.

Hootch

Aug 19, 2015
Scotland
The Brisa / Enzo knives looks real possibles - all of the above mentioned ones appeal: Elver, Bobtail and Necker 70

Hootch

Aug 19, 2015
Scotland
Fallkniven R2 in Elmax. 80mm blade. Though more "tactical", and sheath isn't minimal/lightweight.

Scratch that, too thick blade, at almost 5mm.
Ah, yes, just going to say that the blade is really thick! For a bigger knife I wouldn’t mind so much but I even find my Casstrom Woodsman a little thick - great for batoning though. I’d say 3.5mm would be my max on this new one.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Alan wood does a knife called the PCT that may suit. And Rob Evans makes a model called the FTP that may also be suitable

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Non stainless are two Terävä knives from Varusteleka that might be interesting nevertheless.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE