Is there life left in the old axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Col.Decker

Apr 23, 2014
Newport, Shropshire
My dear old Nan passed away nearly 8 years ago. Anyhoo the other day my dad gave me 'her old chopper' that he'd found knocking around the garage.

c6c94062fdb42eec62b725676b06bb3c.jpg

(Tennis ball for scale ;) )

It's a 2 1/4 lb-er that she used it for chopping wood for the fire and I love that the back of the axe head is hammered flat after God knows how many years breaking up lumps of coal!!

Rubbish or not I'll keep it but do you recon it could be useful for camping?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No. No life left at all. Send it to me along with a $20 disposal fee and I'll see to it that it's properly discarded :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
There's a few more lifetimes left in that axe, mate!

Bare essential needs are a sharpen/reprofile. But you could go further and remove the mushrooming on the poll, reshape the cutting edge so its symetircal, remove all the rust and bring it to a shine, stain the handle and wax that beast up!

Not forgetting a new leather mask to keep your fingers safe and it will be a very handy tool to take in the woods!

(If you need help with advice/some one to do it for you send me a pm and we can sort I out for ya!)

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Reprofile and sharpen as necessary and put it to work.

The patina is a badge of honour and I wouldn't personally try and shine it up and destroy it's age and history in the process, but each to their own :)

A few wipes of linseed oil on the handle and some usage will soon darken that down a bit.

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE