Is there life in the old jaffa yet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
Scotland, Fife
Hi all, finally managed to free up some cash and as I'm suffering from kit withdrawal :rolleyes: am looking for a new tent. The problem is that I've never had a proper good nights sleep in a mid range modern tent, I always wake up with me and my down bag damp or wet from condensation. So I am looking into something canvas but more specifically a vango force ten mk3. I always found the soft flapping of cotton and the orange glow comforting when I camped with my dad years ago, but was wondering if the bombproof reliability and comfort is worth the hefty weight (6kg althought this could be reduced a tiny bit by replacing the 20 steel pegs with Ti?) my usual philosophy is that if it fits in my vulcan it comes with me but is this a bit much? It would bring my total kit weight for a weekend to 27kg for a 6 foot 1 inch 15 stone 18 year old. Although I dont usually walk far.

Also should add that I occasionally bring my dog with me so the added durability would help contain an excitable young boxer.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Firstly you should mark this post as Graphic so as not to offend Quixoticgeek with gratuitous weight carrying.

Something about reducing the weight of a 6kg tent with titanium pegs did actually make me laugh out loud. Your load sounds like mine from the 80's. Good on you. You are my size and a mile or two carrying that lot won't kill you.

I recently added a 4kg bedroll to a weekend kit I had got down to 8kgs not including food and water. When a man needs canvas he needs canvas!

I remember the force 10 fondly. You will get a moisture build up on canvas but really there is something odd going on if you are getting that wet in a modern tent. Are you opening up and pegging out all the guys on the vent flaps?

The Force 10 is a tough old tent and should hold up well if your dog is prepared to curl up with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2014
Scotland, Fife
Firstly you should mark this post as Graphic so as not to offend Quixoticgeek with gratuitous weight carrying.

Something about reducing the weight of a 6kg tent with titanium pegs did actually make me laugh out loud. Your load sounds like mine from the 80's. Good on you. You are my size and a mile or two carrying that lot won't kill you.

I recently added a 4kg bedroll to a weekend kit I had got down to 8kgs not including food and water. When a man needs canvas he needs canvas!

I remember the force 10 fondly. You will get a moisture build up on canvas but really there is something odd going on if you are getting that wet in a modern tent. Are you opening up and pegging out all the guys on the vent flaps?

The Force 10 is a tough old tent and should hold up well if your dog is prepared to curl up with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure why my luck is so bad with the tents I buy, perhaps I need to spend a bit more to see some good design :)

About the pegs :D something in the back of my mind is telling me such a heavy tent is a silly idea, so im grasping at any possibility I can to justify it to myself. And your right it is a bit dumb :rolleyes: I guess you can tell im not experienced at this ultralight thing, growing up I was taught the heavier something is the better quality it is and it's hard to drop that thought. I think I'll stop pretending I know what I'm talking about now, I'm not very good at it :)

And you're right, I'd rather enjoy my time there than enjoy the journey there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE