Once upon a time, in the middle of nowhere... (Pic heavy!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Horse meat is among my favourites, and I have yet to meet someone that have tasted it and doesn't like it. An underestimated source of food here!
People should eat more horse :)

Haha, I know Solvalla! Funny!

Ah, the lasagna crisis at Findus a few years back? Yes, I remember it! Crazy that horse meat could create such hysteria, but I guess it is a sign of a "spoiled" people in a rich society...

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
The horrible looking one in the Primus photo, or the one with sausages? :cool:

Not too keen on sausages myself... Unless they're the Iberic variety.
😝

But I'm not fussy , as long as the hotpot is hot and saucy then I'm game.

Add a bit of this ....
f0f152ed234b8c79a0dc27aecea8b5c3.jpg

..it will melt in your mouth
😱
😎

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have always wondered what they make Spam from.
Apparently some parts of a pig, I am just not sure which.
I have a theory though.
100% cartillage ( snout, joints, ears), mashed up, coloured and salted.That could explain the rubbery consistency.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
It really was meant as sarcasm Janne 😁.
I don't like the spam either...
Those processed meats really don't agree with me , but i do eat blood sausage and traditionally prepared "charcuterie " . That i could live on .

I'm still hopeful that one day i will try the big game meats such as bison and moose .
👍

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I did not know about the eastern woodland bison. They stood in the way of land clearing for cattle ranching so they must be eliminated.
And they were.

I'd rather put on my boots, grab my home-made fishing rod and try out the river Arya shows in her original post.

.....100%!👍

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The texture of an all-beef hotdog changes according to the % of lung in them.
Chicken McNuggets are made from cooked and pressure-washed chicken skeletons.
The screens in the floor drains save most of it. Bon appetit.

Oddly, we have two butchershops in our village now. None for years except the back ends of grocery stores.
The variety and quality of sausages, pepperoni and salami is a dream to behold. OK prices.

As a kid, I really liked the taste of the South American corned beef in a tin.
So I bought some. I ate some. Not what I remember at all.
I won't share my modern description.

I try not to imagine the source pig parts for Spam. Does the 'S' stand for 'sphincter,' maybe?
I think even less of the nutritional value. Very hungry and my sense of taste is long gone.
Fried with cinnamon & brown sugar is very good. A slop of maple syrup is even better.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Chicken McNuggets are made from cooked and pressure-washed chicken skeletons.
NO they are NOT. When was the last time you ate one, or looked inside. They might not be masterchef but they are not mush.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
To further derail the thread
But nevertheless add value to the discussion

https://youtu.be/a3P5tmkjHa8

Taken from :

Food Inc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ASIN=B00942G4UA&linkCode=as2&tag=onegrepla-20

Choice is a not just a preference,

I choose to not eat processed food if i can help it.
I certainly would not feed it to the kids.
But it's becoming harder and harder to avoid these .
Each to their own i guess...

So hats off to Arya and all the other homesteaders here, who grow their own and know where their meat comes from!👍👍

Good choice!

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Michael Pollan's books should be required reading for everyone.
Worthwhile reading them in order as he does make passing reference to his previous writing.
Maybe once every 6 weeks, I have a dose of prepared, convenience food.
I find it all suspect, knowing people who work in the packing houses.

I can name the people who grow and prepare a lot of my vegetables, baked goods, eggs and meats.
Maybe it is arranged out of necessity but it seems more easily done in the country.
I'm certain that Arya finds the same.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Pork Spam (the original variety) is 100% pork shoulder. Turkey Spam is something different obviously.

Turkey Shoulder?

But how do they achieve the bounciness?

HammockMan:
These days they can take the mush, chemically altered feathers and such delicate cuts of the chicken, process it, then extrude it so it looks, tastes and 'bites' like chicken breast.

I have eaten the result many times in restaurants in US.
If you know the anatomy of a chicken you can recognise this 'reformed' chicken meat.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Turkey Shoulder?

But how do they achieve the bounciness?......

It IS processed, but it's still 100% pork shoulder. Not even close to "bouncy" unlike some of the other brands. That said, the other brands also use fairly pure meat (it's just cheaper to do so nowadays)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....HammockMan:
These days they can take the mush, chemically altered feathers and such delicate cuts of the chicken, process it, then extrude it so it looks, tastes and 'bites' like chicken breast.....

Yes but such process costs more than just using real chicken meat so why would they?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Yes they can but no they don't!. It is not a solid lump of chicken, accepted, they are shaped to standard size and so have to be machined. They may only be 50% chicken but that is because the numbers reflect it is covered in batter. However if you think you will get hand reared chickens, who's flesh has been individually crafted by a retired shusi master, lovingly coated in a batter made by nuns whose other job is making pancakes for the Pope a few weeks before Easter..... oh I give up

Think what you like, they are cheap, tasty and good enough for my grandkids

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Take a piece home. Remove the bread crumbs gently, then separate the meat with your fingers into pieces, see the thickness of the individual meat fibers, and length.
Take a cooked piece of chicken breast and do the same.
You will see they are totally different.
Tests published by American Journal of Medicine has shown that the 'meat' is about 60 % blood vessels, skin, fat, pulverized gristle.

Do not take me wrong. Processed meat this style still has the full nutritionsl value, and utilizes the full animal, which I think is ethical. But they try to cheat us into believing it is 'breast meat', which is not!

Same as the Horse Meat scandal. The issue was not a substandard quality meat, the horse meat was pure muscle meat of top wuality, the issue was that they cheated the consumer. It was not what it said on the tin.��
Arya, sorry to go this far off topic!

How are your birds doing?

Last edited:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I'm not an off topic police type of person, so I don't really mind to be honest :)

My birds are doing fine, except from one of the new Wyandotte chickens that I had to end a couple of days ago. It got really sick and was in a lot of pain.
So, that sucks.... But **** happens now and then.

Today I'm sowing seeds of several vegetables :)
Corn, brussels sprouts, onions, snow peas (?), carrots, etc.. etc...

We are also finishing a round corral/round pen for breaking in the young and the crazy ones.
In other words, a busy day! :D

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Take a piece home. Remove the bread crumbs gently, then separate the meat with your fingers into pieces, see the thickness of the individual meat fibers, and length.
Take a cooked piece of chicken breast and do the same.
You will see they are totally different......

......Tests published by American Journal of Medicine has shown that the 'meat' is about 60 % blood vessels, skin, fat, pulverized gristle......

.....Do not take me wrong. Processed meat this style still has the full nutritionsl value, and utilizes the full animal, which I think is ethical. But they try to cheat us into believing it is 'breast meat', which is not!.......

1) You mean like we do with meat loaf or swarmas? The meat fibers and textures are altered deliberately

2) 60% blood vessels , skin, fat, gristle, etc is still real chicken; and a long way from bone. However you're wrong about that having the same nutritional value as lean meat (far too high in fat)

3) Not 'breast meat'? That depends. Some of them are also dark meat and some of them are also the waste bits you mentioned (or a processed combination of all that) On the other hand some places do advertise as only breast meat and, by law, are bound to be only as advertised. Do they or their suppliers cheat? Possibly, even probably, to some extent. But as i said earlier the economics just don't support a motive. real chicken is just too cheap and most of those off bits are already spoken for to the fertilizer industry and/or dog food industry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE