Life in the old billhook yet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive found or been given a few billhooks over the years in the bottom of old hedgerows or clearing out relatives sheds.

I had two left that were in quite a state. One was a Harrison No.5 but hardly had a hook or either of the edges left on it as it had been used a lot/sharpened the past.

Good thick steel though, so thought id turn it into a stick chopper for prepping the smaller stuff for the Wood stoves, without having to batton very often, and take the workload off the posh sharp SFA.

Took about an hour to sort out to the picture below. I cut off the last bit of the hook so it didn't bury itself into my face as lifted, and reground the better opposite back edge, used the stones and finally stropped to sharpen. A cutting tool for nowt. The area in front of the wooden handle ive rounded off so it can be used for closer work without the leverage, managed a few feather sticks too.The handle was split on one side, so spliced in a wood strip repair, sanded and oiled. Then peaned over the end to reset.

I wasnt going to take pics so havent got the billhook before pic so here it is next to possibly a "Yorkshire" in a similar condition but more of its origonal shape. I'll probably do this one up properly and keep as a hook, if I do any volunteering.

S5001495.jpg

S5001497.jpg

Chop chop

S5001501.jpg

Few mins later

S5001504.jpg

:)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers. Glad I did it as its easy to chop stick with and could be used for other jobs too, it was just sitting in the shed doing nothing all broken up.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Addo,
Welcome to the wonderfull world of Billhooks. There's a few of us out here in the bushcraft wilds that can't understand why these tools aren't used more by Bushcrafters. I used to use one daily at work and use them out "bushcrafting" all the time.
I find them better weight to usefullness than most axes, easier to carry and stow, and just such an all round good tool.
You may not want to have a look here http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm as wow some venerable old ladies looking for a good home... I try to stay away :rolleyes:
I think because Mr. Mears and others don't use them they aren't utilised a lot. But axes are generally left in situ whereas billhooks are to be carried I feel makes them a better tool. ( On that note I did have a wonderious snedding axe that was ........ lovely. But that's what it was, a snedding axe, yup I could fell with it if I needed too, but the hook was on my belt every day)
TTFN
Colin.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
When I help out at coppicing events or greenwood craft working, im the only one with an axe, everyone else uses various weights/shapes of billhooks for woodland work. Guess it a work specific thing or tradition.

I do like my many axes particularly for acurate or powerfull work, but that long heavy edge is very handy at times, with a hook and the pushing notch at the front many more tasks can be done and im warming to them quite a bit.

BTW That link is fatal :eek: Almost as bad as going to the stall as I was working next to it last year! :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
When I help out at coppicing events or greenwood craft working, im the only one with an axe, everyone else uses various weights/shapes of billhooks for woodland work. Guess it a work specific thing or tradition.

I do like my many axes particularly for acurate or powerfull work, but that long heavy edge is very handy at times, with a hook and the pushing notch at the front many more tasks can be done and im warming to them quite a bit.

BTW That link is fatal :eek: Almost as bad as going to the stall as I was working next to it last year! :D

Sorry Addo

It is kind've billhook p++n...

They are such good all round tools though aren't they.

Sorry again.
Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE