Life in the old axe yet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all,

This is my aunties axe which was my grandfathers first. It was in a pretty sorry condition when i got it but after some cleaning, spurred on by the fact that it was not only my grandads axe but the fact it was also an old GBA.

I cleaned up the bit as much as possible whilst trying not to remove too much metal. I could have gone all out and make it look like new but at the end of teh day its a tool and a tool to be used.

The new handle is yew with some exotic hardwood as a wedge (from the no idea wood pile). It was robin who mentioned that yew was used for axe handles and being the wood god he is i gave it a go. The mask is from one of my other GBA`s that was replaced with a posh one. I only had to re-rivit the strap and voila.

Pretty in some ways but still rough round the edges :eek:

I didnt take a before shot but like the handle,,covered in paint, rust and an edge like a rip saw:)
Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture001-2.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Cheers fer lookin :)

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
very nice!

An unusual handle design you have there. - I'm always interested when people make their own handles as you see so much variation.

atb
Andy

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
very nice!

An unusual handle design you have there.

atb
Andy

I tend to use my axe choked up to the bit more than i use it at full swing hence that bump :eek: So i thought why not try out my design on somone elses axe first and it works great ;)

Last edited:

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Congrads, that's job well done! A little envy from me for being able to make such nice handle! have a good time using it ;)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I tend to use my axe choked up to the bit more than i use it at full swing hence that bump :eek: So i thought why not try out my design on somone elses axe first and it works great ;)

yeah I figured it was something along those lines - looks like a good addition to me. I do a lot of work like that with the big GB swedish bearded axe.

Andy

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Congrads, that's job well done! A little envy from me for being able to make such nice handle! have a good time using it ;)

Its going back to my aunties soon :(
I used it today to rough out a stave and its a joy to use so gutted.
Possible excuses/reasons not to give it back appreciated :rolleyes:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland

you broke it. - ruined the temper when cleaning it up. - took it to a moot and got stolen?

Biker

On the way over to return it you got nabbed by Plod who confiscated it as a possible offensive weapon, since there was no wood in your car and you didn't have a really good excuse for carrying it. "Sorry Aunty I did try."

Even if your Aunts sees it afterwards she wouldn't recognise it after that work you put into it.

goodjob mate, really sweet looker too. Like that hump idea too.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
well, does she know the true value of it?
Maybe you could swap it with some plastic handle shiny one from a pound shop? :D :D
Or use the "special" look showing how much you want it!!!

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
Nice job. :) As to the keeping it, is your Aunt into bushcraft? If she is you're shafted (excuse the pun :p) Otherwise you could swap it out for any cheap new axe and tell her you cleaned it up to as new... she'll probably never spot the difference. ;)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I had to give it back before it was too late and i actually started considering some of the "untruths" above :)

Anyone any idea on the number stamped on it? Or any idea of dates of manufacture etc?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE