is the sap rising neer you yet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cool, if you ever want to see our native reptiles out and about over the Edge, gimme a shout. I used to look after the herps over there so can guarantee you see at least three/four of our six species of reptile.

catweasel

Tenderfoot
Dec 10, 2009
rotherham
just been for another walk round, its not started yet but all the signs say its not far off..... i think

i had a look last week but that walk ended in a trip to A&E and a few stitches

why do people dump glass bottles every where? :aargh4:

anyone else been tapping yet?

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
just been for another walk round, its not started yet but all the signs say its not far off..... i think

i had a look last week but that walk ended in a trip to A&E and a few stitches

why do people dump glass bottles every where? :aargh4:

anyone else been tapping yet?
Triesd a t the Norwich meet last weekend....nothing doing at all. How much longer do you recon? My daffs have just started to come through although no buds on anything this way as yet from my window anyway

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
dave53 here went up the woods by me on thursday tapped a birch with my new 1"auger
3rd of a billy tasted great a first for me and my nabours 3 yr old he loved it so much he drunk it all
regards dave

Tallyho

Feb 7, 2010
workington
Actually here's a question, what are you guys using to protect your sap when it rains? i.e. your collecting and your away from your collector and the rain starts coming down?
do you just let it dilute?

Just wack a lid over it mate or a large leaf or even some bark.

Tallyho

Feb 7, 2010
workington
any in s. scotland yet?
also how long does the rising last?

The sycamores and maples have finished here in cumbria. Poked a downy birch last week and the week before and it produced. Folks say don't bother with downy birch but it tastes ok. Had none from silvers and i've been checking for the last three weeks. End of feb 1st two in wks in march as a rule of thumb. Them rules seem to be changing just like the seasons and the rest of nature by the looks of things.

Tallyho

Feb 7, 2010
workington
Sycamore is a type of maple and its sap can be used to make maple syrup which is just boiled down sap. So yeah i reckon you could drink it but it wont be very sweet.

Yep you can drink it and its rather nice. Just like other saps don't drink loads or you'll get eased stomach flows. ;)

Tallyho

Feb 7, 2010
workington
Cheers, I might give that a go with a pencil thin piece and a small hole. All this talk of rotting hollow trees because of our tapping has got me concerned.

Will probs get roasted for saying this especially by the equipment salespeople. If you bore into a tree and then plug the hole with either another type of tree branch or even a branch plug made from the same tree, it still leaves the tree badly open to infections, fungus, rot etc. Once you've breached the bark and the cambium layer its pretty much an open wound. Shoving a plug in only really stops the sap coming out and the tree bleeding to death. When the plug rots then what? I think you can guess. It doesnt always happen and yes the tree heals fine sometimes.The best way and the proper thing in my mind to do and if you really care about nature is to pierce the bark at an upwards angle with a knife etc and pop a peg etc in. Don't wack it in to hard. If you want more sap put more taps in. 2-3 up cut taps are ok per tree. Have more patience instead of big holes etc use lots of the smaller up cuts. Then when done push the bark back down and give it a squash. This helps the tree heal itself just like a human cut. The plug attracts fungus and bacteria as it is essentially now dead wood just shoved into the living tree. It makes my blood boil the amount of trees that are dead near me from impatient folks with no knowledge of the damage they are doing just for a drink. If you don't know the proper ways then stick to boiling water guys. The trees give and never want nothing in return. A constant source of materials and a home for many creatures. A little respect back wouldnt hurt. As you can tell i'm a tree hugger.:lmao:

Tallyho

Feb 7, 2010
workington
Littlebiglane is that a previous tap wound in pictures 3 and 5? Looks like it. The wood looks buggered even in that little hole and weeping from the bark n cambium. Thats all it takes to kill the tree fella slowly but surely or quickly depending on what fungus gets in.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
thanks for the tips tallyho, i have followed you advice fully today. have go 3 on the go and have a friend collecting them for me 2moro, (going to hospital to have a baby in morning). i tried a tap on sat anoon till this morning and got bout 2.5 litres from it, and i cant believe how cool it tastes!
wahoo! free booze!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE