Instant tea?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
So long as you look on instant tea as just a hot drink and nothing like 'real' tea then its OK

This is for me the best I've tried

006715.jpg

and closest to the real deal.

Red squirrel

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2012
Broadstairs
Red Bush is pretty good without milk, or for some proper tea Earl Grey on its own with sugar and a slice of lemon, it needs to be drunk from some fine bone china though ;)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Before you all dash out and buy Earl Grey (or Lady Grey) to try, be aware that the oil in it can upset some stomachs. Mine's one of them.

I just rip open a tea bag and pour boiing water on it. That makes tea of a sort.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
As long as it has about five heaped spoonfuls of sugar in it, any Tea is fine, I don't even know if it is Tea or Coffee, and
Condensed milk is just great with anything. I don't know why I stay around 12 stone, though I am just under 6 feet tall.
Tea or Coffee without sugar is pure poison.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I once worked on a vivier crabber out of Portsmouth Hard, the Galwad-y-Mor. The skipper brewed instant white with two sugars tea while his crew were shooting gear. At the time I was more bothered by the fact that we were risking our lives on the deck shooting full steam on autopilot rather than by the horrible tea. I lasted a week on that boat...

Looking for a picture of the Galwad-y-Mor just now I've just discovered that the crew were later busted trying to import massive amounts of coke:

_53167029_464.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13632790

The skipper was top right. I filled the position of the brain damaged looking one in the centre.

So there you have it, instant tea is a gateway drug to much worse things - you have been warned

Last edited:

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I once worked on a vivier crabber out of Portsmouth Hard, the Galwad-y-Mor. The skipper brewed instant white with two sugars tea while his crew were shooting gear. At the time I was more bothered by the fact that we were risking our lives on the deck shooting full steam on autopilot rather than by the horrible tea. I lasted a week on that boat...

Looking for a picture of the Galwad-y-Mor just now I've just discovered that the crew were later busted trying to import massive amounts of coke:

_53167029_464.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13632790

The skipper was top right. I filled the position of the brain damaged looking one in the centre.

So there you have it, instant tea is a gateway drug to much worse things - you have been warned

Who'd a thunk it, still not the first time. I remember hearing a couple of boats talking over the VHF years back, whilst we were steaming south out of the minch, "Who's that stood off that point?" "Ach, thats yer man he's been there for a couple of days now" crackle crackle, "Aye, probably at the drug smuggling". Sure enough, a year or so later one of the fellows in question, out of Ullapool, was jailed for coke smuggling.

For what it's worth I wouldn't have been happy shooting gear with a skipper with one eye on the pot and the other on the instant tea either :eek:

The only instant tea I've had has been truly awful, but I can completely understand the need for a home comfort out in the field, especially on a drafty day. Recently I've started drinking very weak (couldn't call it black) earl grey when up out and about and I'm finding it surprisingly acceptable. I'm another non milk taker mind but if you'd told me a couple of years ago that I'd be up the hill brewing very weak earl grey the following year I'd have laughed.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I can see a convenience using instant to make iced tea. But if you're going to boil water anyway (as you would for hot tea) how is instant any more convenient? It certainly isn't as good in either case,

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Milk powder is best mixed in cold water in a separate mug, adding the powder to a hot brew is asking for trouble.

The other point to note is that most brands of powdered milk are dried skimmed milk, which is also asking for trouble if it's a mug of tea you're making.

So my top tips:

1. Buy the Nido brand of dried milk, which is real milk i.e. none of your 'skimmed milk' which obviously isn't actually milk because milk is approx 10% fat, not 1 or 2% fat.

2. Mix it with cold water in a separate mug.

All your thoughts of coffee, fruit infusions and the like can then be safely forgotten about.

Disclaimer: my personal advice only, beverage preference is a lifestyle choice and we ought not to judge!

I have heard lots of good things about Nido. It is a shame it is not that easy to find.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think he means that if you use the instant tea with the milk powder in you'll have white iced tea - which is just wrong, so you'd have to get black instant tea for making the iced version.

I've never seen instant tea with milk already in it.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Nobody really drinks iced tea over here, and probably less than one in a thousand people drinks black tea. I always struggle to keep milk when out...

I now drink black tea when out. The transition is not so hard, although I need a bit of sugar.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE