Instant tea?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Over the years I've tried loads of different brews when out and finally settled on black coffee for ease. You still can't beat a good cuppa though, so I've tried using milk powder and not had great results: often ending up with a brew that's undrinkable!

Does anyone use instant white tea, and if so, which one?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Typhoo Qt isn't too bad, as long you drink it strong. Readily available in most supermarkets. Still doesn't beat a proper brew but for convenience it's a good choice.

typhoo-qt_1.jpg

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Steer well clear of instant cardboard (sorry tea).... when out I drink black tea with sugar, works well and I"m now used to not having milk.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Another option is green tea; refreshing, good for you and tastes nice without milk or sugar.

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
I just carry 1ltr of milk, you may moan about the weight but you will feel better after a proper brew.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can't drink milk and the thought of milky tea is nauseating. Drink it black, maybe add sugar and it lets you actually taste the tea. Gunpowder's good, so is Lady Grey but Lapsang Souchong really is a campfire tea :D

If you really 'have' to have milk, can you manage the condensed milk in your tea instead of milk and sugar. It has the advantage of being available in a squeezy tube. Neat and tidy, no spill and no spoil.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. Sorry Jim.b, I wasn't trying to be contrary :eek:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cant bear white instant tea, but I have tried the fruity Twinings instant tea (mixed berry and "mulled wine"). They are lovely. A bit sugary but packed with flavour. Like a cross between tea and hot Ribena - I like them - not as a tea substitute but an alternative.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Milk powder is best mixed in cold water in a separate mug, adding the powder to a hot brew is asking for trouble.

The other point to note is that most brands of powdered milk are dried skimmed milk, which is also asking for trouble if it's a mug of tea you're making.

So my top tips:

1. Buy the Nido brand of dried milk, which is real milk i.e. none of your 'skimmed milk' which obviously isn't actually milk because milk is approx 10% fat, not 1 or 2% fat.

2. Mix it with cold water in a separate mug.

All your thoughts of coffee, fruit infusions and the like can then be safely forgotten about.

Disclaimer: my personal advice only, beverage preference is a lifestyle choice and we ought not to judge!

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I do like a nice cup of tea in hot weather, a tea bag weighs next to nothing so easy enough to carry enough for a few days out and about. A few sachets of sugar in as well and if really desperate some UHT milk in sachets in the kit as well, Dairystix are 12ml each and can be bought in Tesco.

After all a cup of tea without milk and sugar is pretty useless nutritionally, so without you could just drink warm water.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Well that is one way to look at it...:lmao:

Nestea was one of the MoDs early attempts, thankfully it got better.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I can't drink milk and the thought of milky tea is nauseating. Drink it black, maybe add sugar and it lets you actually taste the tea. Gunpowder's good, so is Lady Grey but Lapsang Souchong really is a campfire tea :D

If you really 'have' to have milk, can you manage the condensed milk in your tea instead of milk and sugar. It has the advantage of being available in a squeezy tube. Neat and tidy, no spill and no spoil.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. Sorry Jim.b, I wasn't trying to be contrary :eek:

Lady Grey! Is that the one with Bergamot in it?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The only instant white tea I've liked is the UK MOD stuff in single foil packets, actually tastes like half decent tea.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The only instant white tea I've liked is the UK MOD stuff in single foil packets, actually tastes like half decent tea.

After the recipie for the beans you put up the other day I'm supprised you can taste anything at all.

Thanks for all the replies folks!

Copperhead, I grabbed some QT today and as you say it's OK when its strong but seems to leave a load of scum on top which put me off a bit... and green tea is just... wrong;)

Jim and Wings - liquid milk is definately my preferred option and I'd forgotten about the little uht sachets.

Red - I have to admit I quite like the fruit powder teas and definitely won't rule them out.

Bluffer - That's exactly what I was after and I will try it out this weekend when I'm out.

Mary and treadlightly - I'm not sure why I haven't tried black tea before, but I just had my first cup and it's not bad at all!

Stu - I'm having a cup now and it's not too bad either, but just tastes like sugar to me :lmao:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
A little tip with the QT is to add a drop of cold water into the dry powder and give it a good mix to form a paste and add your hot water to that. Stop it going scummy and you can drink your brew quicker :).

Jun 27, 2011
Canada
You Brits are so advanced! Who would have thought that THE nation of tea drinkers would come up with instant tea?!
It's like you're an advanced alien civilization. :You_Rock_ Here in Canada our regular tea is palid in comparison to yours. Our Tetley brand is just passable, let alone us having instant... Going to have to write our Prime Minister to see what he can do about this deplorable situation. Until then it'll just be :coffee:
Cheers
Alex

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
You Brits are so advanced! Who would have thought that THE nation of tea drinkers would come up with instant tea?!
It's like you're an advanced alien civilization. :You_Rock_ Here in Canada our regular tea is palid in comparison to yours. Our Tetley brand is just passable, let alone us having instant... Going to have to write our Prime Minister to see what he can do about this deplorable situation. Until then it'll just be :coffee:
Cheers
Alex

before you get too carried away...instant tea isn't tea at all it is an advanced form of liquid cardboard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE