Campsite Coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I’ve always liked the idea of a French press for making coffee, since I first saw one, but I’ve always been underwhelmed by the results. Even when I used the same set-up daily for a few years and actively tried to optimise it, I never quite got there. Not sure what I’m not getting right, but I’d love for it to really work for me.
Well I can tell how I do it.
-Dark roast beans.
-25g beans for 0.4 l water. 50g beans for 0.6 l
-Coarse grind, size of grains ~0.5mm.

Water matters alot. Did you use tap water? If so, try using bottled water instead.

Here is a lot of advice:

Reactions: SaraR

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ve always liked the idea of a French press for making coffee, since I first saw one, but I’ve always been underwhelmed by the results. Even when I used the same set-up daily for a few years and actively tried to optimise it, I never quite got there. Not sure what I’m not getting right, but I’d love for it to really work for me.
Try an Espro.

Lavvujim

Apr 5, 2022
Wiltshire
How do you brew your coffee when out and about?

We're not hardcore campers, but we go campsite camping with the family a few times each year. This year one site only had electric-hook-up spaces left, so we took full advantage and took the Nespresso machine. At home, we've used semi-decent espresso machines, and moka pots before ending up with the Nespresso machine out of sheer convenience.

The recent camping trip got me wondering about coffee when we're back to camping without power. What do other campers do?

I always manage to burn the milk, so I've bought a disc of copper to act as a diffuser, and I'm waiting for a copper-bottomed milk pan to arrive which may or may not be too heavy/bulky to take with us, but we not that strapped for space/weight. Hopefully that's the milk problem sorted.

I'm tempted to give a Moka pot another try. I find the flavour can be a bit too fruity for my liking, and the coffee is normally rocket fuel in terms of the caffeine levels, but I think that's just because I have too much.

I'm tempted by the handheld Wacaco espresso makers, but I had one of the early models and it broke almost immediately. I've no doubt they've sorted out a lot of the issues, but it is also a faff. Often I'm making coffee for others, and making multiple shots is laborious.

I'm interested to hear what others do.
I have a couple of methods, I have an old school enamel coffee percolator which gets popped on the fire if I have the van near by, I also use the Wacaco pipamoka which is a great way to make good coffee without the mess but for most hikes and days out it’s a coffee bag!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE