Campsite Coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bullwinkle

May 1, 2022
South Gloucestershire
When I lived in Canada and canoe camped, took a percolator with me, I could put on a grill placed over my fire, and brought recently ground beans from home with me. Some of the best coffee I ever drank and the smell in the morning was worth getting up for, particularly if the lake or river had morning mist on it !
I don't own a canoe now in the UK and since I primarily now wild camp in Dartmoor where no fires are allowed, I just bring coffee/latte packages from Kenco with me. Not quite the same, but works in a pinch.

R_Fonseca

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2021
Dublin
www.fonseca.ie
At home I normally use an espresso machine or a French press depending how I feel.

Camping is just instant coffee most of the time because it's easy and everything tastes better out there anyway. On occasion I'll pack a percolator if I feel like carrying it. I like percolated coffee but never make it at home.

Reactions: Minotaur

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
When I lived in Canada and canoe camped, took a percolator with me, I could put on a grill placed over my fire, and brought recently ground beans from home with me. Some of the best coffee I ever drank and the smell in the morning was worth getting up for, particularly if the lake or river had morning mist on it !
The coffee bags are surprisingly good and Taylors do them in their posh coffee so if you like the one you can get a coffee bag.

I don't own a canoe now in the UK and since I primarily now wild camp in Dartmoor where no fires are allowed, I just bring coffee/latte packages from Kenco with me. Not quite the same, but works in a pinch.
Check out our canals as they go everywhere. Just remember you are supposed to be a member of British Waterways to use our waterways, not expensive for canoes.
Does anyone canoe wild camp in the UK? Not sure how you would do it off the top of my head.
I really like the expensive Aldi instant coffee, it Colombian something. I drink it black so it easier.

Reactions: SaraR

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
Get yourself an Aeropress and a decent hand grinder like a Timemore c2. You can get around the paper filter usage by getting an stainless filter which is reusable. You can only get decent coffee by grinding the beans fresh in my opinion.

G

Reactions: Herman30

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
You can only get decent coffee by grinding the beans fresh in my opinion.

G
Agree.
I started buying whole beans and grinding myself because I drank so little that the pregrinded coffee package (0.5kg) started gettig rancid before I could finish it.

But now that I have discovered how much better selfgrinded coffee is, my consumption has gone up.

Reactions: SaraR

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
MSR Mugmate or the Finum equivalent.
I will be trying this though, just need to work out how to pack up the pot support :)

arthem

Jun 14, 2021
United Kingdom
As someone who grinds and makes their own espresso at home, if I am car-camping with family its either an aeropress or mokka pot depending on the facilities available, if I am camping outside of campsites then its Nescafe Gold instant.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
if I am car-camping with family its either an aeropress ....camping outside of campsites then its Nescafe Gold instant.
Don´t understand, why not aeropress outside of campsites? Surely you have a small gas stove or other means for for boiling water?

arthem

Jun 14, 2021
United Kingdom
Don´t understand, why not aeropress outside of campsites? Surely you have a small gas stove or other means for for boiling water?
Normally when camping outside a campsite I don't take my grinder and beans along with me so I prefer to have instant coffee than pre-ground beans.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I like your thinking.

If I'm going for an overnight, I don't mind carrying the extra weight, I'll carry pre-ground coffee beans and an Espro Travel Cup.

If I'm going as light as possible (which is nowhere near the UL crowd expected weights), I'll carry coffee bags. Much better tasting than instant sachets and not very much heavier. Instant sachets taste so dull to me.

Either way, no matter how light I go, I'll never sacrifice coffee for less weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: arthem
Jan 1, 2013
Bath, Somerset, UK
I brew my coffe excactly the same way at home as outside = french press. Also grind my beans myself.
Only the brewing equipment differs. At home I have french press made of glass and the one for outside use is made of titanium. At home I boil the water in an electric kettle, outside on gas or alcohol stove.
Yes! Very simple when you know how, eh? I do exactly the same and get the same results as home. And I don't need lots of different equipment.

Reactions: Robson Valley

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Yes! Very simple when you know how, eh? I do exactly the same and get the same results as home. And I don't need lots of different equipment.
I’ve always liked the idea of a French press for making coffee, since I first saw one, but I’ve always been underwhelmed by the results. Even when I used the same set-up daily for a few years and actively tried to optimise it, I never quite got there. Not sure what I’m not getting right, but I’d love for it to really work for me.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It's after 4 AM and you're making me thirsty.

I boil enough water to fill a Lagostina to the top metal band.
I cut open one or two Keurig pods and dump that/them in.
Add the water, give the whole business a very vigorous stir, set the filter in the top while I cut up some piece of fruit.

Push the filter down, slow and steady = done deal when it bottoms out. The finest particles escape the mesh filter so that very last swallow in the mug can be quite muddy.

Reactions: R_Fonseca

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE