Campsite Coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
At home we use ground coffee and a paper coffee filter in one of those cheap plastic filter holders. I can't see that being too much trouble to take camping if you're happy to lug a machine about. Or a fine tea strainer. You can then either boil the coffee in a pan (wrong) or add boiling water to the coffee in a pan (right), wait for a while and then filter into cups.
Been looking everywhere for those cheap plastic filter holders. Where did you get them? Off the internet I suppose? Not been in the shops for years. Glad to see somebody still using them.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've used a Lagostina coffee press for a decade or longer. Somehow, I have acquired an extra one, small size, and also a big/double size. They are ideal for loose tea as well.

No broken glass so far but it occurs to me that an all-metal rig would be bash-worthy.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I sometimes drink coffee, mostly green tea. The few times with coffee I have noticed the greatest differences with type of roast and the quality of water. At the cottage where I drink basically spring water all coffee tastes better.

Reactions: Minotaur

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Been looking everywhere for those cheap plastic filter holders. Where did you get them? Off the internet I suppose? Not been in the shops for years. Glad to see somebody still using them.
I've actually picked up a spare recently from our highstreet. It was from a homehardware store, the type of store that has all sorts of things other places no longer stock, such as household candles.

Reactions: gibson 175

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Thanks to the hipsters' interest in filter coffee, filter holders seem to be much more easily available nowadays. At a premium price of course...

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've used a Lagostina coffee press for a decade or longer. Somehow, I have acquired an extra one, small size, and also a big/double size. They are ideal for loose tea as well.

No broken glass so far but it occurs to me that an all-metal rig would be bash-worthy.
Yeah, I put loose tea in the little stainless steel French Press I have in my van.
Its small enough to just fit (if I wobble it on the way in slightly) my van cup holder and being stainless it's Work Van Proof.
Think I've had it for knocking on five years now.
Half embarassed to admit that it only occurred to be a few months ago to put tea in it as well as use it for coffee though.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I use an aeropress

This, in spades. I use the same thing at home everyday and the woods is no different.

I do wish I could pack it a little better, no nest it better with single brew kit in mind.. Ace bit of kit and my staple is an illy of some description.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I sometimes drink coffee, mostly green tea. The few times with coffee I have noticed the greatest differences with type of roast and the quality of water. At the cottage where I drink basically spring water all coffee tastes better.
Me too. I really like the Coffee bags. Taylors do them and their Lava Java is my favourite coffee. On 1 or 2 day trips these make the most sense to me.
I also have a couple of what I think is called Vietnamese coffee filters. They are like a metal filter. I have these for 3 or more days however they have become more of a car camping piece of kit.
I have recently seen that you can get actual re-useable coffee/tea cloth bags so might give them a try. Matcha and coffee would both work in them apparently.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lagostina press pistons have metal mesh filters. That implies that there will be fines to settle out in my coffee. Just get in the habit of not drinking that "last drop," but swill out the mug for cup #2.

I agree with you all = water quality matters. Good, bad or indifferent, you may be fortunate to have consistent water quality for the year.

I don't. My tap water comes off a melting mountain snowfield and glacier, about 5 miles west of my kitchen windows. Generally, I've never tasted better. I'm not fussy but there's a couple of gallons of my village water with me when I visit the city. Little too tasty, little too much chlorine, that I was used to, 20+ years ago.

The big May/June melt is about to start, the water will color up a little and the texture of ice cubes will change a lot.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use a Bodum two part coffee filter similar to this

Sadly they discontinued it a few years ago but I do know I paid a lot less for it than the Amazon one. It makes a great coffee and is easy to use and store.
I've used SwissGold filters for 20 years. They are still working brilliantly. No papers or other waste, simple and great coffee

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
At home this:

Water held at 92c in a temp controlled kettle. Taken with honey and cream. Steep for 2 or 4 minuted before pressing.

In the outdoors this:

Water boiled in a JetBoil/other gas stove and left for 1 min with the lid off, before pouring into the Espro. Stir and leave for 2 or 4 min depending on how you like your coffee. Taken with dark brown sugar.

Coffee I use: Single Origin, course ground. 18g to 300ml of water.

I've used pour overs, aeropress, moka, KokeKaffee and they're all great methods. But for convenience I have stayed with the French Press method.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

For home use we have twin walled insulated presses - in all stainless steel. Must be 15 years old and look like new

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE