Insect wipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Widgy grub

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
Soon be that time of year again, what repellent wipes do you find most effective...?
I have tried the repel x ones didn't find them that good....

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Check out the Stupidly Simple range of stuff available in the Maker's Market on this site - Amazingly efficient products!

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Cheers fellas some more products in the pipeline, one being a pine tar soap the other a pain relief balm as well as the midge and tick repellents.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Thanks
The stupidly simple product,
Is it good protection against midges / gnats
How long between applications ..
Does it stain clothes etc ?

Its been tested in Sweden and Galloway to good effect so I would say yes it is effective against Midges/Gnats
one application should last a good few hours before reapplying, and it might stain whites as it contains Pine tar, also take my advice stay well away from DEET.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Interested in the pine tar soap when it becomes available :D

DEET works, but I am wary of anything that kills anything so effectively. I wonder just what it's doing to me too :sigh:
There's a 'natural' version in Autan though that I have found to be good. HWMBLT didn't find it so effective agin keds though.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
When out and about I soak a hanky in the Stupidly Simple bug oil and keep that handy in a zip-lock; I can then just smear on to reapply to the bits like forehead, arms and neck where it might need re-doing 'cause of sweat etc.

I don't wear white shirts, but I've had no problems with marking clothes, and after each trip I wash the hanky I've used as a wipe; they've always come clean.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I find a Picaridin based spray most effective. I much prefer it over deet due to it's lack of oiliness and cloth eating. It's magic against midges. Autan pump spray is top choice. I top up with Wilmas Nordic summer or Stupidly Simple.

I've had Galloway midges swarming over and trying to suck the blood out of Repel-X wipes, about as much use as asking the insects nicely to stop biting.

catapultkid

Apr 9, 2014
UK
I was given a free sample of a new repellent at a trade fair last year and it was brilliant. Worked in Turkey and India when everyone was getting eaten alive. I am normally bitten all over the place but not a single bite, also worked at home with our awful midges. Just had a follow up email off the company who make it asking me what I thought about it. DEET free and it smells great.
Highland Strength anti-mosquito
www.highlandstrength.co.uk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've tried the Stupidly Simple stuff and it was very good and I loved the smell of it, sort of a bushcraft aftershave:eek: Nice and smokey.

Something I don't like the smell of (it smells of marmite!) but is very effective for me against midge and my arch nemesis ticks is the Don't Bite Me Patch it's also DEET free and the patch lasts up to 36 hours.

DEET is effective but there are cancer links with prolonged usage and as it's used as a plastic softener in industry you know it damages a lot of synthetics you may be wearing/using. (I had to replace the lenses on an expensive pair of Oakley glasses because of it.)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've tried the Stupidly Simple stuff and it was very good and I loved the smell of it, sort of a bushcraft aftershave:eek: Nice and smokey.

Something I don't like the smell of (it smells of marmite!) but is very effective for me against midge and my arch nemesis ticks is the Don't Bite Me Patch it's also DEET free and the patch lasts up to 36 hours.

DEET is effective but there are cancer links with prolonged usage and as it's used as a plastic softener in industry you know it damages a lot of synthetics you may be wearing/using. (I had to replace the lenses on an expensive pair of Oakley glasses because of it.)

Can't find any credible evidence to back this up?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE