I'm thinking about sacking Sky TV

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Yep another vote for getting rid of sky [AND the telly at the same time]

I thought it was just me who was odd in not having a telly - I've just seen someone else who hasn't, yay :) It really does free up alot of time even if you don't 'watch it that much'.

To be honest I do miss documentary/ learning type stuff. But the last time I had a telly [or even saw one] it was just filled with rubbish. Now I just listen to music/ radio, much better.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... but i think its tough to get a static IP without going all business, if you need one your end for Heavier VPN stuff that is...

There are plenty of IPV6 static *ranges* going free, and you can set that up on a free service even if your IPV4 address is dynamic. Forget IPV4, it's had its day.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
There are plenty of IPV6 static *ranges* going free, and you can set that up on a free service even if your IPV4 address is dynamic. Forget IPV4, it's had its day.

They have been saying that for a long time ;)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
We got the sky increasing price letter the other day,trouble is we cant get virgin here otherwise id go for that,as for BT in my view a complete rip off you wont believe how much they charge for us to have broadband unlimited,and phone makes sky look positively cheap by comparsion. Sky gets used alot by us though i have to say, repeat after repeat sometimes does my noggin in!

resnikov

We got the sky increasing price letter the other day,trouble is we cant get virgin here otherwise id go for that,as for BT in my view a complete rip off you wont believe how much they charge for us to have broadband unlimited,and phone makes sky look positively cheap by comparsion. Sky gets used alot by us though i have to say, repeat after repeat sometimes does my noggin in!

We are the same. To get round the adverts sky+ your shows and then you can skip the adverts.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
We left Sky a year ago. They kept sending me enticements to return (Half price for 6 months etc) I kept saying no, they kept sending enticements. I sent the enticements back with a note indicating I would sooner stick pins into my genitals than return to Sky. The invitations to return have now stopped.

If you leave, or threaten to leave, the price comes right down. Whether you stick pins into your knackers or not is entirely up to you.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Does anyone VPN over Virgin, I need it for call-out with work?

In short, yes :) Lucy needs to dial in to work (NHS) once a week.

Ive just swapped virgin packages and am on phone line, Medium TV and 30mb broadband + TIVO. If you are a new customer, you get a reduced rate for a few months too.

Also, they are rolling out a "double your speed" thing for existing customers, so in a few weeks my 30mb will become 60mb FOC :)

Always had good service from them - well apart from Virgin mobile - they're a pile o sh@£.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Cancel sky then wait a couple of weeks ... when I cancelled they gave me all packages inc films, kids and sport for free for 6 months. Just need to cancel in August and I'll have paid nothing.

Worth trying as you don't lose anything.

Snozz

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
rents have the all singing amd dancing sky deal but when i move out i am NOT having a tv or a land line nope i am having my laptop and my tablet phone and a tmobile internet dongle

its so much easier and you then dont need a tv licence either

Never bothered with Sky even though the other half wants it. I just don't see the point when there is some pretty decent stuff on freeview, even with the reruns of Top Gear. Sadly we wont be able to get any of these fancy websites where you stream the movies to your tv/computer, not on a 0.5MBit connection. :(

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Cancelled Sky about two years ago now - not a problem. Freeview has more than I want anyway and the computer is there for the various iplayer type channels. Go for it, save a lot of dosh and tell Murdoch to get stuffed in to the bargain.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
This thread has been interesting and informative, even though I don't have a TV.

Can we do Vodafone next, or should that be a new thread? :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cancelled sky a while ago and spent 6 months subscription on a FreeSat box- best move I made I think.

KP

My 42" plasma is on the blink (now 40") so a new TV is on the cards pretty soon, I was toying with getting one with built in Freesat, is it any good KP?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE