Alpkit Jeanius - Water-Resistant Jeans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
As many of you will be aware, Alpkit are a UK company with a reputation for designing and selling innovative products at very good prices. Earlier this year, I heard on one of the Backpacking Light podcasts that Alpkit were bringing a couple of climbing sacks and some water-resistant jeans onto the market later in the year.

Jeans are frequently villified in the outdoor press - and rightly so - because of the properties of denim when wet. It absorbs water and stays wet, rapidly cooling the person wearing them and becoming stiff and uncomfotable in the process. They are not recommended outdoor wear in anything but the driest conditions.

But most of us like wearing jeans for the fit, the hardwearing material and the comfort. Alpkit have taken the fit and design of jeans and had them made using 'Epic', a water-resistant fabric that looks just like denim and also has some 'stretch'. They have called the product 'Jeanius' (geddit?). So, whilst these won't replace proper mountain/winter trousers, they should be a good pair of hardwearing outdoor pants that you could also happily wear down to the pub, shops, etc.

The details/pictures are at the following page:

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16387&category_id=248

The jeans cost £55 but, as a Colab Forum member, I was able to get them for £35 as long as I provided some feedback on the trousers. The 'review' I did was posted on the Alpkit Colab Forum and I have included it below for your info. If you are genuinely interested in these, have a look at the various threads on the Colab forum for more reviews and feedback.

It looks like most of the first production run has now been sold and it remains to be seen what changes (if any) Alpkit will make to the design for the next production run.

"Well, time to earn my £20 discount.

I’ve had a pair of Jeanius (Jeaniuses? Jeanii?) for nearly a month now, and I’ve been putting them through their paces while doing a tree surgery course! This is training that covers the use and maintenance of a chainsaw, felling and crosscutting, woodchipper and stumpgrinder operation, tree and pole climbing, aerial rescue and use of the chainsaw from a rope and harness. And going to the pub. The only activity I couldn’t use these jeans for was actually using a chainsaw – we had to wear special trousers for this.
Whilst I wouldn’t perhaps heap the accolades that I have seen elsewhere on this pair of jeans, they are certainly ‘different’ and let you undertake a variety of outdoor activities in a guilt-free manner. Anyway, how did it go?

They were a good fit (I’m a 32” waist but buy 34” trousers as I seem to have chunky thighs), not too baggy, knees were fine where they are, and the boot-cut allows them to be worn over a variety of …er… boots. The articulated cut and slight stretch in the material meant that the only reason I wouldn’t be able to throw my leg over a branch would be due to limitations in my own flexibility.

The material itself is a bit of an enigma for me. It is most definitely more water resistant than denim but is certainly not as water resistant as has been made out by some. These are not waterproof! Alpkit don’t claim that they are so anyone who tells you this needs to curb their enthusiasm. Oh, and pouring water down your pants does not really truly test the worth of these jeans. Kneeling in the mud, sliding across wet branches, working in the rain, pulling dirty kit around trailers, climbing/bouldering at the local crag, biking to work in the rain, etc, is probably a slightly more realistic assessment.

One of the toughest tasks we had during the course was the burn day: it rained heavily and we were dragging dirty wet tree cut-offs out of the woods for burning. This went on for about eight hours and we were all soaked and covered in mud and dirt at the end – I stayed dry for longer than I thought and I didn’t manage to tear or rip any holes or seams, even though I caught the belt loops and pockets on numerous occasions. Excellent.

In general, they stayed largely dry inside and dried pretty quickly too, which meant I felt a lot warmer and more comfortable than I would have done in wet jeans. Furthermore, when they are wet, they are not as cold and ‘clingy’ as denim either.

The material does not feel exactly like denim –it’s slightly smoother and, when dry, feels a little bit ‘sticky’ and artificial. It doesn’t have the same comfort factor against the skin as a pair of your favourite old Levis. Small price to pay, I would say, and this is only a little niggle really. Doesn’t affect the usage.

These jeans wash well and don’t seem to lose their water resistance – I’ve put them through four washes so far. In fact, the qualities of the material mean that dirt does not seem to in-grain as much as it does with standard denim and they stay ‘cleaner’ for longer.

I have no comment really about the button fly other than it works and my lad never fell out when it wasn’t supposed to. The fact that I have four fingers and a thumb on each hand allows me to do buttons up and undo them at will. Go figure.

Overall, I’m pleased with the cut and the material. It takes the hardwearing properties of denim and combines it with a very useful water resistance. They’re fine for easy local walks in poor weather, cragging, bouldering, gardening and climbing trees. The fact that you can use them with confidence in a variety of weather conditions and tasks means you’ll probably get 30% more use out of Jeanius than a normal pair of jeans. They’re worth it for that fact alone. Agreed, I wouldn’t replace my Mammut Schoeller mountain trousers with these – that’s not really what they are designed for. Use them sensibly and within their design limitations and you will have a great pair of jeans. Well done Alpkit – pure Jeanius. Now do a pair for the ladies."

The only thing I would add having now read through a number of other reviews on the forum is that these are NOT, repeat NOT, waterproof. They are water resistant! Do not buy these if you are expecting a pair of waterproof pants - you will be disappointed.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Curse you Mike! I tried to get a pair in my size but they'd ran out, then tried to get the next size up.. yup ran out of those too. Oh well, perhaps next year if and when they run them. Thanks for letting us know your thoughts on them, I for one will watch with interest on the Alpkit site.

Nag.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
OT - interesting that you do a burn day for getting rid of the wood.

I work for Env Health and we advise that all wood should be taken off site (usually chipped first as it is easier to move) and desposed of via another mathod in order to prevent Statutory Nuisance. We get alot of smoke complaints related to tree work.

Guess if you are in a field / wood miles from anywhere it is differennt as there is no one to complain.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
OT - interesting that you do a burn day for getting rid of the wood.

I work for Env Health and we advise that all wood should be taken off site (usually chipped first as it is easier to move) and desposed of via another mathod in order to prevent Statutory Nuisance. We get alot of smoke complaints related to tree work.

Guess if you are in a field / wood miles from anywhere it is differennt as there is no one to complain.

Actually, we did chip some of it (for the chipper assessment) but the training site is in the middle of a large estate and we have the permission of the estate manager. Take your point, though, and at least chipping provides a useful product and/or rots down fairly quickly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE