I'm thinking about sacking Sky TV

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got a letter through today saying they're bumping up their prices again in September. To be honest we don't watch TV that much anyway and at £55 a month it's just getting silly now.

I'll miss the footy and the F1 but at nearly £700 a year I think it's time to look at the other options.

We had the old NTL cable at my folks house and it was pants, is the new Virgin any better, what about BT?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have both sky and BT vision Rich, will be dumping sky in febuary after only a year, the amount of stuff available on bt vision is good, yup no discovery channels but hey, and bt has a bbc i player channel too!

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Its being doing ma head in for ages Rich ,The prices are just getting ridiculous and worst of all for me is the ads how frequent they are and every channel breaks at the same time:red::cussing: If it was,nt for the kids mate it would be long gone ,i have cut the package right down though the movie channel is all old movies PWHOOOOOOAAAAAA CRAP.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
My kids have got netflix for nought dont know how they got it:dunno:it seems to be quite good though i could live with netflix and freeview and i player no probs.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
We have the virgin TiVo thing, not sure what we are paying but services are good and the menus, searching etc... Are easy to use.
All in all I would recommend it.

Had the bt version before that and found it was rubbish but that was before they brought out infinity so it may have got better.

Never had sky but know people who have changed from it due to the high prices and either not getting the service they were paying for or getting stung by the small print (unlimited usage not being quite so unlimited).

Anyways just my two pence worth.

Hamster

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yeah make sure you have a broad band above 4Mega bit else bt if pap, Its a lot better now than when we first had in 2008 or 2009, nice black remote and box, better menus, and the box office films are as good as sky box office if not better,

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I have virgin and cant fault there service and the internet speed i am getting is great ,,,far far better than BT Infinity that i had

Jason

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah make sure you have a broad band above 4Mega bit else bt if pap, Its a lot better now than when we first had in 2008 or 2009, nice black remote and box, better menus, and the box office films are as good as sky box office if not better,

No probs there Dave, I'm about 500yds from the exchange so regularly get around 16mb :)

I'll have a proper look at the Virgin package, they send me offers all the time so I should be able to get a good deal.

Does anyone VPN over Virgin, I need it for call-out with work?

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
We went from TiVo in old house to sky in new one (no virgin cable). The sky box isn't a patch on TiVo IMHO. Didn't go with sky broadband, they offered 2mb. Ended up with phone and bb with Bt. Infinity 2 at 68mb, so we can't get sky on demand.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I got a letter through today saying they're bumping up their prices again in September. To be honest we don't watch TV that much anyway and at £55 a month ...

HOW MUCH??????

Sack 'em.

I haven't had a TV since 1972. Don't miss it at all, never have.

SWMBO and I watch films on the computer, and to be honest I begrudge the time but you have to show willing, don't you?

i went from Full on Fancy Sky when i lived with my folks(movies,documentaries and sports) to a standard freeview box when Lisa and i moved in together, In truth i don't miss much of it, maybe the documentaries specially when i see the heads ups of various things on here,
however we struggle to find anything on the freeview digibox we have so i suspect we would just have the same problem multiplied if we got a wider selection to watch

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
I have dumped sky and use love film at 4.99 a month have also looked at bt vision and think will be going along with this. Getting fed up with sky's repeats useless channels and expensive price. Think what you get with sky to what they make out of subscription etc and let's be honest tv should be free to anyone now not have to pay the Murdock clan serious money

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
No probs there Dave, I'm about 500yds from the exchange so regularly get around 16mb :)

I'll have a proper look at the Virgin package, they send me offers all the time so I should be able to get a good deal.

Does anyone VPN over Virgin, I need it for call-out with work?

16MB! hope you choke on it! ;) My house has never met the exchange only heard rumours about it.
Given the chance I would never swap fiber for copper but we dont get it out this way so :(

I do have a few customers using Virgin that have no problems with VPN (PPTP) but i think its tough to get a static IP without going all business, if you need one your end for Heavier VPN stuff that is. A friend has Virgin and rates it well 20MB. He also like to phone up every month and complain about something and they are happy to reduce the bill, usually just the price of firsh or the weather but it works ;) Try that with BT! just saying the words makes me wanna spit.

Last edited:

Mike Bowler

Dec 31, 2008
Cheshire UK
I have sky because no cable where I live we pay £24 a month and get all documentary channels always watching doc's so that's good for us as for phone and BB talk talk is ours on the 40gig package was told download speed would be at 16meg but exchange is about 300 yards away and we get 32meg so over all we happy with what we got. forgot to say phone and bb cost £24 month witch inclusion any time phone calls free

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE