I'm a real bushcrafter now!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I'm just writing to report that for the first time I have made fire by friction!

I've been using a Ferro rod for years and have tried a couple of times to get a bowdrill working but could never quite get it. Anyway after coming across some really nice videos on youtube and doing some research I decided that this year I was going to crack it!

I collected some bits of wood while taking the dog for a walk last week and today I decided to really give it a go. It took three attempts, after the first one I determined that my bow was too short so hunted round the garden for a longer one. The second time I manage to get lots of powder but I just couldn’t get it to light, so I did a little more research on this site and the web and worked out that I wasn’t pressing hard enough. So third time lucky, by now it was dark so I had to come up by the house under the back light. I got a lode of nice black powder quickly but the drill sprang out of the bow and I thought that would be it for the day, but I noticed the powder was still intact so I resolved to give it one last effort. With the powder from the last attempt still in place I just gave it all I had bowing like crazy, then the drill flew out again and my hart fell. But after a few seconds I realized the powder was still smoking! I had made fire! I was totally exhausted and aching but hugely satisfied :D .

So now I feel like a real bushcrafter :cool: .

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
WhichDoctor - Well done! Out of interest was there a reason why you chose the standard bow drill over the egyptian bow drill?

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Nice one, two things that really helped me were a faceted drill, so squared off edges and not round and a 'bumpy' cord, made by doubling over length of paracord and twisting it into a thicker, knobblier cord. Both provide more grip and less slip.

Both bits of advice taken from Ron Hood over at survival.com.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Thanks for the kind wirds everyone :) . I've just got to keep up the practice now

WhichDoctor - Well done! Out of interest was there a reason why you chose the standard bow drill over the egyptian bow drill?

I actually tried the Egyptian method a bit at first but I found the string kept getting tangled up and rapped over itself.

Nice one, two things that really helped me were a faceted drill, so squared off edges and not round and a 'bumpy' cord, made by doubling over length of paracord and twisting it into a thicker, knobblier cord. Both provide more grip and less slip.

Both bits of advice taken from Ron Hood over at survival.com.

Thanks, I'll have to try those ideas, they sound very sensible.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Congratulations. It's a good feeling to see it all come together like that.

The first time I made fire from friction was with a bamboo fire saw. The fun part was that there was about 40 people watching and the thing produced a coal almost instantly. I hadn't anticipated success and didn't have a tinder ball ready to make it into flame. I was really surprised that it formed a coal.

The next friction fire technique I'm going to work on is the floating hands hand drill. It looks so easy but I know how things like that go. Every time I see someone doing it on video I get spurred on. Mac

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Congratulations. It's a good feeling to see it all come together like that.

The first time I made fire from friction was with a bamboo fire saw. The fun part was that there was about 40 people watching and the thing produced a coal almost instantly. I hadn't anticipated success and didn't have a tinder ball ready to make it into flame. I was really surprised that it formed a coal.

Wow I wouldn't have liked an ordeance :eek:. It was hard enough without any presher.

The next friction fire technique I'm going to work on is the floating hands hand drill. It looks so easy but I know how things like that go. Every time I see someone doing it on video I get spurred on. Mac

It was actually seeing some vids on youtube of people doing the floating hands fire drill that got me interested in fire by friction again. That's my eventual goal, little way off as yet though :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE