Seaweed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Can anyone recommend a place that sells seaweed for use in cooking? I'm after something to add to soups, so dried and shredded rather than sheets or powder. I've looked in a few shops but can only find sheets. I'm also after something fairly priced and not to fancy.

I have collected my own in the past, and will do again but finding the right place away from polution will take a while.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought a pack of seaweed flakes a while ago. Cornish if I recall correctly.

I'll find a link.

Reactions: slowworm

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Can anyone recommend a place that sells seaweed for use in cooking? I'm after something to add to soups, so dried and shredded rather than sheets or powder. I've looked in a few shops but can only find sheets. I'm also after something fairly priced and not to fancy.

I have collected my own in the past, and will do again but finding the right place away from polution will take a while.
dya want a book on edible seaweeds? got one spare x

Reactions: slowworm

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Thanks for the offer of a book but I have a couple and have picked seaweeds, eaten and lived to tell the tale.

I had assumed Waitrose would stock something but I don't live near a Waitrose.

Funnily enough @Toddy after posting I found Cornish Seaweeds bods do a mix of seaweeds delivered for £20 so I'll go for them and report back.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like dried seaweed but admit it usually easier to buy the sheets of stuff meant for sushi rolls.
It did surprise me just how long that pack of mixed flakes lasted though.
I like miso soup as a cuppa, and it you add some of the flakes to boiling water, they sort of writhe as they soak in the water....neatly breaks up the miso paste to make my soup :)

I sometimes add vegetables to it and make a meal of it.

As far as I know, there are no poisonous seaweeds, just be careful of where they're growing, iimmc ?

M

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I couldn't find anything in Sainsburys and yes there's a huge number of suppliers on Amazon but postage seems to be rather steep.

I think health food shops would stock something but I can't remember a local one of those either.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I am very fond of seaweed.

Used to collect and dry my own, get it on Ebay now.

a little goes a long way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE