Iceland Trip Need Clothes!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

merecat79

Dec 3, 2008
Earth
Hello all,
I am a newbie here. I am going to Iceland at the end of the month and I need to find myself some warm clothes and boots, basically a whole outfit from the head down as I dont have anything. I have spent every last penny on my ticket so I am hoping to find some second hand things to keep me warm. A good parka Jacket is probably the most essential thing I need as I dont have a coat- yes i know...it is mad ..i dont actually own a coat...(live in the warmer reaches of Cornwall!) I am a size 14 and am 5f 9 so need long in trousers. I am size 6 shoes...also can anyone advise me on what I should wear on my feet in the snow?..Also any advice from anyone in general about Iceland would be great.

In exchange I have a few things I can offer:

Book, Women Travellers , by Mary Morris and Larry O'Conner
Book, Secrets of Energy Work, by Paul Brecher
Book, Earthwalking Sky Dancers , Womens Pilgramages to Sacred Places (very lovely book)
Book, Massage and Body work for Health, By Carlo De Paoli
Book, The Juice Masters Ultimate Fast food, by Jason Vale
Small Orange and Yellow Lizard filled with beans.
A clear Courtz crystal , size of palm of a large hand.
'My Coconut Island' Hand wash by Treacle Moon (only used once)

Thank you!

Catherine

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
Being a bloke I have no clothes to offer, but I can tell you my experience of the weather in Iceland. In terms of temperature it's much the same as winter in Germany, for example, but generally dry cold. You don't need arctic-style special clothing. Wear a hat you can cover your ears with; gloves and warm socks. Any decent hiking boots will do. When I was there, I found a thermal top and long johns with walking trousers, a fleece and a waterproof jacket were enough most of the time, but if you're planning to stay outdoors for long periods it would be as well to take overtrousers and a parka or down jacket too.

Iceland is an amazing place. Make sure you see Gulfoss (incredible water falls), and the geysers. Food and alcohol is expensive - but do try the sausages made from lamb, and the ice cream (bizarre but it's a local speciality).

merecat79

Dec 3, 2008
Earth
thank you SO much for the advice...thats just the thing I need to hear! layers it is and big socks and hat.
Blokes fleece tops or even jackets will be fine I think in small or medium if anyones got anything :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Catherine, take hard cash with you as Iceland is 'bankrupt' you may find your money goes further, US dollars or euro's maybe best. I've travelled in eastern Europe over the years and folding money always worked out well for me. Use a hotel safe etc to store it in. Have a great trip, I envy you:)

merecat79

Dec 3, 2008
Earth
thanks Ric thats great advice..yeah i heard that the price of milk there has gone up 30% ..i'll be glad to be spending a bit of cash in that beautfiul land though..

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Catherine, take hard cash with you as Iceland is 'bankrupt' you may find your money goes further, US dollars or euro's maybe best. I've travelled in eastern Europe over the years and folding money always worked out well for me. Use a hotel safe etc to store it in. Have a great trip, I envy you:)

I heard the other day that the Capital of Iceland was "About £4" :joke:

Seriously though, have a great time.

merecat79

Dec 3, 2008
Earth
One word..WOW..just checked your website! ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..im going to learn somthing i can feel it coming on!!!!! thank you....

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
their economy has crashed from being the most expensive to one of the cheapest if the pound wasn't nose diving so much. the icelanders are incredibly friendly though so chances are if you are really in need of something they will lend you what you need or rent it to you.

its dry cold so even a charity shop duffel coat would be usefull for pottering about.

I managed in normal army kit when I was up there in '88. its not as bad as norway in my book probably on a par with scotland

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
If you get the chance and can afford it, relax before you come back at the thermal baths. They are absolutely awesome!

Good luck and have a great trip - the glacier ice caverns are fantastic. There are some good bus tours from Rekjavik (sp?) if you want to see the lie of the land in the area around the capital and we found the people very friendly. There are some good cheap museums and galleries to look at and there's a really nice coffee shop in a book store just outside the city centre (sorry, can't remember what it's called).

My only criticisms of Iceland would be:

a. Expense

b. As all of the hot water is generated thermally, the showers smell a bit farty! Honest!

merecat79

Dec 3, 2008
Earth
thank you for all your comments! I am having trouble communicating with the people im going to be staying with at guest house...somthing must be going on as they are not answering phones or emails...anyway...

i still havnt got a jacket or boots but I will go shopping at the weekend so maybe i will find some stuff.

I have got a list of thermal pools Mike! They look sooooooooooooooooo good! Blue Lagoon especially.....ohhhh i cant wait! and new years is going to be fun..and i cant wait to feel the cold air and see all ths snow and the nature.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Get yourself to Trago Mills, there are some bargains to be found if you aren't fussy about colours and are happy to trawl.

Have a superb time away whatever you wear.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Good point! In fact, talking of bargain outdoor stuff, I'm always seeing people on the website talking about TK Maxx as they seem to sell a few end-of-line outdoor brands at outrageously cheap prices. Worth a look.

merecat79

Dec 3, 2008
Earth
thanks guys...who would have thought it, a bunch of blokes giving advice to a girl on shopping... :) good news I have booked my trip! I promice to post a picture once i have my entire arctic mission outfit ready

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi Catherine,

I would like a couple of your books. I'm not sure if we have something to swap but will speak to girlfriend to see. In the meantime if you want to put a price on em or give me a call, I would be delighted.

You will adore Iceland.:)
George

merecat79

Dec 3, 2008
Earth
Hi George, I have decided to keep Earth Walking Sky Dancers, but apart from that you can take your pick of the others. I dont know how much they will cost to post but i might have a chance to find out tomorrow afternoon, on reflection it may be more than they are worth! they are lovely books but maybe would sell for £5 the lot. - let me know your address and if we find out the postage I am happy to sell them all to you for £0.50. That is unless you have anything to swap :)

merecat79

Dec 3, 2008
Earth
Hi again, I just noticed that this is a strictly non money trades forum so forget the £0.50etc, if you think you have anthing to swap let me know and i will post them to you with pleasure!

Note for forum : Earth Walking Sky Dancers Book= decided not to swap (sorry)

Note for forum : Time is ticking bean lizard still up for grabs (great stocking filler) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE