Car sleeping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Omega

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2004
UK
I admit to being at a loss why a car rather than a van, tent or trailer tent, but....

If you must sleep in a car, a big older diesel estate will get you great mpg, very good range and with the seats down you get a space which is longer than you and wide enough for 2. Overall cost to run (purchase, insurance etc) prob less so long as you choose the right car and either service ut yourself or use a good local independent garage.
What do the wife and daughter think about this idea? A fancy mattress in the back of a Tesla is all very well, but unlike a hotel or campsite, it lacks showers and a toilet. (Don't underestimate the value of a toilet to most women......)
Also..... you need to travel a lot to recoup the cost when comparing this kit out with a night in lodgings, or a campsite pitch with a decent tent.
We don’t camp often, usually less than 4 days a year, I want to increase this. However, my wife and daughter prefer me booking a hotel, and I find this expensive. I hope to increase our camping to about 2-3 times a year for 1-3 nights each time, probably 4-6 nights in a year, don’t think they will want to stay out for longer
I am likely to stay by myself most of the time, but cannot say how often - maybe only twice a year hunting or fishing, maybe 52 nights if I have a contract for staying in another town. Also, I will be using the vehicle as a car like shopping trips or go to the gym, so I would think a van will be more expensive to run

Omega

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2004
UK
Seems alot of specific change and investment to achieve a certain type of solution.
Maybe look at that and see how its stacks up against more conventional routes.
Agree - hiring a small van costs £200-400 in a summer, it is much cheaper to use B&B. That’s why I don’t see much point buying something large - it more expensive than a hotel. Plus it requires more washing and cleaning, sits in front of your house demanding attention… car is much easier to live with

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
We don’t camp often, usually less than 4 days a year, I want to increase this. However, my wife and daughter prefer me booking a hotel, and I find this expensive. I hope to increase our camping to about 2-3 times a year for 1-3 nights each time, probably 4-6 nights in a year, don’t think they will want to stay out for longer
I am likely to stay by myself most of the time, but cannot say how often - maybe only twice a year hunting or fishing, maybe 52 nights if I have a contract for staying in another town. Also, I will be using the vehicle as a car like shopping trips or go to the gym, so I would think a van will be more expensive to run

Your wife and daughter prefer a hotel? Then abandon your family camping plans. It'll never work. You like camping, they hate it. The second you force them into a car to sleep, you'll not hear the end of the moaning! Why would you want to put them and you through it? If you like camping, then go by yourself! A wise man once said 'our interests are our own, noone else is interested' or something like that...

Like most folks on here, I love getting out in the hills and forests trekking and camping (I'm currently trying to plan a trek through the cairngorms). But my wife wouldn't ever entertain the idea, it's just not her thing. So I've never made her. My wife prefers hotels and weekend breaks, so that's what we do together.

You never know, the solitude and separation may do your noggin the world of good and you'll return home well exercised and clear minded, with your good lady grateful for the peace and quiet!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
My mate used to have a postman type van (small version) we used this to sleep in when we could not use a basha and bivi bag e.g. too wet or not private enough. When we did a lot of Lake District walks.

Not comfortable but did what we needed to do, to be dry

Last edited:
Reactions: Omega

Omega

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2004
UK
Your wife and daughter prefer a hotel?

Wife likes camping when it is a nice weather. However, you often cannot predict it. That's why I thought having a car to sleep might make their day if it is cold. Daughter doesn't like camping at all, but she will have to go with us...

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Wife likes camping when it is a nice weather. However, you often cannot predict it. That's why I thought having a car to sleep might make their day if it is cold. Daughter doesn't like camping at all, but she will have to go with us...
When you say camping, do you mean on a serviced camp site? Or at the top Kinder Scout in an ultralight tent?

Reactions: GreyCat

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK

No, I don't think it will.

You *might* get away with something like a "quirky camper" with style and mod cons, but not a car, kipping in a car is still roughing it no matter how fancy the mattress, and in fact gives less flexibility than a bigger tent which you can stand up in.

You have not said *why* your wife/daughter prefer a hotel, have you not asked? You seem to be considering spending a large chunk of cash on something that may not work..... just the annual insurance costs for a Tesla could buy you a lot of nights in nice B&Bs (or self catering places).

Do your wife and daughter actually want to camp more often or are they just doing a bit of camping to please you? And as @Van-Wild asks, what sort of camping have you been doing?

I think it's really important to start with an honest conversation with your wife, what does she actually enjoy doing, what do you like to do, and establish areas of overlap that you do together, and other things you do separately because the other doesn't enjoy it.

GC

Reactions: Omega and Van-Wild

Jonno70

Dec 23, 2023
Cumbria
I have slept in a few cars, vans and still do 2 people and 2 dogs. My current van is a dioblo long wheel base high roof van it's tight but doable we sleep on a tri fold mattress fills the back of the van and we have an awning where we cook and have the pottti.

Not what you want to hear but I doubt any car or small van will meet the needs of your daughter, wife space would be tight and living/sleeping in a small space takes patience and you have to have the right mind set before attempting it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
No part of your plan sounds good to me! Good luck!
Me neither. Sleeping in a car is horrible, and this is from someone who used to have a Volvo 740 Estate. There’s nowhere to put anything, getting in and out is awkward, it’s just rubbish. Only time I’d sleep in a car is as a last resort.

One of the reasons the car was invented was to carry a 4m or 5m belltent, carp fishing bedchairs, a nice rug for the floor, duvets and proper pillows, and a stove to make tea in the morning without sitting out if its wet or cold.

Jonno70

Dec 23, 2023
Cumbria
Why don't you book a camping pod on a basic campsite. I don't mean the posh pods with bathrooms. Pick a site with poor phone signal and no wifi and see how that goes before spending on a vehicle that may never be used as you intended.

Omega

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2004
UK
Why don't you book a camping pod on a basic campsite. I don't mean the posh pods with bathrooms. Pick a site with poor phone signal and no wifi and see how that goes before spending on a vehicle that may never be used as you intended.
Did it a few times already

Thanks, everyone. I will look into an option of travelling and sleeping in a car alone

Reactions: Jonno70

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Did it a few times already

Thanks, everyone. I will look into an option of travelling and sleeping in a car alone

Ah ha! And now the fun of choosing a base vehicle that suits just you! You've just opened up another world.... Best of luck with it! Vehicle based adventures alone are brilliant

Jonno70

Dec 23, 2023
Cumbria
Dacia Jogger is a car that has a sleep pack, so the blurb says, looks interesting but won't be much headroom. Maybr look at a Berlingo/Partner I fitted a 6x4 bed in the back when I had 1 and with the rear seats removed you will have more headroom than an estate.

haptalaon

Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
I'm very supportive of the shift to electric vehicles, but I wouldn't get a tesla - they are horrible quality, designed to skirt safety regs in all sorts of ways.

Apparently it's all electric inside with no mechanical failsafes? Lots of bad stories coming out of the US - people getting trapped in their vehicle underwater, cars setting themselves on fire, there was a live video a few days ago of a woman trapped in one in high temperatures while it did a feature update which prevented her unlocking the doors. Just this month they had to recall a lot of cars for [dangerous seat belt systems](https://www.forbes.com/sites/tylerroush/2024/05/31/tesla-recalls-over-125000-cars-for-faulty-seat-belt-warning/)

& you know that lack of care is just the tip of the iceberg and suggests a culture at the company which doesn't take consumer safety seriously.

Omega

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2004
UK
This car looks like an old Russian Lada, and converted for 1x person sleeping.

It is Lada 2106. I also slept in it, 5 people at once - my brother, cousin, father, uncle and me. We used to go out for fishing and wouldn’t dare sleeping outside because of scorpions and snakes. So surprising that we would live like this for entire week and be fine. Now I require all the comforts

Omega

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2004
UK
I'm very supportive of the shift to electric vehicles, but I wouldn't get a tesla - they are horrible quality, designed to skirt safety regs in all sorts of ways.

Apparently it's all electric inside with no mechanical failsafes? Lots of bad stories coming out of the US - people getting trapped in their vehicle underwater, cars setting themselves on fire, there was a live video a few days ago of a woman trapped in one in high temperatures while it did a feature update which prevented her unlocking the doors. Just this month they had to recall a lot of cars for [dangerous seat belt systems](https://www.forbes.com/sites/tylerroush/2024/05/31/tesla-recalls-over-125000-cars-for-faulty-seat-belt-warning/)

& you know that lack of care is just the tip of the iceberg and suggests a culture at the company which doesn't take consumer safety seriously.
I don’t know any other electric car that I like, I like how it drives itself. Though I don’t mind going for a hybrid, Toyota is a good brand in terms of reliability

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE