Car sleeping?

Megatramp

Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
It is Lada 2106. I also slept in it, 5 people at once - my brother, cousin, father, uncle and me. We used to go out for fishing and wouldn’t dare sleeping outside because of scorpions and snakes. So surprising that we would live like this for entire week and be fine. Now I require all the comforts
Makes sense now, wanting to share past experiences with your own family.
Might be best to encourage their interest with some campfire cooking on a day out, perhaps ask your daughter to help with the fire, carve a spatula maybe. If all goes well and they enjoy the outdoors camping will come along naturally.
My kids love it. They thought it perfectly normal to sleep in the car for an early start to climb Snowdon, everybody does it, right? I'm sure your family will too someday.
In the meantime get yourself that swag, strap it to your motorbike and go enjoy.

Reactions: Omega

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Yeah, sleeping in a car sounds awfully uncomfortable and restricted, unless in emergency case being trapped in snow storm or something like that.

Caravan or tent sound better.

Reactions: Omega

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Last year out camping in Wales the wind was blowing so hard it was threatening to blow my tent down or rain hard so as I would wake up in a puddle. I chickened out and spent the night in my car instead and slept well and comfortably. The tent was still there in the morning, but it would have been flapping about something monstrously and kept me awake all night, so there you go.

Reactions: Omega and Billy-o

Billy-o

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
It is totally do-able in a car. I did it with my parents as a kid. My partner did with her family too. So, when it came to us and our own kids, we had a clue. Essentially the approach was to take some small tents (everyone who wants their own room can have it). Reverse the 4wd up to a camp table and fire pit and so some art with a couple of tarps. Five nights was the longest stint we did like that, but did it often enough. I just needs to settle into your bones that you are essentially living outside with access to shelter ... rather than the other way round.

Everyone needs to be on board with the general approach, I think. :) Also, as Laurentius says, storms are a pest. Overnighters with 2-3 sleeping in the car to get an early start on a hill, though less regular now, remains part of the options package.

Last edited:
Reactions: Omega and oldtimer

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
It is Lada 2106. I also slept in it, 5 people at once - my brother, cousin, father, uncle and me. We used to go out for fishing and wouldn’t dare sleeping outside because of scorpions and snakes. So surprising that we would live like this for entire week and be fine. Now I require all the comforts

Last time when I saw a Lada was sometime in late 1990s I recall. One of my neighbors used to have one, parked in his driveway.

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
I have had one night stays in the woods in the back of my landrover blow up bed and a sleeping bag just wife and I with dog in the front......poundland battery led lights and watched TV on my phone great nights

Reactions: Megatramp and Omega

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE