Car sleeping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Omega

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2004
UK
I am toying with an idea of sleeping in a car as I do not want buying a camper van - my wife and daughter sleep in a car while I perhaps can sleep outside in a bivvy. This should allow us travel more often around the UK
However, I am thinking what gear I should buy
By the way, I also would need to buy a car - thinking to get myself Tesla 3 because the used ones got quite affordable (and I have lots of solar panels on my house, I only use 25% of what I generate during the summer), add DreamCase to lure my women to sleep inside the car while I can sleep in a bivvy (thinking what I should get myself, probably Jerven and ZenBivy set)
What do you think?

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I have thought about getting myself a tentbox for the car. I know some will say the roof is rated for a certain weight, but after watching plenty of people using different vehicles from fiat 500s to vans, I think the average family vehicle should be fine.

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
I admit to being at a loss why a car rather than a van, tent or trailer tent, but....

If you must sleep in a car, a big older diesel estate will get you great mpg, very good range and with the seats down you get a space which is longer than you and wide enough for 2. Overall cost to run (purchase, insurance etc) prob less so long as you choose the right car and either service ut yourself or use a good local independent garage.

If you are wanting to go far enough out and about to wild places such that you want to kip overnight, I fear that range/finding charge points once off the main motorway might be a challenge with a lekky-mobile.

What do the wife and daughter think about this idea? A fancy mattress in the back of a Tesla is all very well, but unlike a hotel or campsite, it lacks showers and a toilet. (Don't underestimate the value of a toilet to most women......).

Also..... you need to travel a lot to recoup the cost when comparing this kit out with a night in lodgings, or a campsite pitch with a decent tent.

Have you considered how you will brew your morning coffee/tea when it's hammering down with rain and blowing a hoolie?

If you're needing to "lure" your wife/daughter then perhaps they don't share your enthusiasm for roughing it?

As ever tho, YMMV.

GC

Reactions: Garnett

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I am toying with an idea of sleeping in a car as I do not want buying a camper van - my wife and daughter sleep in a car while I perhaps can sleep outside in a bivvy. This should allow us travel more often around the UK
However, I am thinking what gear I should buy
By the way, I also would need to buy a car - thinking to get myself Tesla 3 because the used ones got quite affordable (and I have lots of solar panels on my house, I only use 25% of what I generate during the summer), add DreamCase to lure my women to sleep inside the car while I can sleep in a bivvy (thinking what I should get myself, probably Jerven and ZenBivy set)
What do you think?

Think it through carefully. For one-nighters it works; we've often done it when travelling long distances. But for an enjoyable, longer term, holiday; don't do it. You are constantly taking stuff in and out of the car to find things and make room for sleeping, cooking, and sitting. If it's pouring with rain it's claustrophobic and tempers will soon get frayed.

If you need a car anyway, a trailer tent may be your best option.

We ditched the roof tent very quickly in the UK; in countries with better weather we've enjoyed them, here you need other facilities to cook and sit out.

Reactions: Garnett and Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Seems alot of specific change and investment to achieve a certain type of solution.
Maybe look at that and see how its stacks up against more conventional routes.

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK

Has anyone heard about this?

'The quotes were £5,000 or more’: electric vehicle owners face soaring insurance costs​

Yes, the insurance thing is getting to be significant- that's a bit part of why I suggested an older diesel estate car.

Lots of space in them but deeply unfashionable, can therefore pick up at a sensible cost, relatively low cost to insure (for the size) and 70mpg is not unusual. Given the cost of charging a BEV car away from home and also the insurance, if budget is the thing then an older diesel estate car is a great option. Something like a 10-year old Ford Focus estate might be a starter for 10, or perhaps an ex-lease Vauxhall Insignia. And with older Fords (or Vauxhalls), you get a lot of "pattern" or second-hand spares and pretty much any local independent garage has the diagnostic kit and experience to service them, which keeps maintenance costs down a LOT.

Also, diesel estate cars are usually reasonable tow vehicles so upgrade to a trailer tent, trailer or small caravan in future is relatively easy and opens up more options.

As @Broch says, a trailer tent may be a good option. If you wait until the end of the campign season you might get a good second hand deal too.

GC

Reactions: Toddy

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I'm selling my 6 berth motorhome if you're interested? All the luxury for your good lady trust me.....

As for car camping, @Broch has it right. For one nighters it's workable. Inclement weather will see you all bickering..... you need space to spread out for any longer than an hours wait.

Of course, if the idea is literally just to sleep, with eating, washing, changing of clothes, going to the toilet etc is done elsewhere there may be longevity in your idea.

I've done full circle with living in vehicles over a number of years. Started car camping (one night while hill walking in the day), grew into a campervan (converted it myself, lived in it full time for work), sold that moved into a house and brought a pick up to live in when travelling for work. Splashed out and got the motorhome for transient holidays with the family. Now selling the motorhome (too big for us) and downsizing to a LWB van conversion motorhome. Saving for it now.

My point is, car camping.... yeah for one night and if you have facilities to cook elsewhere and toilet elsewhere. But any longer and you'll probably have a hard time convincing your good lady. She won't want to be pooping in a bucket in the boot will she.......

If I were planning what you're planning, (short duration, family vehicle borne) I'd buy a small van. Transporter/Transit/Vivaro and do a DIY conversion. Much more comfortable, better MPG, lower insurance and much more practical.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
In our twenties we travelled all round Europe living and sleeping in a minivan. When our two boys were little we used tents and car, in which the boys slept in bear country and bad weather in the States during a ten week road trip. Then we bought our first vw campervan. After the boys grew up and left home, we used estates to sleep in on shorter European journeys. Then, in her sixties, Madame rebelled and insisted on a return to a campervan. Now we're in our eighties, we're on our third vw campervan. Unlike our previous vans, It has a pop-up roof with a double berth suitable for grandchildren. Seems what you need. It fits in parking spaces and garages like a normal car, and has all mod cons apart from a shower.

Reactions: Van-Wild and Stew

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I have driven Berlingos and a Skoda Roomster for years and I have thought of putting a home made awning arrangement on the rear door together with a floor extension to give me enough length for a relaxed sleep. I haven’t progressed the idea. If you were to do that then look for a Caddy, Berlingo, Qubo, Combo etc. Something with a totally flat load floor.
BUT
THAT was just a thought for myself as a solo camper. In the end I stuck with the tent.

For a family that hasn’t camped before -
buy three day sacks and a reliable stove/cookset and book yourself into a few b&b’s. You’ll enjoy it more, so will the family. It will give you so much more flexibility and be very much cheaper.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Vehicle prices have risen such in recent years that I find what I want and what I want to pay no longer overlap on the Venn diagram. The Ford Galaxy comes damn close though, being nearly van sized and available with a thrifty diesel engine.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I sleep in my car fairly regularly when it’s just me on a trip. The only way I could see my wife being happy with that setup is either a roof tent or significant modification to the sleeping setup inside. It works fine for me as I can fall asleep pretty much anywhere but it’s not the smoothest setup.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
It is not difficult if you have the length in the back with the seats folded down. Plenty of room in my Qashqai. I have a purpose built plywood bed base to fill the gaps and on top of that an inflatetable sleeping mat.

Reactions: Omega

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE