I want to make a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
I to am gutted for ya,
Cracking post with lots of input from others with good advice.
We can all learn something from this, and appreciate all the hard work skill and experience other knife makers have.
Well done and thanks for posting 👍
" if at first you don't succeed"

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I to am gutted for ya,
Cracking post with lots of input from others with good advice.
We can all learn something from this, and appreciate all the hard work skill and experience other knife makers have.
Well done and thanks for posting 
" if at first you don't succeed"

That's a bit mean! :D

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hey!!
I don't mean any thing mean by it at all so please don't twist words,
I really enjoyed follow this thread with interest, I think this chap has done remarkably well, and wish to follow his progress,
Please don't make this into something it's not meant to be,

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Hey!!
I don't mean any thing mean by it at all so please don't twist words,
I really enjoyed follow this thread with interest, I think this chap has done remarkably well, and wish to follow his progress,
Please don't make this into something it's not meant to be,

Sorry, I think you're taking this the wrong way - I put a smiley at the end of the text to give you the inference that I was joking around as I guessed you wrote the 'cracking' part unintentional but in the context it was quite funny. :D
I'm not stirring anything up. :D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
ah, sorry to see the broken blade :( It happens to us all on occasion. Better that it broke during the making than when its all done and you are using a sharpened blade!

The grain does look very coarse. Chances are that you over cooked it, either when you heated for the annealing or when you heated for the hardening (more likely). Next time, do a few normalising cycles to refine the grain structure ;)

Firebow Swagger

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2013
United Kingdom/Essex
Probably was over cooked a bit, the problem was (other than stupidity/ignorance) the forge is too small so it was hard to get an even heat ,so I spun it round .

I didn't get a chance to anneal it , I just cleaned off the slag after the warm sump oil quench ,so I could see the colour change when I bunged it in the oven...straw or something I Haven't really looked into it exact timings/colours yet lol

I've got a 350mm circular saw blade we found in a skip, to have a practice on..so it will be a hell of a lot less work/filing due to the thickness ,which in turn will result in less tears when I inevitably **** it up again

Im gonna have to keep an eye out for an old rasp/file on a boot sale, as most are just case hardened

I may also need to get some counselling, I still cant believe shes gone

Ill soon SNAP out if it ,Lets hope I can BREAK my run of bad luck,Nice to see your comments are DIVIDED :lmao:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Sorry about the blade man! It was coming along so well. I would still like to thank you for documenting your project. I have enjoyed it and learned from your progress. :You_Rock_

Firebow Swagger

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2013
United Kingdom/Essex
Ok Guys , Im Off to the Bushcraft show the end of may and I just had a FREE! Woodland ways weekend (Thank you Jason Ingemells )

So this has Motivated me to give it another Go. So on Sunday I went to the local car boot sale and picked up some nice big files, 2 of which look like farrier's files , This is perfect for the intended purpose of working wood, The old blade tho awesome would have been hampered buy the steel file clogging.

More Pictures to follow

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE