Made a sheath to go with the Trapper i handled.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I made this knife, well i didnt make it but i handled it, a couple of weeks ago. Now i have made a sheath to go with it :)

Knife thread

Sheath work flow, from pattern making to final product :)

thanks

Ed

working out the sheath shape
IMG_8482.JPG

transferring onto leather for cutting
IMG_8483.JPG

rough shape cut out
IMG_8484.JPG

cutting out a welt - a piece of leather to protect the stitches
IMG_8486.JPG

lining up the knife on the welt to work out the interior shape
IMG_8487.JPG

final welt shape, this acts to protect the stitches and also acts as the internal holder for the knife
IMG_8488.JPG

Dying the leather using fiebing leather dye
IMG_8489.JPG

Prepping the belt loop for gluing
IMG_8490.JPG

Belt looped glued, not the ring for later dangler use if preferred
IMG_8517.JPG

Belt loop sewn
IMG_8518.JPG

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
more photos

Ed

Marking out the stitch line - this is not sewn at this point, just glued, a stitch groove has been cut to allow the stitches to lay flat against the surface of the leather to protect them from abrasion. I have also pricked where to stitch using a pricking wheel (just can be seen to the right). The groove is white due to the leather dye not penetrating as deep as the groove (i dyed first then made the groove)
IMG_8520.JPG

The groove is now dyed black so that no pale leather will show through after sewing
IMG_8521.JPG

prepping some leather for a belt dangler
IMG_8522.JPG

Scoring the belt dangler for the fold lines, i stopped here as i realised i didnt have big enough poppers!
IMG_8523.JPG

So i started sewing, red waxed linen thread with a hand sewing awl
IMG_8527.JPG

sewing nearly done
IMG_8532.JPG

then i sealed the threads with beeswax, then melted it in with a hair dryer
IMG_8533.JPG

pre-melting witha hair dryer, you can see how it will seal the threads, some people use superglue, but i prefer 'au naturelle''
IMG_8534.JPG

The finished sheath, no firesteel loop like my last sheath as i cant work out of I like them on the sheath or not, i think not but :/
IMG_8536.JPG

Willtake some photos of the knife in the sheath when its dry, i wetformed the sheath and its been in the airing cupboard overnight!

Ed

Last edited:

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
That's very neat and tidy. A handsome looking sheath.
Helpful for me to see the process step by step too. I've done a little leather work, nothing like this, so seeing it like this explains a lot.
Have you got a shot of the finished knife in the sheath? A combination I think you'll be very proud to wear on your belt.
I understand the satisfaction of using something you've made yourself.
You'll be enjoying that for years to come.
Did you make 2 or 3 sheaths? There's one with white stitching and one with black stitching?

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Helpful for me to see the process step by step too. I've done a little leather work, nothing like this, so seeing it like this explains a lot.
Have you got a shot of the finished knife in the sheath? A combination I think you'll be very proud to wear on your belt.
Did you make 2 or 3 sheaths? There's one with white stitching and one with black stitching?

Hi brizzle, will take a photo later for you :)
i have made other sheaths before but these photo show the making of one - the different 'threads' you can see are

1. the stitch groove cut into the leather - which is the 'white line' - this is a shallow groove the thread sits in to protect it, its white as i have cut away the dyed top leather, and the white you can see if the undyed leather layer

2. i then dyed the groove with liquid dye so that no white would show after stitching, i didnt want to dye after stitching as i didnt want to dye the red thread

3. i used red thread to sew it together finally, as a design touch :/

Does that make sense? I have added some captions to hopefully explain a bit more :)

This is how i learnt, great video :)

Last edited:
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Hi brizzle, will take a photo later for you :)
i have made other sheaths before but these photo show the making of one - the different 'threads' you can see are

1. the stitch groove cut into the leather - which is the 'white line' - this is a shallow groove the thread sits in to protect it, its white as i have cut away the dyed top leather, and the white you can see if the undyed leather layer

2. i then dyed the groove with liquid dye so that no white would show after stitching, i didnt want to dye after stitching as i didnt want to dye the red thread

3. i used red thread to sew it together finally, as a design touch :/

Does that make sense? I have added some captions to hopefully explain a bit more :)

This is how i learnt, great video :)
Makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
I'll check out that video too.

Reactions: MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk

here is a photo of the knife in the sheath

IMG_8544.jpg

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
here is a photo of the knife in the sheath

View attachment 59247
Very smart indeed.
I had a look at that video you linked and realised I've watched it before, a long time ago. It's great isn't it? It's quite a process. It gives me more appreciation for the sheaths I have and the makers skill.
Yours looks very neat and tidy. I'd be dead chuffed with that.
Thanks for the pic.
Darn, this means I need to add leather working tools to my ever growing shopping list

Reactions: MrEd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE