I need a knot.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I'm having a bit of trouble keeping the tension on my tarp ridge line while tying knots. I've tried the ray mears taught line knot from his essential bushcraft book and I've also tried the truckers hitch or waggoner's hitch which I could only get taught if I made an adjustable Cawley hitch to keep the tension on which is too much faffing about. If I just make an adjustable Cawley hitch then tensioning would get in the way of the prussic I use to keep my tarp stretched out on the ridge line.

Are there any knots that are easy to tie under tension and keep the ridge line taught without getting in the way of the prussics?

Thanks,
Asa.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Round turn and 2 half hitches on one end, "hammock hitch" at the other- works for me....quick and simple - just like me!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
John, what's the "hammock hitch"? :)

Ogri, the power cinch looks really good, I'll have to try it out and see if I can get it to work with my prussics.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Take the cord rond the treeover the cord, back on itself, around the cord (pulling it tighter)back around the tree,(reversing the direction you just brought it) over the cord again, pull tight again and tie off with a quick release knot through the last loop - sounds complicated but once you see it it is simple!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you use Coibwebs power cinch don't thread the short end through the loop. If you do it Cobwebs way you run the very real risk of cutting through any cord you're using. I snapped some 7mm cord and ended up flat on my back.

Clip the loop and and the end you''re going to pull together with a carbiner. This helps in 2 ways. 1 reduces friction on cords substantially making it easier and smoother to pull tight and 2 makes it a lot quicker and easier to connect and unconnect them as you don't have to feed a length of cord through the loop.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If you use Coibwebs power cinch don't thread the short end through the loop. If you do it Cobwebs way you run the very real risk of cutting through any cord you're using. I snapped some 7mm cord and ended up flat on my back.

Clip the loop and and the end you''re going to pull together with a carbiner. This helps in 2 ways. 1 reduces friction on cords substantially making it easier and smoother to pull tight and 2 makes it a lot quicker and easier to connect and unconnect them as you don't have to feed a length of cord through the loop.

To be fair Mesquite,
Asa requested knots for a tarp ridge line!

ATB

Ogri the trog

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Is it the line you are using? Knots aren't my strongest point but I do find I get by and when I do have problems its the line to blame. I find this with the DDtarp line! Don't have any problems with paracord or perlon.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Is it the line you are using? Knots aren't my strongest point but I do find I get by and when I do have problems its the line to blame. I find this with the DDtarp line! Don't have any problems with paracord or perlon.

The problem is the friction generated if you pull the cord really tight. I watched as Mors Kochanski demonstrated how paracord is cut through with ease and I did the same with 7mm purlon.

That's why I suggested using a caribiner, it elemenates the friction and allows you to pull the ridge line a lot tighter than without.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I know exactly what he was asking for Ogri, but that was what I putting up when the cord cut through itself and I ended up flat on my back hence my warning.

Then I apologise Mesquite - I thought that you were talking about rigging your hammock with a Power Cinch. That must have been some serious tension you were applying.

Cheers

Ogri the trog

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
I don't get this. Isn't the power cinch more or less a truckers hitch with a puffy name? I use a truckers hitch on my ridge lines, opposite an evenk not - I tie the truckers hitch off with a slipped half hitch, and this gets my ridge line tighter than a dutchmans thong. Better still, it pulls the hitch towards the tree (as opposed to awy from it, with a rolling hitch), which leaves more space to slide my prussics. But the OP said a truckers hitch wasn't up to the job. Strange.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I don't get this. Isn't the power cinch more or less a truckers hitch with a puffy name? I use a truckers hitch on my ridge lines, opposite an evenk not - I tie the truckers hitch off with a slipped half hitch, and this gets my ridge line tighter than a dutchmans thong. Better still, it pulls the hitch towards the tree (as opposed to awy from it, with a rolling hitch), which leaves more space to slide my prussics. But the OP said a truckers hitch wasn't up to the job. Strange.

The reason I said it wasn't up to the job was I was finding it hard to position it with my prussics, but with the power cinch having a small loop that is easy to get close to the tree I shouldn't have any problems.

Asa.

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
The reason I said it wasn't up to the job was I was finding it hard to position it with my prussics, but with the power cinch having a small loop that is easy to get close to the tree I shouldn't have any problems.

Asa.

Aah, it's probably that I'm confusing my knots. After a quick butchers on the gimpnet there seem to be loads of variations on the truckers hitch/power cinch, revolving around how the first loop is made. Same principle of mechanical advantage, I suppose.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE