I need a knot.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Clove hitch and a half hitch (just in case) on one end around the tree and as John Fenna says a round turn and two around the other tree. This will get your line nice and tight.
The clove hitch will not come undone and the round turn is a knot that can be undone under tension. Both go around twice so ease the strain on the tree and line.
Swyn.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i use a round turn and 2 half hitches on one end (if its good enough for boats it good enough for me) then on the other end i use a austrian butterfly (like mesquites carabiner but in the cord itself) then pull it round a tree and finish off with an evenk hitch works for me, although you can get some ferocius tension on the cord, more than you need actually

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
I'm having a bit of trouble keeping the tension on my tarp ridge line while tying knots. I've tried the ray mears taught line knot from his essential bushcraft book and I've also tried the truckers hitch or waggoner's hitch which I could only get taught if I made an adjustable Cawley hitch to keep the tension on which is too much faffing about. If I just make an adjustable Cawley hitch then tensioning would get in the way of the prussic I use to keep my tarp stretched out on the ridge line.

Are there any knots that are easy to tie under tension and keep the ridge line taught without getting in the way of the prussics?

Thanks,
Asa.

I have been having fun playing at knots here
http://www.netknots.com/html/paddling_knots.html

Try the mooring knot

also check out Grogs animated knots.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Found the Knot I wanted to know it's called 'Tarp Taut hitch' from the book 'BushCraft' it's in the shelter section which is why I couldn't find it in Knots section. :dancer:

rimmer

Apr 1, 2010
eastsussex
instead of cord get down the local diy shop and get a good lenth of bunji you can tie it or as i do use carabinas hope this helps

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
I have just mastered a new knot today, is the falconers hitch. Does anyone prefer this over the Evenk/ Sibeiran Hitch?

I havent tried it outside yet, and i wondered how it stood up when compared against the siberian hitch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE