I LOVE the rain!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Son2, heading out the door to brave the deluge to go to school.
"I like Scotland's weather :) "
and there's me thinking, "You can take this patriotism too far......" :rolleyes

I like rain when I don't *have* to do anything in it but enjoy it :) I love the smell of it after a hot dry day. I love the fresh air that follows it, the softness of my skin and hair after working out in it for days, the way the world seems washed clean, the burns and rivers flowing fast and full.

I'm not a fan when I'm trying to work in the garden, dry washing, go shopping, set up camp or drive hundreds of miles in it though, and I hate it when I'm soaked to the skin, I have to work, I can't get dry, I can't get out of the weather.

I've worked and lived sodden wet for weeks on end and there's no pleasure in it :sigh: There are *no* waterproofs that work efficiently, breathably in that kind of weather and use. The skin becomes a permanent shiver zone and it takes days to settle down again once home. Sleeping wet is worse :sigh:

How do you recognise the British Queen ? .........she's the one with the brolly :)

Ever notice how most females here have a multitude of brollies ? Like shoes they come in different colours / designs/ sizes :) and nowadays so do our wellies :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
It's a strange world this small island, I keep reading posts about floods and days of rain and now snow..I don't read newspapers but I did see a headline the other day..'Only two months supply of water left.' Local authorities are starting to flap as the Southern reservoirs are looking a bit shallow..:)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I love bad weather. The worse it is the better, hate the sun though it makes me lethargic.
If I'm out in the rain or heavy snow it makes me feel alive as I can feel it's effects on me.
Wind I'm not so keen on.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
I live in the west of Scotland where it rains a lot - until this week (when it snowed!) we had two weeks of solid rain and gales, and that's nothing unusual.
In fact, we have two seasons here, Rain and Winter.
I don't mind a bit of rain for all the reasons posted here - I often fly fish through it without a second thought or care - but it can get you down when you get nothing else for weeks at a time.
What's wrong with wanting a clear sky and a light breeze for a change?
Seeing a bright, blue sky when you open the curtains in the morning definitely lifts the spirits, where a leaden, rainy sky just makes them sink.
I don't let rain stop me doing stuff, but still...
Steve

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Rains too much up here. Now and again is nice. Here it's either raining or about to. Raining and dark = winter. Raining and light = summer. Keeps the hordes away and cost of living low I suppose.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Rains too much up here. Now and again is nice. Here it's either raining or about to. Raining and dark = winter. Raining and light = summer. Keeps the hordes away and cost of living low I suppose.

There's a saying about the weather where I live, to explain there's a big hill at the head of the valley - so it's a bit of a landmark - it's called Corsencon.

The saying goes "When ye can see Corsencon, it's gonnae rain, when ye cannae, it's rainin."

May as well enjoy it - it'll rain whether you do or don't.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
It brings back memories of fishing as a kid with my dad and brother soaking but happy and you should have seen me when i got up at 4am this morning to find a thin cover of snow i smiled all the way to work :)
Aw, now that's not fair. We won't see snow for a while yet. The downside of being this far south and near london. Mind you for the last two years our Xmas party has ended in snow and this year it is on Thursday. Fingers crossed.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Rain in good, love the stuff, it's even better when you have somewhere warm and dry to got to.

Although the last time I went on a long walk it rained for 2 1/2 days without stopping. I only had a bivi bag - no tarp - cheapy water proofs, EVERYTHING got at least damp, even stuff inside plastic bags in the rucksack. At least it wasn't cold, you've got to have a certian mind set to cope with stuff like that. Many people I know, even just after a few hours of being damp, would say bugger this I'll get a bus back home [I nearly did - but before I took that step it stopped raining]

Once I got through that 2 1/2 days of rain I felt I could cope with anything the weather would throw at me.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Definitely another rain lover here. I especially like it during the summer which is just as well with our climate!
I dislike it most when striking camp. That's when I find it a real pain in the backside.

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
Rain is fine when you are out in it, it's the aftermath I don't like. Drying a tarp can be a real faff at times, sleeping bags etc even worse and my boots are still damp from work on Sunday!

Rain does make you much more appreciative of dry tinder though...

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
We get 60" of rain a year - more this season with 2" in 24hours. An odd heavy shower is fine but we had a 2 week stretch in May/June of rain, wind and cold. Not nice when you have to work in it.

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
I volunteer at a Riding For The Disabled stable. The the whole building is made of metal. There is someting magical about the sound of heavy rain on a tin roof. Mind you the sound of any rain is good as long as I am under cover! Just let me get the tent up first...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well we've had torrential rain and hight winds today its been bloody awful to be honest. I walked up to pick up my grandson from junior School and I hated every second of the walk, still just had a stiff whisky and soda so my mood has lifted.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Theres no such thing as bad rain or weather - only unsuitable clothing :). We have a corrugated carport attached to the garage and i love to be in it when its lashing. Lovely peaceful time and sound. i did once suggest to SWMBO that we purchase some sheets for the extension just for the rain sound but i was given short thrift with some dark mutterings about men in white coats visiting :(

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Theres no such thing as bad rain or weather - only unsuitable clothing :). We have a corrugated carport attached to the garage and i love to be in it when its lashing. Lovely peaceful time and sound. i did once suggest to SWMBO that we purchase some sheets for the extension just for the rain sound but i was given short thrift with some dark mutterings about men in white coats visiting :(

Utter tosh lol. I was in Gortex jacket and trousers and came home bone dry but unless I'm out camping you are welcome to my share of the rain, wish I could send it to you.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I am with you Rik , will be leaving for a weekend in the woods with a few pals later on today , and if it rains all w/e , i for one will be p155ed right off !

One camping trip to Dartmoor , last year Savagebushcraft and i spent 26 hours in our tents , the novelty of the pitter patter, on your nylon soon wears thin !!

Still it wouldn't do for us all to be the same ...

Ivan...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE