I am amazed by the skills of some people here

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yannbarvss

Banned
Nov 24, 2006
USA
Hi, Guys...!!! I am new on your site and I am amazed by the skills of some people here... not too sure if this is the right place to be posting this msg Let me introduce myself first : I am Yann, a webmaster and dive instructor, 27 years old. i have many questions about music, web , PC and education... Where i can post my messages... So, thanks a lot!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Welcome Yann. People here seem to enjoy a good natter by the virtual fire side. Music? What are your thoughts there?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Not disagreeing or awt but why/how is it was spam plus hows it done (ie automated etc) and to what purpose ?

I am in IT so it interesting is all :rolleyes:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
K, Date of birth is the same as a host of spam members on lots of forums as well as this one over the past few months. The DofB does not correspond to the age stated in the text, by 4 years, the Dof B entered into the system would make the member 23 not 27.

Also a search of the email address shows the same rubbish on hundreds of other sites, all new memberships over the past few days.

Also, the IP is the same as some of the other spam.

That's about it :D

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
cool, top on the ball Tony! :You_Rock_

just shows the work that goes on in the background that we never see!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I hear you on the indications of why this is spam but whats the point ? Normal email based spam is usually an advertisment for something. Just cant understand why someone would want to spam a forum :confused:

Anyways and well spotted and slapped.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We get about 20 a week of these, I catch a lot of them but some get through and members usually let us know. The most common thing is just a big post of links on a particular subject in the early hours of the morning.

I’m not sure why they do it, although I suppose it must be good for their pockets even though it’s a right pain for us.

My thanks to all of you that let us know when one slips though, it was Ahjno that caught this one :D

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I also admin a board in the States and we get this a lot. They set up an account then start to gather e-mail addys. They sell the addys to other spammers.

Good catch!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
spamel said:
Do you actually check every new member out? :eek:

Oh of course, when you log onto BCUK we follow your ISP address back to the local proxy server from which the signal emanates and pick up details on who the account is registered to. Knowing the rough area covered by that particular proxy server allows us to put the name of the account holder into a reverse telephone directory to obtain your address. We then leap into the BCUK mystery machine, race through the night to your house and sneak across your lawn with a ladder under the cover of darkness to peer at you though your bedroom window whilst you sleep.

I want to speed up the process by installing a fireman’s pole to the mystery machine but Tony won’t let me knock a hole in the floor :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE