Hunting shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
you ......... get real.

Thats a mighty strong opening comment Merlin20, normally when people join our community they announce themselves and look forward to being able to learn some skills and eventually contribute to those who will follow in our footsteps.
Maybe you should have spent a little more time lurking and reading what this site is about rather than come crashing in spouting misplaced ridicule.

I look forward to your future posts!

Ogri the trog

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks, much appreciated, but don't worry, comments like that have never bothered me, or interested me for that matter! ;-(D)

The pattern is up for lending should anyone want it to trace/copy. I will be wanting it back to do a open front version in flax linen as soon as I can score some.

The design was in common use a hundred years or more and it's merits are obvious. George Washington wanted to dress the entire continental army in a variation of it but the conservative officers wouldn't let it happen.

Just doing the button holes on the cuffs to finish it off today, I picked up some two hole bone buttons years ago and they will be just the job.

When the weather improves I will be lanoliising it using the method Toddy described.

ATB

Tom

I don't think I can pull off a raccoon skin hat, I'll stick with my equally family embarrassing Voyageurs toque or Balmoral!

Last edited:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Tried the hunting shirt to see if it needed shortening before I hemmed it.

Not having seen the "original", but one modification I'd consider is a deeper neck slit and some way to close it (button+loop, tie thong, lacing, etc). Comming from a MiddlingEvil background a small penannular pin is tempting (but way wrong for the application).

How oversize is the cape bits? Full circle, 1/2 circle?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Folks!
Finished the sucker, button holes are a lot harder to do when there is no visable weave to line up the stitches to!

HuntingShirtbutton.jpg

I did think of sewing eyelets in and having lacing on a longer neck slit but I wanted it to look the least like a Swanni I could. From what I've seen small neck opening with a single loop and button was the most common type of pullover design, with a scarf to fill the gap.

The capes are about four fifths of a squashed circle.

It's certainly been a learning experience!, the cuffs look messy close up, I need more practice and since the choice was look good or be strong I went for the latter.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
After a long delay i've started on the mediium weight loomstate flax linen version of the hunting shirt.

I washed, dried and ironed (the latter took 2.5 hours!) the linen first to reduce any shrinkage once it's made up. It used up a little over half of a 60 inch wide 3 metre lenght of material, for a XXL version. The scraps I've cut up for turning into char at a later date.

I'll be using the same pattern as before but with just the smaller cape rather than both.

As well as being a functional item for messing about in the woods it will do for top layer for period treking (If I ever get up the bottle to do it) as the type of garment was in use for a long period.

As a exercise I intend to sew each pair of seams in a period style so today I taught myself to do lapped fell seams (or at least thats what the text called them).

First off I pinned the cloth together but with one side sticking out twice the amount from the line the seam was going to be as the other and sewed it across, in this case with a back stitch. Thats the one where you go two stitchleghts forward on one side and back one stitch lenght on the other.

LinenShirt01.jpg

Next I folded the longer edge under the shorter and pinned the whole lot down. I then back stitched through all three layers of cloth so the overlapping double lenght stitches were on the inside of the garment.

LinenShirt02.jpg

and the single lenght stitches on the outside. I'm aiming for about 10 single stitches a inch.

LinenShirt03.jpg

I chose to use white Barbour linen thread as I wanted the stitches to be visable since I am going to be hand doing the buggers!

ATB

Tom

Oh the green wool version is incredibly warm, too warm to move about in so far.

Last edited:

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Outstanding rifleman's shirt! Great inspiration. Thanks for sharing and look forward to the completion of the linen one. Excellent!

Gordy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!

I've bashed on with it, the shoulder seams are done and all the other seams are pinned up.

The side seams I've back stitched, ironed and stitched open.

LinenHuntingShirtSideSeam01.jpg

outside

LinenHuntingShirtSideSeam02.jpg

inside

and the armpit gussets I've backstitched then rolled up and whip stitched.

LinenHuntingShirtGusset1.jpg

LinenHuntingShirtGusset2.jpg

Hopefully this will inhibit the edges fraying!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks!

It's coming on slowly, spent far too long today sewing. with a machine i don't think it would have taken more than a hour but oh no I have to go all 18th century on it!

Front
LinenHuntingShirtFront01.jpg

Back
LinenHuntingShirtBack01.jpg

Still need to do collar, bottom hem, button holes on cuffs and around the neck opening. Thankfully it will look better the more it gets worn/ washed.

ATb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers Nigel!

I can't quite believe how time consuming it's been.

There will be a brief pause while I work out how to do the head hole sliit in a correct period style. If push comes to shove I'll just reinforce the bottom of the slit and roll and sew the edges!, maybe make a big hook and eye from piano wire to close the neck.

LinenHuntingShirtFront02.jpg

LinenHuntingShirtBack02.jpg

I've some 2 inch veg tanned belting waiting on a spot on double D style buckle coming from Roy at

http://www.najecki.com/repro/buckles/CZ.html

to finish it off and a couple of bone buttons for the cuffs.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE