Sharpening a carpenters foot adze?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
While she was down in Oxford herself ordered me a Richard Carter helve from eBay , it was free postage and she couldn't find anyone who did it cheaper on the net.

The company hadn't got back to me, probably only interested in wholesale orders.

Anyroad I'll sharpen the adze over the weekend. To get the flat bevel section on the bottom I'll rig some blocks of wood to support the heel at the right height/angle and use wet and dry on a glass sheet to remove the metal. It won't take long as it's not far off flat as it is. The top will have to be done with slips tones, may be after some filing if its way out.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It turns out I owe Carters an apology, just had a e from a company in Rochdale who Carters had got I touch with to arrange me getting a helve from them, they would have even dropped it off and for a couple of quid cheaper than eBay. Would have been £11.53 plus Vat.

This is what comes of being impatient.

Oh well.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Much to my please t surprise the Carter helve herself ordered me arrived while we're were out on a wander, she only ordered it Thursday. Looking at the couriers docket it's not that surprising as its only come from Accrington ( nearest town of any size and where we were earlier. Some industrial estate but if it's a shop rather than a mail only depot I know where they are now.

The grains not perfect, there's a bit of diaganal to it rather than pure front to back but it's plenty good enough.

I'm a bit knackered today so rather than bodge it I'll fit it tomorrow after the heads sharpened and taped up.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
When you get ready to sharpen the adze, make certain that you have a try-stick, a piece of wood, to try the edge as you go along.
A few hits will not set you back. But as you go, you will see and feel the improvement in the edge.

It's quite obvious with my elbow and D adzes. They just get "hard" to strike with, as if they slip, not cut.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Finally had time to finish the adze, which took most of the morning in the end. The edge came in nearer 28 degrees than 30 and to keep it that high I only flattened for about half a inch going back from the edge on the underside, to go further back I would have needed to decrease the angle or would have had to dramatically change the angle on the top. The try stick really helped, i think i would have oversharpened it if I hadn't tried the blade regularly. I dug out the leather wheel and honed the edge on both sides. Its pretty darned sharp any way, i will make a leather guard asap. The handles had three coats of oil so far and the ends have been stood in a jar of linseed for a hour or so each. I don't have anything big enough to soak it all in one go so I will have to rub it in a few times more.

FootAdze_zpspborww6f.jpg

No idea when Ill have a real chance to use it but at least its there for when I do.

ATB

Tom

PS saw about the same sized shipwrights adze in the top tool stall on Saturdays Huddersfield flea market for £30. Better condition than mine when I first got it and complete with a very curvy handle. The wood does need some work on the socket end but nothing that couldn't be solved with scarping in a new bit. It hadn't sold by the time we'd left, pretty late on.

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Proper Job Tom!
I look FWD to seeing the sheath too. 👍
How the hell do you find the time ?
Your garden must looking pretty good right now too...
Look FWD to seeing what you planted in terms of heirlooms and ancient grain, this year.

ATB

Thanks for sharing

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm grinning from ear to ear. That is elegant. Well done.
If I bought a squar-ish split post for carving, I'd like to round it off. There's a tool to do all the rough work.

When you think it needs a touch up, paint a bunch of short lines on the bevel with a black felt marker.
As they rub off, you'll know exactly what's happening and where.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I've about half a dozen sheaths and edge covers that need making already. Unfortunately apart from sorting out my leather working tool box ( and coming to the conclusion my current lack of system needs to be replaced with something that isn't a complete pain to use ) I've got zip done since I made the silly hat for my mate.

Normally I've a fair bit of time for projects being a house husband but I've currently got a lot of work pending on the house so apart from basic maintenance I've had to knock the gardening on the head for this year. Herself and the middle son will/are doing some planting but I don't think any thing will be of a historical nature. Well not unless herself can find the tin of dyers plant seeds she's been picking up to plant this year.

To to be honest I'm glad we've been slow getting started in the garden, until the last week or so we've still been getting hard frosts so we have probably lost a lot had they gone in at the supposed right time. Also the tobacco seeds we were given turned out to be duds, old stock so nowt came of that. I fancied making my own insectorcide rather than smoke the stuff. Oh and the hops haven't shown any sign of coming up yet so I think they were dud as well. Or I did something wrong but I followed the instructions.

And yes I couldn't resist having a little nibble at some floorboards to see if it cuts!

Atb

Tom

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Cheers! I've about half a dozen sheaths and edge covers that need making already. Unfortunately apart from sorting out my leather working tool box ( and coming to the conclusion my current lack of system needs to be replaced with something that isn't a complete pain to use ) I've got zip done since I made the silly hat for my mate.

Normally I've a fair bit of time for projects being a house husband but I've currently got a lot of work pending on the house so apart from basic maintenance I've had to knock the gardening on the head for this year. Herself and the middle son will/are doing some planting but I don't think any thing will be of a historical nature. Well not unless herself can find the tin of dyers plant seeds she's been picking up to plant this year.

To to be honest I'm glad we've been slow getting started in the garden, until the last week or so we've still been getting hard frosts so we have probably lost a lot had they gone in at the supposed right time. Also the tobacco seeds we were given turned out to be duds, old stock so nowt came of that. I fancied making my own insectorcide rather than smoke the stuff. Oh and the hops haven't shown any sign of coming up yet so I think they were dud as well. Or I did something wrong but I followed the instructions.

And yes I couldn't resist having a little nibble at some floorboards to see if it cuts!

Atb

Tom

Theres still time for those hops to come up anyway isn't there?
It's only May ...

By the way if you need some damn good heirlooms and "forgotten" varieties , these guys will sell them ...

http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/

But only a reasonable amount and not every year...

As they obviously encourage us to collect the seeds when they are ready in your crop and re-use those...

These will bear viable seeds !😎

Unlike them F1 Hybrid jobs, you get at your local garden centre...😡

Seed saving is becoming rare and almost forgotten..
Hope they will continue to grow and folk continue to share...

Meanwhile Tom , Good job on the adze! Don't go carving the floorboards ...😆😂

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Worth setting a number four stanley handplane up with a more cambered than usual iron as well.
That way you can use it like a scrub plane.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE