Hunting shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks
I had a bit of luck today and from a charity shop (and for the princely sum of two quid) acquired a 10 foot 2 inch by 5 foot square of Rifle green heavy wool, almost coat weight. I also picked up a slightly smaller piece of similar stuff in grey. Both passed the burn and allergy tests so I think it's not a blend so should be OK around the fire.

Anyroad, herself has just ordered me a hunting shirt pattern from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290359295814

and as soon as it arrives I'll start making myself a pullover one. Hopefully it will be a better cut than the blanket shirt I made.

I'll put up pics when it's done and if it works well I'll get some linen and make a summer version. It's a design I have always admired.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!, Not sure yet if I'm going to blankets stitch the raw edges or tape them.

The seller has e-mailed me to say its already in the post which is great service!

I've a few references for period stitching so i may as well do it correct, I'm hand sewing after all.

ATB

Tom

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
A bit like Ron Hoods?

lvidcap_3226.jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup, thats the thing, more traditionally made from heavy linen but wool was used .

I think mine will be a little less frilly and will be a pull over rather than the bath robe closed with a belt style.

ATB

Tom

Jan 6, 2010
tennessee
A buddy of mine has one in wool and he taped the edges...if I were to make one for myself I would do that. His has three capes if Im not mistaken.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The pattern for the hunting shirt finally arrived today and I have taken tissue copies of the XXL sized bits and cut out all the parts. I'll start sewing them together tomorrow.

HuntingShirt1.jpg

The pattern comes as 8 A1 sheets of newspaper weight paper with the three largests parts (arm, front and back torso) in two parts you have to tape together. There was a slight disparity in these two part sections but it didn't affect using them and anyway I made single piece tissue versions of each part to preserve the patterns with the required corrections. The pattern comes with a 6 sides of A4 sized instruction sheet which explains construction clearly and includes some general sewing tips and just over a side dedicated to making a buckskin or leather version.

There was a conveniant line on the front torso pattern that you can use as a fold line for making a pull over version.

The whole lot comes in a large and sturdy Zip lock bag, a small detail but a improvement on the paper envelopes other patterns I have used come in.

ATB

Tom

PS cutting out a XXL version with just one cape has used up all the 2.5 yards by 60 inch piece of cloth less a couple of square feet. Conveniantly thats more than enough for the larger, second, cape should I later decide that one cape isn't weather proof enough. I'm intending to treat it with lanolin as per Toddys instructions.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'm still bashing on with the shirt, the gathering at the shoulders was a new experience but not as bad as I thought it would be. I've reached the stage of sewing up the underarms and side seams...

HuntingShirt3Gusset.jpg

I am sewing everything with a back stitch and then when I know it is is right will do the 2nd line where it says it is appropriate and then finish the seams with various period correct ways, just to practice. I found a rather neat site for 18th C stitching techniques

http://www.nwta.com/patterns/pdfs/134stitch.pdf

It will be a lot better made from Linen but this is good practice.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Tried the hunting shirt to see if it needed shortening before I hemmed it.
if the pica are a bit blurred its because herself was wetting herself while she took the shots...

Huntingshirt01.jpg

Huntingshirt02.jpg

Still got bits to do on it of course but it is remarkably comfortable. The Linen one will be much better.

ATB

Tom

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Tombear, that looks fantastic,
I'd certainly be interested in a closer look at the pattern if it becomes available sometime. The colour is great and I really like the collar/cape combination - though I think I'd opt for an open front style, my Swannies are all over-the-head and I'd like something different. I still think you are a jammy git for scoring that material for a song - all I ever find in charity shops are moth-eaten and torn wool blends.

ATB

Ogri the trog

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks! :-{D)

I do trawl the charity shops every workday (theres nowt else to do in the centre of Accrington at dinner) so the grannies who run them have got to know the stuff I am after, no matter how odd it is. I pick up a lot of unused "skirt lengths" of wool, often tweed that are great for making stuff for the kids like these "Saxon trousers" (big to grow into)

TedsNewTrews.jpg

And hat

TedsSkullCap02.jpg

The grey stuff is swanni lining I cadged off them years ago for patching.

I'm nearly finished so if you can photo copy the instructions and trace the pattern sheets fairly quickly (it will take a couple of weeks for me to source the linen I want at least) I can send them off to you straight away.

In one of my nobler moments I traced the size I was making onto tissue so I didn't have to cut it out so others could use it after (or in case I lost a lot of weight ;-{D).

I'm also thinking of making a open fronted one next as it will be for warmer weather and anyway its the most common sort/typical you see in contemporary illustrations.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, I am now heartily sick of the shirt. Just finished sewing the seams back

shirtseam.jpg

in the approved 18th C style and sewn the extra lines of stitches the pattern recomends.

All I have to do now is two button holes and its done.

There is one thing, I need to reinforce where the neck hole ends.

headhole.jpg

No decided how to do it period yet.

ATB

Tom

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
you intend walking around in that? well you look bloody silly, like a pantomime elf. get real.

What is your problem? It is probably a garment that is comfortable, durable and will keep him warm regardless of minor things like rain or sleet. And as for looking silly; that is all a matter of taste. Personally I think a lot of what passes for fashion these days looks "bloody silly" (not to mention some historical stuff, e.g powedered wigs for field uniforms), but that does not mean I'd heckle someone for wearing it. Grow up.

graiman

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2009
caithness, scotland
you intend walking around in that? well you look bloody silly, like a pantomime elf. get real.

That was a bit mean dont ya think? regardless of his appearance that's some crackin work, sewing can be a pain especially on the bigger projects so well done tombear for taking the time to make and share :You_Rock_

graiman

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point

That's rather mean, I must say.. And your first post? Maybe you're in the wrong place.

Well done, Tom. Don't be put off by that sort of useless comments. It's a lot of work to make one of those by hand, one of these days I'll finish the one I started :eek:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE