Helping Stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
With my recent diagnosis of chronic rheumatoid arthritis and the limitations this disease has left me with, i needed to come up with solutions for everyday tasks that you normally you give no thought to whatsoever, one of those tasks is the simplicity of picking something up you have dropped on the floor or reaching up into a cupboard or getting something off of a shelf.

I really enjoy coming up with solutions to my problems as it makes me think and as i can't get on with litter picking type helping hands as i use crutches and also have Arthritis in my hands, so i came up with my helping stick.

All it is is a simple stick that was cut from a Hazel tree in the garden, to which i've drilled a hole that has a loop of nylon running through it that can be used to lasso things i've dropped or that can be grabbed this way off of a shelf etc, the other end has a small brass hook for picking things up and a small magnet glued onto the end, the stick can also be used to lift things up like a t-shirt that i might have dropped by putting the stick under it and lifting, its also useful for taking socks off by putting the stick inside the sock and pulling my foot out, i guess its uses are only limited by the person using it.

It's not pretty, but it works for me, i explained this tool to the OT's when i was in hospital and they asked to see it, so my family bought it in for me and the OT's were amazed, it also keeps my brain going by thinking of, designing, then making things to help me in my situation.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Clever :)

If you don't mind me making one small suggestion (I'll only claim 10% royalties :)) - you could drill a hole in the other end, pass the string through and knot it, and then you don't run the chance of dropping the string all the time (obviously leaving plenty of length for a loop at the bottom). Or just tape it!

Reactions: Kepis

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Clever :)

If you don't mind me making one small suggestion (I'll only claim 10% royalties :)) - you could drill a hole in the other end, pass the string through and knot it, and then you don't run the chance of dropping the string all the time (obviously leaving plenty of length for a loop at the bottom). Or just tape it!

I did think about putting another hole in the bottom, but decided against it, as with the cord free, i can create another loop and use that on the stick like a fishing rod to lasso bits and bobs that have fallen out of reach of the stick itself.

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy and Broch

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
"Necessity is the Mother of Invention." Very innovative picker-upper.
Isn't it a relief to recover some means of activity? Well done.

My sense of balance is really poor. Always great risk of falling if I bent down to pick something up. Lower legs too weak to get up unassisted. I bought a Grip 'n Grab but it requires good hand strength for use, even for things no bigger than tuna cans.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
"Necessity is the Mother of Invention." Very innovative picker-upper.
Isn't it a relief to recover some means of activity? Well done.

My sense of balance is really poor. Always great risk of falling if I bent down to pick something up. Lower legs too weak to get up unassisted. I bought a Grip 'n Grab but it requires good hand strength for use, even for things no bigger than tuna cans.

I miss RV, always a solid contribution. Sorry for the interruption Mark great work by the way!

Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE