Hunting Rabbits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Interestingly, nobody has mentioned catapults yet.
Takes some practise to get proficient, but deadly in the right hands.

If you want to make one have a read of Richard Middleton's book "The Practical Guide to Man Powered Bullets" - far too many things in there fall foul of Skippy's list clause 87 :D - note: the section on low pressure airguns, while highly amusing, would land you in Parkhurst if you actually built one like his in the UK without the appropriate paperwork.

If you'd rather buy one - then speak to Fish at http://www.huntercatapults.co.uk - accept no substitute in a bought catapult for hunting, these are the best.

Anyone with any doubts about the lethality of a hunting catapult, with the right ammunition of course, should have a look at Jörg Sprave's youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave

Cheese :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Gentlemen,
May I remind you of the need to remain within the wording of the law as pertaining to permissions and methods of "taking" prey.

With thanks

Ogri the trog

zorro

Nomad
Jun 6, 2009
Chesterfield UK
not much cruel about snares in my experience 9 times out of 10 when i go and check mine the rabbits are just sat there nice and quietly not struggling and most of the time not dead. as long as you're responsible about checking them snares are an incredibly efficient way of catching rabbits

In my experience the last thing a snared animal does is sit nice and quiet.

If the animal is lucky it will be snagged around the neck and choke itself.

Otherwise it will suffer horrific injuries to body or limb and die from shock or blood loss, or worse still live long enough to be discovered and hopefully dispatched quickly.

In my humble opinion snares belong in the same dustbin as gin traps.

If you feel you must trap rabbits, please use a humane one.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Just bought the 'Brown Hunter' + a box of ammo from http://www.huntercatapults.co.uk/

It's a serious weapon. I ain't even thinking of going hunting with it until I've got plenty of practice in. These babies look powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztpBkviDKIw

Good choice! They're absolutely lethal once you get your eye in - if it's the .44 lead ball ammo you bought you're going to be getting in the region of 18lbft-1 at anything up to around 20 yards.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I no longer snare rabbits for a variety of reasons, but in my youth in Michigan, some other boys and I occasionally set a snare line. We only did it in the winter when it was possible to see the rabbit trails in the woods quite clearly. we made a slip noose out of a single strand of wire. the noose was attached to any handy sapling beside the trail.

We would bait the snare with a small piece of bread on either side of the snare. It was unbelievably efficient. We never set out more than a dozen or so snares and would always get a rabbit or two every day.

When the rabbit gets into the snare and senses that something is not right, he will bolt and chock himself instantly. Not once, did I ever encounter a rabbit sitting waiting on some one to put him out of his misery. Never did I find any rabbit that showed the slightest injury. Not even from the wire. I never saw a rabbit that was snared somewhere other than the neck.

I have seen animals shot with air guns, rifles, shotguns, and bows that did not die this cleanly. I am as appalled as anyone to see an animal suffer needlessly. My point is that they do not suffer on the average any longer that any other animal that was taken with anything less than a hit to the central nervous system.

My biggest complaint about snares is that people set them and then get lazy and not run the line. Killing and wasting animals. There is no "thrill of the hunt," in it. It is however efficient and if I was lost or stranded it would frankly be my choice if I was going to stay in one place for a time. Otherwise it no longer holds any attraction for me.

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
Good choice! They're absolutely lethal once you get your eye in - if it's the .44 lead ball ammo you bought you're going to be getting in the region of 18lbft-1 at anything up to around 20 yards.

Wicked. Yeah I ordered the .44's x 100 If used correctly they can be even more powerful than an air rifle!

To practice I got an old beat-up wardrobe which I'll hang an old t-shirt (put arms) through the pole so to dampen the shot and retrieve my leads or pebbles. I'll then hang a can top with a hole from a piece of string (infront of the t-shirt) as a target... Should work ok me thinks.

Regarding the snares debate, I would only consider using them in a true survival situation.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
In my experience the last thing a snared animal does is sit nice and quiet.

If the animal is lucky it will be snagged around the neck and choke itself.

Otherwise it will suffer horrific injuries to body or limb and die from shock or blood loss, or worse still live long enough to be discovered and hopefully dispatched quickly.

In my humble opinion snares belong in the same dustbin as gin traps.

If you feel you must trap rabbits, please use a humane one.

i don't know what your doing wrong then because i rarely find dead rabbits in my snares. i think you might be referring to self locking snares which are illegal and don't release the pressure when the animal stops struggling, causing the death by choking you mentioned. using free running snares means that when the animal stops struggling the pressure is released, and when it realises it can't escape it'll try to hide itself

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
What would you lot suggest as a good snare wire material?

Been looking around B&Q and the like but still not convinced on any particular wire... Not that I'm likely to use them but I'm trying to complete my absolute essential survival kit which also includes snares for trapping rabbits.

Thanks in advance.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
IIRC it used to be brass wire, plaited together so it would hold as it constricted and not slip.

Corrosion resistant and thick enough not to decapitate the rabbit.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE