Writer needing help - bow hunting rabbits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Have to feed this gang, year round? You have got to provide calories in excess of expenditure.
Two per person might be filling but still nutritionally inadequate. Have you read "The Martian?" You should.
The caloric needs are discussed in a very accurate fashion.

I'd use a chest shot. Gut ASAP. Late autumn chills the meat and that is the prime factor for taste.
Use the gut piles as bait for other game (foxes? bargers?)

Birds? I'd use blunt-tip bird arrows with flu-flu fletching. Good medicine for grouse hunting in winter.
Grouse fat tastes terrible but you need to eat it if that's all that's on the table..

Reactions: Spirit fish

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
One of the problems with rabbits and hares in North America, probably similar elsewhere, is that in the warmer months they tend to have many parasites and diseases. Old time time American saying was to only hunt rabbits in months with an 'R' in them.

Sep 5, 2017
Northwich
As an archer myself I'd say that I would never hunt with a bow a target so small Unless I could be assured I could get close , very close.
Most rabbits in medieval times were caught with traps and snares.
Arrows were not something used or very rarely as an above poster said , because of the time and effort which would go into making them.
They would be used only for big game like deer.

Hope this helps and good luck with the book!.
I'm assuming also that your fantasy book is set in the medieval type period?.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE