How to improve a basic Sewing kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
wow pretty good solution!
my ony worry would be it might encourage people to cut towards their thumb, and you can guess it'll be that one time you forget to use the cover it that you slip....ouch.
My wife cuts veg like this all the time and every onw and then gets a nasty thumb cut, I've always taught my kids to cut away from themselves, they listen but My wife won't be told :rolleyes:
good idea though.

anyone got a solution of how to carry needles?

I like the Asda needle case, but mine at present (shown in the photo are partially wraped in duck tape as a sort of cover.

Does anyone know of a clever space saving way to store them?

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I carry my needles in the brass from some old rounds that fit snuggly inside each other ... I forget what the calibers are...

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I carry my needles in the brass from some old rounds that fit snuggly inside each other ... I forget what the calibers are...

aw soo cool, how do you do it, you've turned your sewing kit from a potentially effeminate thing, to a MENS dangerous thing!
if it's a small kit I'm guessing perhaps 2 -9mm cal? perhaps a 5.56?

now... where is that 50. cal round....;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
This is my leatherworking needle set in similar holders..
.P4040002.jpg
P4040003.jpg
25-06 Rem
22-250 Rem
223 rem
357 magnum
donated by Mr Red a long while ago :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I always have some sewing kit with me.

Sewing-Kit.jpg

If I haven't got my leather working kit with me then it's this little set contained in a Saami sewing pouch.

Most of the needles are contained in a replica of a bobbin and needle case found on the Mary Rose.

The larger needles sit on either side of the wadmal flap of the pouch.

I have a couple of other bobbins, one for more linen thread and the other for two different weights of artificial sinew.

A retracting Scalpel and a bog oak and antler handled awl deal with cutting and piercing.

There should be some bees wax in there somewhere but I need to put a new lump in.

If I'm going light I just carry the Mary Rose bobbin.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Ok See I'm going to have to "Macho up" my sewing kit Mr Fenna! ;)

Wayland!
I spotted an elder awl tip cover too!
It's a fairly hardcore kit and I like the historical side!

You could change the scalpul to a flint knife and the metal needles for bone!
it's not far off a sewing kit you could show at museums!

What is the small wooden Toggle thing at the bottom of the photo?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yes indeed, that is the stopper for the needle case/bobbin.

borgwork.jpg

For museum work I have more accurate or time appropriate replicas in my leather working bag seen just right of my elbow in this shot.

I couldn't get away with that set for living history as, quite apart from the scalpel, there are two separate cultures and hundreds of years difference between some of the items.

My "bushcraft" gear tends to be a resting place for historical and vintage equipment that I cannot necessarily use in my work but I still like to use anyway.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
I always have some sewing kit with me.

Sewing-Kit.jpg

If I haven't got my leather working kit with me then it's this little set contained in a Saami sewing pouch.

Most of the needles are contained in a replica of a bobbin and needle case found on the Mary Rose.

The larger needles sit on either side of the wadmal flap of the pouch.

I have a couple of other bobbins, one for more linen thread and the other for two different weights of artificial sinew.

A retracting Scalpel and a bog oak and antler handled awl deal with cutting and piercing.

There should be some bees wax in there somewhere but I need to put a new lump in.

If I'm going light I just carry the Mary Rose bobbin.

So fine work there !!

Wigate

Forager
Nov 19, 2006
Hong Kong
I have a pouch kit like RAPPLEBY2000's.
In it, I added nutria brown buttons in assorted sizes, needles, nutria brown threads and a very nicely made small pointy scissor from a South African Defence Force sewing kit.

Waylaid, I am keen to get a leather pouch like yours and those bobbins with needle container. Please direct me to a source if possible.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm afraid I don't have any online sources for you.

The pouch was hand made by an unknown Saami craftsperson and I bought it at the Winter Market in Jokkmokk this year.

The turned wood bobbins and needle holder were also hand made and they were found at The Original Re-enactors Market (TORM) which I visit twice a year but unfortunately I cannot recall which stalls they came from.

The turned items should be fairly simple to get made by a wood turner though. The leather work might be a little trickier to replicate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE