How to improve a basic Sewing kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
You might carry needles and thread as part of EDC kit, (I have some in a survival tin) but, on another recent thread I came across a Horribly overpriced basic sewing kit and thought I'd show people how they can upgrade the sewing kit they have fairly cheaply. I'd give an example of mine which I think is fairly sensible.

I was given one of these as a present, it's ok as a basic kit, it has a well made pouch, but very limited contents.
3200.jpg

It only really caters for the old US army (grey)ACU Uniforms. It has horrible scissors whos only purpose appears to be to make your fingers sore and tiny needles and pins.

Well I thought about this there is a lot of spare room in the pouch for other bits, and I had a rummage for some spares that would fit.
so I've taken out some bits and replaced others and now I have a fairly rounded usable sewing kit.
C8E1QbeWkAAN_bQ.jpg:large

I think i'd like to add stronger thread and one of those wire needle threaders for those times when you just can't thread a needle!
I could also add few cable ties and brass wire for repairs to boots or rucksack etc.
The SAK is a perhaps not needed, but it's a spare to my other SAK, and far more useful than the folding scissors.

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Good thinking Rappleby,

Some great additions to your kit too.

As for getting a "needle threader" can I recommend one with a molded plastic handle rather than the thin pressed metal ones - as I always seem to pull the threading wire out of the metal ones - the eyes are getting old now ;)
Also a recommendation for a spool of "Unflavored dental floss" which is basically artificial sinew and will afford multiple uses to your kit.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Thanks for comenting :)

Ah yes, I should have remembered the dental floss trick! I have some too!

I'm wondering how long the Duck tape will remain useful, I've just stuck it onto that waxed paper that paper sticky lables come on, seems to stay on,and peel off easily...at the moment.
The Buckle bottom of photo is a home made emergency buckle fix, don't know how strong it is as it's not branded, but it's fairly chunky.

I've just added spares and bits from other sewing kits or so technically I haven't spent any money to upgrade it which is cool!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Well that looks a lot better equipped than this tactical sewing kit :rolleyes:

The "Tactical sewing kit" below is the £9.95 "Horribly overpriced basic sewing kit" in question! ;)
iipsrv.fcgi

Is anyone else confused as to how a Hi-vis yellow container could be described as "Tactical".

If you want to buy a pre-made a military type sewing kit. A "House-wife" or "Hussiff" made by a company like Webtex would be a better choice you can see it has twice as much kit and lots of space to add your own bits. It is cheaper than the "Tactical" kit above at only £7.95 (but you could still make one yourself for much less money).
https://www.springfields.co.uk/web-...gle_shopping&gclid=CJv2xcjo-9ICFU0W0wodTqEJTg
39-2250-52-1-4923_1_1410530822.jpg

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice kit there.

Only additions I'd suggest are dental floss as Ogri already has suggested and an awl for help with leatherwork repair or sewing thick webbing etc.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I don't own a dedicated sewing kit.. i've never really thought about it.. until seeing this thread ( no pun intended lol). Think i'll get one cobbled together.. should have plenty of stuff at home to make one. :)

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
13de68b262821b651494f22cc081260b.jpg

As I work away from home this is the little kit that comes with me...cost about 3 quid from Asda.

It's surprising how often I use it!

Thanks,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Am I the only person to have issues with "thimbles"?

Even the larger sized ones in the fabric shop are tiny on my podgy digits - seriously thinking about modifying a 22mm copper plumbing "stop-end"!

Ogri the trog

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Interesting how often other group members need to use the contents of my edc sewing kit. My safety pins have saved female colleagues' skirts from falling down during an important conference and secured someone's failing boots in the Pyrenees. I look after my own kit and keep it in peak condition, so seldom need field repairs. Needles are most often used for splinter and blister treatment.

A sewing kit when needed is vital. But it can be quite simple. Needles, one with a large eye, dental floss, safety pins, a bit of duct tape and a bit of wire meet my needs : and the needs of unprepared travelling companions in my experience!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I was going to be flashy and say I'd make a awl from bone but then remembered theres a purpose made awl on my multitool! :lmao:

I like the Asda kit, it's worth buying for the tiny white needle container, I would how ever suggest a Metal thimble, when working with thick material I have had needles go through plastic ones, which meant due to the force the blunt end of the needle+thread went into my finger....ouch!

As for thimbles, I too find them small and uncomfortable! I often use pliers but you do have to be careful as you can bend or break the back end off some needles. I have tried using leather gloves in the past instead of a thimble, which works quite well, but the needle does go through them occasionally.

you can get single finger covers made of thick leather, don't even know what they're called but they look a bit like the black covers you get for a broken finger/thumb.
I found one in a carboot fishing kit so I assume it was for when making fishing flies or suchlike, they looked homemade though so don't know if you can buy them.

If I'm at home removing stitches I'll carefully cut all the threads on the seam with a sharp blade(scalpul), then pull off the longer bits and tidy the last tiny bits with tweezers.
I've used duck tape before to remove some of the loose threads with variying success.

As for getting married to improve sewing....I do more sewing than my wife! She mostly does slight adjustments to school clothes or fashion items.
My sewing kit is huge in comparrison I tend to fix, make experimental kit, and make things with really tough fabric, with a handpowered retro Singer sewing machine.

Last edited:

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
you can get single finger covers made of thick leather, don't even know what they're called but they look a bit like the black covers you get for a broken finger/thumb.
I found one in a carboot fishing kit so I assume it was for when making fishing flies or suchlike, they looked homemade though so don't know if you can buy them.

Not sure what they are called either, but it for actual fly fishing they are used rather than the fly tying - something to do with protecting your finger from the wet line continually running over it I believe. Probably very useful, but I've never found the need for one.

My sewing kit is very similar to that Asda one 'cept mine came from Wilkos

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE