How safe is river water?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Also, what do people here practice?

1 chlorine tablet per litre of clean looking water, and 2 tablets for murky water?

Need some help with this :)

Cheers

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
It all really depends on what's upstream. Dead sheep, sewage pipe, pesticides from a field?
IMHO tablets are good, but I proper filter is even better.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Also, what do people here practice?

1 chlorine tablet per litre of clean looking water, and 2 tablets for murky water?

Need some help with this :)

Cheers

Depends what you mean by river, Generally most rivers, streams & canals in England ( most of europe come to that) would be unfit to drink. As Trunks said, what's upstream is your concern, I'll add to his list, toxic factory waste which finds it's way into nearly every water course. Clear water is no guarantee of purity & chlorine tablets only kill microbes ( you could boil it as well).& filters won't take out everything. There are so many possible polluants, that unless your're dying of thirst, know the river very well or have access to a mountain spring/ stream, don't drink it.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I use a Mill bank bag to filter the water then bring to the boil and drink/use(once cooled obviously), have a wander up stream to see if there is any major industry or signs of pollutants, even look on-line for any kind of news about the water way your likely to use, but i have drunk water treated this way from many different water source, and suffered as yet no ill effects.

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
In the Lake District my wife and I were out walking and had stupidly run out of drinking water on a very hot day. We passed a fast flowing stream but we didn't risk drinking from it but chatting at the b&b afterwards the owner told us that the locals drink from the stream all the time. I know you can buy bottles with built in filtration, has anyone used one of these and are they any good ?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I use a Mill bank bag to filter the water then bring to the boil and drink/use(once cooled obviously), have a wander up stream to see if there is any major industry or signs of pollutants, even look on-line for any kind of news about the water way your likely to use, but i have drunk water treated this way from many different water source, and suffered as yet no ill effects.

I do hope your right Even minor industry pollutes & not just by versing it's filth directly into the water but by air as well. Many rivers are interlinked too, so even if on any particular course there's no sign of anything, does'nt mean the all clear...............I'm probably over dramatising a bit & I admit I don't understand some bushcrafters who wish to drink from a river or stream at all costs,

Last edited:

garethw

Settler
Years ago when I lived in the UK, we were fishing a lake that was flanked by the river Test. We used the river water to cook with every day to no ill effect. Then one of my friends made up some Angel Delight without boiling the water.. god were we ill !!! Puking, fever the works....
I'm sure if we'd continued to use boilied water we would have suffered no such mishap, especially as it was very clear and tasted sweet... BUT as previous poster have said you never know what has polluted the water course.
Similarly I've drunk lake water tea on many occasions.. if the water is clean and boilied it is 99% safe to drink.
cheers
Gareth

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
In the Lake District my wife and I were out walking and had stupidly run out of drinking water on a very hot day. We passed a fast flowing stream but we didn't risk drinking from it but chatting at the b&b afterwards the owner told us that the locals drink from the stream all the time. I know you can buy bottles with built in filtration, has anyone used one of these and are they any good ?

The locals from DELIVERANCE drank from the river too...............with no ill effects.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Years ago when I lived in the UK, we were fishing a lake that was flanked by the river Test. We used the river water to cook with every day to no ill effect. Then one of my friends made up some Angel Delight without boiling the water.. god were we ill !!! Puking, fever the works....
I'm sure if we'd continued to use boilied water we would have suffered no such mishap, especially as it was very clear and tasted sweet... BUT as previous poster have said you never know what has polluted the water course.
Similarly I've drunk lake water tea on many occasions.. if the water is clean and boilied it is 99% safe to drink.
cheers
Gareth

Bonjour, oui mais ce le 1% qui reste qui vous tuera !...... MDR

Nicholson95

Feb 24, 2011
Livingston
1 chlorine/aqua/purie tab to 1 ltr, no matter what the colour of the water... never done me any harm...
all my purie tabs are from MOD ration packs so I dunno if they are mil spec or what?
on all the army training caders I have been on they have all assured me its 1 tb = 1 ltr even if its thick dark and murky... ?

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Filter n boil or premac u are pretty much good to go, chemical run off in most parts is negligible to mch chem when you boil intensifies to chem obviously, never take chances with your water always filter n purify, or you will turn a comfy bushcraft situation into a survival situation and run out of clean cacks in no time at all.. ;)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
1 chlorine/aqua/purie tab to 1 ltr, no matter what the colour of the water... never done me any harm...
all my purie tabs are from MOD ration packs so I dunno if they are mil spec or what?
on all the army training caders I have been on they have all assured me its 1 tb = 1 ltr even if its thick dark and murky... ?

The way the MOD treats it's soldiers, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence.............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE