How safe is river water?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
To be honest I would not drink any water from any of the low land rivers of south Wales they really are to dirty, and yes they might tell us are rivers are the cleanest they have every been but what they don't tell you is how dirty they really are.

looks like this thread is ebbing, prehaps it has run it's course. I've tried to pump some energy into it but my intellectual flow has evaporated & I feel as though I'm swimming against the current. Although at first my words came flooding in I am now having trouble streaming my thoughts as my enthousiasm dampens. I have been swept away by the tidal wave of knowledge, & I wasn't banking on such levels of fluidity in your replies. My presence on this thread has sent out quite a few ripples & no doubt you think me wet or round the bend, some may even say I'm not worth a cup of cold water, I don't care, for me, it's all water under the bridge.

A very watered down post there Wolfmiester

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
As you well know professor, there are many kinds of radiation & what fell from Tchernobyl clouds is not the same kind as found in some granite..we are bombarded with radiation every day from the sun, & if you are lucky enough to spend a few weeks in the mountains, you will recieve quite a healthy dose as well...........whatever comes our way we can't do anything about it so lt's useless worring about it, as you said it isn't necessarily dangerous, just a question of dosage............

your attitude stinks mate no wonder you're friendless

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
About time!! his attitude was terrible and he was really offensive on other threads-well done Mods!

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
I haven't read the whole of this thread, and this may have already been said earlier on, but I find that digging a gypsy well and allowing the ground to filter the water several times is a very effective means of achieving safe water.
I then filter it, boil it and if I'm really paranoid use silver purification tablets to make it safe.
I also look at local water life. If there is an abundance of fish and signs of local mammal life drinking the water frequently then I can assume that there isn't a high level of chemical pollution in the local water course.
If I do take water from a stream, then I almost always take it from the point at which it is fastest flowing, and again I filter it, boil it and add some sort of purification tablet or iodine drops.
Never had a problem yet.
Why take heavy bottles of water in your pack when we live in a land full of the wet stuff? If you take all the right precautions you should be able to live outdoors Evian free.

ATB

Josh H

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
A few years ago I did the research for my MSc with a remote community in Amazonian Brazil. It would have been impolite of me in that situation, living with them, to refuse what the people of the community gave me, so I did everything the experts say you should never do - water was taken from the river in a bucket, the sediment left to settle over night and drunk without boiling or treating in any way.

I'm still alive, is all I'm saying......:D

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
About water filtration I always wanted a Katadyn water filter, the ones they used to have in the Survival Aids catalogue. Finally got one for a really good price off Ebay. Then found out that it couldn't filter viruses like it said in the catalogue 'back in the day' and that you should be very careful of ceramic filers because they may have been dropped and cracked rendering it useless.

Ahhhhhhhh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE