How safe is river water?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
c'etait une blague mecs,

Hey dude pas de problème! c'est juste l'OP a été sérieusement la recherche d'informations sur la façon de traiter l'eau tandis que sur une volte, il me va très bien d'avoir matey amusant, mais pas au détriment de transmettre la bonne information à quelqu'un qui en ont besoin. Maisons de la paix! Haha et n'appelez pas me max! ;) and thats the last of my frenching up your thread chap.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
where we camp we drink the stream water with no ill affects as yet but there can always be a first time imho always check your water source regards dave

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Hey dude pas de problème! c'est juste l'OP a été sérieusement la recherche d'informations sur la façon de traiter l'eau tandis que sur une volte, il me va très bien d'avoir matey amusant, mais pas au détriment de transmettre la bonne information à quelqu'un qui en ont besoin. Maisons de la paix! Haha et n'appelez pas me max! ;) and thats the last of my frenching up your thread chap.

Oui, tu as raison, lets get back to the thread, I suppose there are those that drink swamp water & them that don't, I have drank all sorts of water in the past including pond slime, but if I have the choice, I'll stick with tap or bottled water........I will always carry more water than I need ( I have to carry my dog's supply aswell) ...as I said before, I can't understand why anyone, unless in absolute necessity, would want to drink from a river or stream in an indusrialised & polluted country, I know some 'bushcrafters' like to put themselves into pseudo survival situations & try to see if they can cope,test various bits of equipement, prehaps that's it...............I rest perplexed.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
where we camp we drink the stream water with no ill affects as yet but there can always be a first time imho always check your water source regards dave

This thread inspired me to take a good look at that stream on google maps... By the looks its actually a spring!

I'll take a good wander next time I'm up that way :) sure tastes gooood and if it wasn't coming straight off the hills, i would be dubious about it.

al.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere

Hill & moutain streams are usually o.k. ....people often say " I've drunk from a river with no ill effects" ....it's not the short term effects which matter, a few days of the runs & throwing up is not that serious, even an internal parasite invasion is not that serious, liver flukes for example, are great fun, it's more the long term consequences that concern me, there are already enough carcinogens & toxins in our lives so why add to them....could be a question of frequency, a little now & again won't hurt, I don't know.............

Allybally

Forager
Feb 23, 2006
Glasgow
So what is the recomended min time for boiling to keep the contents of yer bowls etc???
I've had the odd refresher from wee streams in the highlands with obviously no chemical / industrial contams but for getting a brew up without tabs, what would be the boiling time to be safe?
Ally

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
So what is the recomended min time for boiling to keep the contents of yer bowls etc???
I've had the odd refresher from wee streams in the highlands with obviously no chemical / industrial contams but for getting a brew up without tabs, what would be the boiling time to be safe?
Ally

Just bringing the water to a bubbling boil is enough to kill any microbes or bugs, but you can boil it for a minute or so for your peace of mind, but your'll have less water for your brew............

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
I think that research is the key to this problem. Find out the water bourne threats, and then find an effective way to neutralize it. According to Dr Backer the temperature of water only needs to be raised to 74.5 degrees for all harmfull bits and bobs to be made safe. I dont trust natural water sources anywhere in the World and treat it every time prior to drinking.

Relying on one method, IMHO, is not good practice. Just because a pump or filter, or chemical works for the streams of Somerset, doesn't mean it will be effective in India for example.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
In the Lake District my wife and I were out walking and had stupidly run out of drinking water on a very hot day. We passed a fast flowing stream but we didn't risk drinking from it but chatting at the b&b afterwards the owner told us that the locals drink from the stream all the time. I know you can buy bottles with built in filtration, has anyone used one of these and are they any good ?

There's nothing like local knowledge.

garethw

Settler
Ok I'll stay off the French too 'Mec' ....
I've looked at this quite closely as while out fishing for a week, even if I take water it is easy to run out and for washing up etc I often use boiled lake water. After my experience as a boy I'm now very wary.
If you look at several of the TV guys ie: Uncle Ray, and Mr Canterbury, they both indicate that boiling water is sufficient for get rid of harmful nasties. Now I understand this doesn't clarify, filter or cleanse the water in anyway, so some kind of filter may indeed be required.
I must admit I don't make lake water tea anymore but did so for years as a boy...
Finally the most scary consequence of untreated water for me is Weils disease, which two of my mates have contracted while fishing.
I think the moral of all this is precautions need to be taken seriously where water is concerned.
Merci les gars
Gareth

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
I have recently brought a Katadyn pocket filter, it awesome and is rated highly to remove a lot of nasties in the water, and water comes out crystal clear regardless of how murky the source. I then use a UV steripen to kill off any remaining nasties. My sister is a doctor of biochemistry and a published author of bacterial research, she assures me that this method would render water more than safe to drink, and if in doubt the water can always then be boiled or chemically treated. The Kit is fairly expensive but well worth the piece of mind it brings. No matter how good the kit though, good bushcrafting tells us to always check the source of the water (if pos.) and to use a bit of common sense...

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
In the UK, we graze sheep on upland pastures. This means you can't assume clear babbling brooks in the hills are ok for drinking unboiled. Just google liver fluke.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE