How safe are we

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
lol
do you think any wild cat would bother with a human if it had sheep and smaller game to go for ?
most areas of countryside have game keepers on them and they really do know there area anything out of the odinary would soon be spotted by these guys .

but let us not forget "you are unsafe where ever you are " lol

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
lol
do you think any wild cat would bother with a human if it had sheep and smaller game to go for ?
most areas of countryside have game keepers on them and they really do know there area anything out of the odinary would soon be spotted by these guys .

but let us not forget "you are unsafe where ever you are " lol

I would like to think im a lot taster than a sheep :D and easier to catch God since I thought that i've frightened myself even more :yikes:

No seriously I think your right I think they avoid contact with humans unless desperate

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Did anyone read the story in the Daily Mail on Monday about the 'Demon of Dartmoor'?
There was a photograph of a rather large predatory looking animal.
I tell you something if thats out and about I won't be camping on Dartmoor for a long time to come!:yikes:

O

oilyrag

They've successfully reintroduced Lynx, Wolf and Brown Bear over here. As usual it's stupid humans that cause problems with bears. I've heard tales of parents putting honey on children's hands so bears can lick it off, only a little surprised when the 600lb, 40mph apex predator rips poor little Johnny's arm clean off!
http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,495582,00.html
0,1020,923466,00.jpg

I'm far more likely to meet my maker by spraining an ankle or hypothermia. Although, suffering the same fate as this bloke does cross my mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFHVYWXkAJU&mode=related&search= luckily I don't play musical instruments.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
May all your wishes come true.

A face to face encounter with a top predator.

You will never feel as alive as you will at that moment and possibly never again.

:theyareon

Well I did once come close to a black bear, and happily have felt very much alive since that encounter :) . Very fortunately I didnt get into any trouble. I had travelle with some friends to their holiday cabin in Canada. It was a wild and lonely place.....:) I was in the habit of rising early and taking the canoe out to catch blue bass (I think thats what they were, good fighters a bit like perch with sharp spines on there gill cover's and frog lure's was a good method as there was a lot of baby frogs fall into the lake from the banks) I would catch and clean 2 or 3, stuff them with bread onions salt and pepper, wrap in old foil pie dishes and bake in a wheel rim fire. One time I was out on the water about 10 yards from the edge and I heard spalshing, I thought oh someone must be around the shallows with a dog, there was lots of little shallow inlets with reeds and stuff. (great places to watch fish). I registered the noise but thought nothing more of it. Next tyhing I look up ready to cast and theres a huge (so it seemed to me!!) black bear standing on a huge boulder right by the edge, 10 yards or so from me (and only about 2 yard's from the cabin:lmao:) I did nothing, I just sat still and the bear (dont know if it was male or female?) stood-sometimes on 2 leg's sometimes on all 4, and we watched each other intently for maybe a minute maybe not even that long, then it ran away. I had no idea what its body language or anything meant. My host's were shocked and amazed as they had used that cabin for amost 30 years and had never sen a single bear :eek: Subsequently we saw 3 more, a mother and a small one, and another eating beries with its paws:wow1: Another sight I can still see was a line of 4 or 5 deer swiming right across the lake in single file :cool: A mate of mine went to Africa to take photographs of bird's and, sadly, was taken by a crocodile. They never found his body or even any bit's to send home :yuck: .
As for the human's being dangerous, I agree entirely. Then again I remember 1972 our scout camp some of the lads woke up to find cows (frightened by the guy lines), jumping clean over the tents :lmao: Cows sometimes like to have fun and chase people but they dig there heel's in at the last moment and wont hit you as they are more frightend than you. The odd ocasion they do harm is when they escape from a mart and get all disorietated and frightened and end up getting shot.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
Did anyone read the story in the Daily Mail on Monday about the 'Demon of Dartmoor'?
There was a photograph of a rather large predatory looking animal.
I tell you something if thats out and about I won't be camping on Dartmoor for a long time to come!:yikes:

I thought that the picture looked like an old english sheepdog in need of a clean.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
That beast of Dartmoor picture looked a little odd, true could have been someone's massive hairy mut in need of a clip n clen but the experts rekoned it was a wild boar, sorry the front leg's looked a bit far out to me, more like a wolverine, don't think they come in black though :rolleyes:, could be wrong of course....

M

mob257774

A professor of Archeology from Lampeter University has written a scientific paper on sheep carcasses taken from the local hills. She analysed the teethmarks left on the bones and came to the conclusion that they had been chewed by foxes and medium sized felids. Quite how big medium sized is I don't know. But the evidence is there.

thewanderer

Sep 24, 2008
stanley county durham
id be careful round dipton after what i saw bout 4 pm few days after the florist reorted the sighting on the road by the brooms leadgate

i saw a mountain lion plain a simple whilst walking the dog it was approx 30 ft from me turned looked at me and cleared the 4ft barbed top fence that was running down the left side of the field
and recently a carcass up a tree

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Gotta be careful around Inverness I hear, specialy on the shores of the Loch, a big scary thing supposedly lurks around those parts:puppy_dog

And I've heard of people meeting up with big scary yellow hairy things whilst eating sugar puffs.:ban:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
It's Britain, and the most aggresive animal you're likely to encounter is a badger. And trust me, as long as you don't go punching a cub right in front of its mum then you should be ok.
:rolleyes:

I once stepped on a badger's set and the thing came roaring out and charged straight at me! Believe me, they have big nasty teeth and an even nastier side. Don't think I've run so fast in my life.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE