How safe are we

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
After reading a article recently about big cats roaming the country side a few years ago when I was wild camping in Dartmoor I come across a sheep bite marks on the back of the neck and most of the chest meat taken to the bone made me think how safe are we solo wild camping I must say I always take my martindale

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I would really like to see a wild cat and hope they are out there, even if they are there I think the bigger risk comes from people rather than anything wild and I don't really lose sleep over either. But spooky noises I can't explain:yikes: has a kept me alert on more than one occasion!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Noises can be a worry! I remember waking up last year in the woods on the opposite side of the road from Bergen Belsen, my usual bushcrafting area. There was a sound that I can only describe as a log being picked up by a giant and the giant using the log to club hell out of another log! Repeatedly!! And very loudly!!!

I was glad I'd packed my spare underwear!:eek:

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
We are safe enough i remember there being reports of a lot of sheep attacks over here and people saying that it was a puma then it was a lion then a panther it all situated around a forest where i walked my dogs and believe me if there had been anything out there my dogs would have found it. The photos of these supposed big cat attacks showed damage to the rear of sheep most big cats kill by attacking the throat or the face by suffocation and they dont leave the kill out in an open field. I do hope there large predators out there i am very much for the reintroduction of wolves.

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Noises can be a worry! I remember waking up last year in the woods on the opposite side of the road from Bergen Belsen, my usual bushcrafting area. There was a sound that I can only describe as a log being picked up by a giant and the giant using the log to club hell out of another log! Repeatedly!! And very loudly!!!

I was glad I'd packed my spare underwear!:eek:

Well it wasn't me, I'm strictly a northern northern giant and only prowl the woodland of County Durham. Interesting to think there may be another in your woodland tho :)

Kev

PS. Do not fear the giants we are a peaceful breed and only react in self defence. . .unless we find an unguarded pint of Theakstons old peculiar in which case RUN :lmao:

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
I have been told my snoring would scare anything away and I would agree it wakes me up sometimes:) as for the British big cat I have seen the "beast of Bluebell Hill" as we call it round here and while it is was BIG it didnt scare me just a hybrid wild moggy with an **** end that looks a bit puma like! out of proportion with the front end about the size of a Snow Leopard only smooth coated and JET black!!

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
I agree with Porkupine, man the greatest predator of all. Men (and women) are what you need to watch out for. Of every 1000 deaths in the wild caused by other living things, I think 999 of the killers will be people and only one will be the bear/wolf/cougar/octopus/giant-squid/big-foot/your-favorite-monster-here

Does that make you feel any safer?

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
My uncle had a few panthers on his farm. They took baby kalves. A woman was sittin out in the garden and she saw a large animal come through the vegetation, she thought it was a black Labradore dog but when it jumped up and climbed a tree the couldnt beleive here eyes! :Wow: Scary stuff i think but the panthers are more afraid of us!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Of course, BCUK and the members thereof cannot be held responsible if you do get your throat ripped out by a big cat on Dartmoor. Have a good time!:D

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
reads like you should be saying that really fast at the end of a advert:lmao:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A chap next street over found one in his garden late one night.

cleared an eight foot fence in one bound.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I must say I am very interested in these big cat theorys I remember me and a friend were out across in staffordshire once when we found a sheep that had been stripped of its stomach and most of its flesh apart from its feet in a field. The only sheep nearby were two fields away, this and the fact that the carcuss was still fresh with blood made me and my friend scarper quick smart.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I went to Chester Zoo last week and spent about half an hour trying to see the Jaguars, I knew there were three of them in an area the size of about a football field and half, still couldn't see them! I spotted a tiger in pretty much plain view after about five minutes staring at bushes. I know cats are great at not being seen, but if they were about surely they would have been picked up by thermal imaging kit somewhere, there are enough people looking.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I have no reason to doubt what I saw, if it had been wild dogs they would have killed it there and then two fields away It could only have been a big cat to take it from its field and take it away to strip it of any meat.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm not too sure if the big cats do really exist wild in the UK, but the idea is plausible. Private owners want to get rid, oh, Dartmoor seems as good a place as any!

Saying that, sometimes, a dead animal may look like it's had a nasty encounter with a big scary creature but if you look at the evidence it becomes obvious that it wasn't. I found a dead lamb on my shooting permission with the whole of its' stomach literally gone. I know for a fact that there aren't any big cats up here, and also know there are foxes cutting about the place. It's amazing how much of an appetite those little fellahs have!

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I think that until one has been succesfully traped alive we are only to speculate at this, I like to think there are big cats out there, we shall see

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE