How safe are we

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It's odd that in a place where there is zero chance of encountering a top predator you have a thread like this.

It would look funny in a forum in North America with its yearly quota of injuries/fatalities to bears or in Australia, Africa, South America. South Asia or South East Asia where crocodiles and big cats account for people each year.

Nonimouse

Sep 17, 2008
Somerset
I went to a Forestry Commison seminar on this a few years ago. Not just big cats but all the other oddities out there. It was very interesting. They also talked about the various re-introduction ideas that were being banded about - this being my personal favourite http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisent

A couple of people I have worked with over the years have sworn they have seen some kind of large black feline and I know I saw one of these on a site in South Wales http://www.kingsnake.com/elapids/banded_water_cobra.htm. Having seen them before in the far east and knowing what it was I left it well enough alone!

Too many things have escaped or simply been let loose in the UK and despite what your friendly eco warrior would believe we have some huge area where man just doesn't go - some of the land rec' sites I have worked on are huge; thousands of acres. And size doesn't really matter, the scorpions at Avonmouth docks prove that!

My opinion is leave it alone and it will leave you alone, if it has survived thus far then good on it. The world is changing all the time.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's odd that in a place where there is zero chance of encountering a top predator you have a thread like this.

Some people just love to worry. In fact, I suspect that the less actual danger you face, the more people go looking for things to worry about...

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Only thing I tend to worry about is the weather. I once was bitten twice by a very unhappy adder that had went into my sleeping bag while we were on excercise at Minley Manor near Aldershot, I was young, fit, healthy but was in hospital for a week dealing with the symptoms. Now I give them a wide berth, but I don't disturb any animal unnecessarily.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Honestly though, all this "mysterious beasts" stuff is just twaddle

Heres the hate Mail's "demon of dartmoor"

demon030807_468x331.jpg

And here again when its owner had washed it

2BeastBodminAPX_468x635.jpg

The gutter press will print some utter guff to flog some chip wrappings. Until one of the thousands of members of this forum has to type one handed lets file this with alien abduction and crop circles huh?

Red

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Last night I was out on the Veluwe, and if I didn't knew it were deer in the rut, I probably was still running away from it. What a sound can they make!

The only thing I am scared for in the woods are foresters who don't like wildcamping and lighting fires.

xylaria

I tell you something if thats out and about I won't be camping on Dartmoor for a long time to come!:yikes:

I wouldn't worry about dartmoor dear. My sister had a bit thing going with a local farmers son for a bit. The farmer is one of those no nonsense earthy types who has had his fruit farm for decades. While walking his dog down the lane one day last year, the dog perked up his ears then suddenly lay down a close to ground as dog can get. The dog had his hackles up in a way this farmer had never seen before. As he walked past the dog he caught a sight of a panther standing in the gateway of the field. This was about a 1 mile away from merlins bridge, pembrokeshire.

Ray Mears has said he has seen big cats wild in britian, and I don't think he is the type to tell fibs. Don't worry humans supposedly taste nasty to big cats.

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
In Australia, there are lots of things to contend with. An encounter with a snake is a common occurance, steped on a few but never bitten. In Northern parts crocs are a worry. Seasoned outback camper died a few weeks back, taken by a 6 meter croc.

I hear wild domestic dogs are becoming problematic also in some national parks. I have not encountered any, but they would be my biggest concern on a solo hike. My fear of encontering wild dogs is the main reason I purchased a bigger style knife.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
A friend and i were away to Tolohill, up beside rynie for a camp and theres a field you have to cross in order to get on the path.. we ended up getting chased away by Cows.. and i mean chased.. i thot cows were freindly until that night now i have nightmares about them.. :'(

As for big cats theres meant to be one lurking around where i live..more than likely at the Dee

Cows are VERY leery! I live in an area surrounded by farms and often cut across fields when out walking. Cows will chase you. If you look at them they stop, so you find yourself walking backwards across a field, staring out the cows, who follow you pace-for-pace but getting no closer than 15 feet. Turn your back and you suddenly hear a stampede of hooves, then spin around and you see the cows come skidding to a halt, looking about all nonchalantly like they were up to nothing.

xylaria

Cows are scary!!! I bet more people get killed by cows than big cats. They boggle at you really funny. i used regulary go into field of unbroken gypsy horses, and never had a problem, cows on the other hand I will take a massive detour to avoid.

I wonder what the worlds most lethal animal for humans is? other humans? mosquitos? It puts big cats in perspective.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Cows are VERY leery! I live in an area surrounded by farms and often cut across fields when out walking. Cows will chase you. If you look at them they stop, so you find yourself walking backwards across a field, staring out the cows, who follow you pace-for-pace but getting no closer than 15 feet. Turn your back and you suddenly hear a stampede of hooves, then spin around and you see the cows come skidding to a halt, looking about all nonchalantly like they were up to nothing.

That'll be cos they think you are the farmer come to feed them most likely, they are supposed to have strange sight in that we appear much larger to them than we really are, was told by a vet up to 4 x on average.

The only thing that scares me about wild camping alone, is my imagination. :)

It doesn't help that when family/friends hear I'm off on another trip by myself they go off on one about how mad I am and how much of a risk it is. Someone might come and get me!

Then they jump in their cars, fiddle with their stereos, drive too fast and generally be at more risk, a million fold, than I would ever be, all tucked up and cosy in my bag. :)

----------------
Now playing: Anne Briggs - Go Your Way
via FoxyTunes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE