How Many Open Canoe Paddlers On Here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
I've got an Apache 16, don't paddle the open boat as much as I should, but had a real blast last Saturday at the SOTP meet at Castle Semple , open canoeing in force 6 winds !

Stuart.

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
This summer two weeks Loire trip with family. Norrona Ally was excellent choice.

95258545.jpg

95259224.jpg

95259546.jpg

95259251.jpg

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A Canadian canoe specific meet, would be a cracking idea.

I've seen a few good meets organized on SoTP since 2008 when I joined but these days, that site is just another "generic" paddling website, as opposed to being open canoe specific.

As for organizing open boat paddles from this site, its pretty straight forward really; Someone puts a location and a date forward and anyone who wishes to go along, does so under their own steam, making their own campsite bookings etc, if its a full weekend or just posting up a location and sorting out times and meeting points for day paddles.

As an example, myself and Shewie arranged to meet at Ullswater for a day paddle a couple of weeks back. We exchanged details via pm and met up on the day, very simple.

Sadly, unless you can travel to Scotland, there is very little scope within the UK for "real" canoe trips, where you can spend a few days to a week or so wild camping legally etc. You end up either just day paddling and returning to your ordinary, standard campsite and tent or indeed, day paddling and going home at the end of the day!;)

I'll be looking to get a lot more paddling in next year than I've done this year and I hope to finally make it far north of the border to paddle the odd big loch or two if possible.

This sort of thing would be my ultimate goal (though of course not in an inflatable!:rolleyes:):
[video=youtube;iYJWc4twsx4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJWc4twsx4#t=77[/video]

and these links take you to other similar trip tales:
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/fo...el-10-17th-november-2013&highlight=loch+shiel

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/fo...Ailort-and-Loch-nan-Uamh&highlight=loch+shiel

Mind you, these sorts of trips are not for the newcomer or the faint hearted and you need decent skill, ability and fitness levels to tackle them safely.:cool:

There are numerous other inspiring trip tales still available on SoTP, if you can be arxed to wade past the non relevant drivel about kayaks etc!;)

Seriously though, well worth a look, just don't get "assimilated" by the paddle anything "borg"

cheers

Steve

Pete K

Forager
Nov 13, 2012
Derbyshire
www.facebook.com
Another canoeist here (when I find the time). I'm an outdoor instructor and coach flat water canoe and kayak. I'm a confident G2 paddler, as is my wife. We've got a couple of boats and would be really keen to combine some Bushcraft with a canoe trip. I'll watch this thread with interest and hopefully we'll see some meets organised.

towim

Dec 5, 2007
West Wales
Yep big paddler here! Sold my Mad River a few years ago when I had kids, but I know have access to all the kit I need. :)

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
15' Prospector, but toying with the idea of a sit-on top (SOT) for next summer because I don't have much time for big trips and I can more easily throw a smaller bag and a SOT on the car and head off for an overnighter.

Also planning a weekend sea-kayaking in Oban mid-2014.

Coniston Hall campsite might be OK for a weekend meet? Convenient location for many and they have their own gravel beach for putting in. Not much bushcraft activity but good for getting wet and trying out different boats for those interested.

rancid badger

15' Prospector, but toying with the idea of a sit-on top (SOT) for next summer because I don't have much time for big trips and I can more easily throw a smaller bag and a SOT on the car and head off for an overnighter.

Also planning a weekend sea-kayaking in Oban mid-2014.

Coniston Hall campsite might be OK for a weekend meet? Convenient location for many and they have their own gravel beach for putting in. Not much bushcraft activity but good for getting wet and trying out different boats for those interested.

I had similar ambitions and expectations for a sot and actually bought one- a Perception Freedom Expedition, with two hull access hatches, it was supposed to be ideal for extended trips etc. Well it paddled extremely well, fast, stable, capable in rougher water and for launching and recovery etc but it still weighed almost as much as my canoes! the storage was okay'ish but the hatches were not at all watertight and had to be removed and redone.

The big issue with a sit on top, is the fact that you are constantly sitting in water and so you need either very warm weather or a drysuit ( wetsuit-not ideal) to be able to paddle comfortably and ultimately safely.

Coniston Hall site has a very bad reputation for drunken yobs during the summer season, including tales of cars being driven round and across the site at speed.The owners or management apparently appear to have little or no interest in policing these thugs, according to several people I've spoken to. It's a shame, because the location is very good for open boat paddlers.

That said, out of season might be a good idea at Coniston Hall and the possibilities for day paddling are also pretty good with a reasonable amount of decent parking and access to the lake shore, in laybys and carparks around the lake.

What it needs is for someone to decide that they are going to go somewhere and ask others if they would like to go along too. No formality, no real organisation at this stage, at least for something like a weekend in the lakes.

For now, I'd certainly be interested in meeting up with a group of fellow paddlers in the Lake District, more or less any lake that has decent, safe parking and access to the water.(ideally Ullswater for me, as it's the nearest, easiest and to be honest,my favourite lake over there!)

Derwentwater is okay but a bit dull to be honest.
Ullswater is my favourite as already stated.
Coniston is good, not withstanding the campsite issues.
Windermere. I haven't bothered with yet, as there are too many other craft, particularly power boats and more importantly- the "jet ski"!
Thirlmere and Haweswater are both reservoirs and while Thirlmere gets paddled a bit, Haweswater does not, as far as I'm aware.
Buttermere & Crummock Water are stunning and do get paddled but you are required to pay for the priviledge and they're a bit small really.

I'd say that of the list above, Ullswater probably has the most to offer, with three lake shore access campsites-Park Foot & Waterside Farm up the top end by Pooley Bridge and Side Farm at the bottom end, on the east shore. Also numerous roadside laybys and access points to the water, though you need to arrive early.

Coniston is nearly as good for access as Ullswater but not as attractive and an extra hour's journey into the lakes.

Start a "Potential Lake District Paddle" thread in the meet section and see who's interested. It's a start and it might lead to bigger things.

If I'm not at work and I'm otherwise available, I'll show up, at least for a day paddle!;)

cheers

Steve

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I'll be looking to get a lot more paddling in next year than I've done this year and I hope to finally make it far north of the border to paddle the odd big loch or two if possible.

This sort of thing would be my ultimate goal (though of course not in an inflatable!:rolleyes:):

and these links take you to other similar trip tales:
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/fo...el-10-17th-november-2013&highlight=loch+shiel

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/fo...Ailort-and-Loch-nan-Uamh&highlight=loch+shiel

Mind you, these sorts of trips are not for the newcomer or the faint hearted and you need decent skill, ability and fitness levels to tackle them safely.:cool:

There are numerous other inspiring trip tales still available on SoTP, if you can be arxed to wade past the non relevant drivel about kayaks etc!;)

Seriously though, well worth a look, just don't get "assimilated" by the paddle anything "borg"

cheers

Steve

Good to hear you'll be making it up soon. You won't be disappointed.:)

Can't help but be curious, does it really bother you what others choose to paddle?
I mean - Do you actually get annoyed by kayakers...
...or is it just a notion that canoeing is 'better' and that's the hobby you've chosen so you'd only be interested in meeting others who share that feeling?

It's clear you have strong feelings on the issue, just not so clear why.

Not out for a rumble here. Just testing the waters. :)
Would your enjoyment of a trip like this really have been spoiled by one of the party being in a different type of boat and another recovering from a shoulder injury which was less aggravated over the miles by a kayak paddle?
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58046

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
I started out as a kayaker and still predominantly am but had to learn to paddle an open as part of a course. Different feeling altogether and very relaxing.

Doesn't matter what it is, as long as you enjoy it

Andy

rancid badger

Good to hear you'll be making it up soon. You won't be disappointed.:)

Can't help but be curious, does it really bother you what others choose to paddle?
I mean - Do you actually get annoyed by kayakers...
...or is it just a notion that canoeing is 'better' and that's the hobby you've chosen so you'd only be interested in meeting others who share that feeling?

It's clear you have strong feelings on the issue, just not so clear why.

Not out for a rumble here. Just testing the waters. :)
Would your enjoyment of a trip like this really have been spoiled by one of the party being in a different type of boat and another recovering from a shoulder injury which was less aggravated over the miles by a kayak paddle?
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58046

No, it doesn't bother me what others choose to paddle. I just wouldn't go out of my way to paddle with them, as apart from the connection of "paddle sport" and "water", their choice of craft tells me that their interests are completely different to mine and so I have more or less nothing in common with them.:)

As an example: I quite like looking at or "watching" birds but I'd rather set fire to my own trousers, than spend a day sitting in a hide with a load of bird watchers!:eek: If I did try the bird watching thing, I might well come away much better informed about spuggies but I'm just not interested enough to bother.

If someone organizes a "general" paddling get together, I may or may not turn up, depending on the location, timings and weather forecast. I wouldn't not turn up, just because there are a few kayaks or what ever. I really don't care what other people paddle, each to their own and who knows? maybe one day they'll be able to manage a proper canoe;)

So, in summary: it doesn't matter to me, what anyone else paddles, just don't expect me to be the least bit interested, if it's not what I paddle:p

cheers

Steve

ps: Andy's right, if you enjoy what you paddle, it doesn't matter what it is.

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi all

While I sort out my posting photos issues [need to work round the subscription thing as I do not do Paypal] what you were missing was my Mad River Explorer plus fishing rods and two lovely trout ......

I too would be happy for a meet - might even leave my SOT at home so as not to enrage Rancid Badger :)

rancid badger

Hi all

While I sort out my posting photos issues [need to work round the subscription thing as I do not do Paypal] what you were missing was my Mad River Explorer plus fishing rods and two lovely trout ......

I too would be happy for a meet - might even leave my SOT at home so as not to enrage Rancid Badger :)

You shouldn't need to become a paid up member to be able to post up photo's. All you need is to open a photobucket account,resize your photo's to around 640 x 480 and then upload them to photobucket. Once you've done that, you simply copy the img code ( the bottom box, in the list next to your photo) and paste that into your post.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
OT sorry, so open canoeing is the pinnacle of paddling skills, tried a coracle? Different boat of course and designed for a different purpose but why would the paddler of, say, a touring kayak be any the less comfortable and as well equipped for camping or anything else? Enjoying one thing does not have any bearing on the enjoyment or utility of anything else.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I thought exactly the same thing. I've been fishing for Golden Marseer, in a coracle. Amazing,different but I find its the river not the transport, wouldn't like to load a coracle full of kit.
OT sorry, so open canoeing is the pinnacle of paddling skills, tried a coracle? Different boat of course and designed for a different purpose but why would the paddler of, say, a touring kayak be any the less comfortable and as well equipped for camping or anything else? Enjoying one thing does not have any bearing on the enjoyment or utility of anything else.

rancid badger

I've paddled coracles,( actually built one about 15 years ago) very handy and ideal if you don't need to carry much or travel too far, especially as with a little know how and the right materials, you can just build a one when you need one.

The purpose of my thread was to establish whether there were significant numbers of serious open canoe enthusiasts :canoe:on this forum, not to try to establish which boat type is best ( I already know that one!;)) or to find out what other craft people own or feel/think are better than canoes.:D

I've got a rough idea of how many open boaters we have, not as many as I'd hoped. :rolleyes:

I thank all those who have taken the time to respond, it's been quite a good "toe dipping exercise" if nothing else:)

cheers

Steve

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
The purpose of my thread was to establish whether there were significant numbers of serious open canoe enthusiasts :canoe:on this forum, not to try to establish which boat type is best ( I already know that one!;)) or to find out what other craft people own or feel/think are better than canoes.:D

That kind of depends on what you mean by serious. I've accompanied folk who I'd describe as serious paddlers and know I've still got a lot to learn.
Am at a level that probaby a lot of others get to as well after a few years of paddling - happy to about low force 4 on sea lochs and mid g3 on rivers. Will usually run 3+ stretches but sometimes it's a gung-ho attitude that gets me down rather than competence at that grade.
Enjoy poling. :) Have poled fairly sustained g2 on a few occasions and will sometimes stay standing on the way back down(but just for giggles and if I'm in an empty boat, am nowhere near as in control as I would be kneeling so don't tend to do it on camping trips).
Reach for the pole quite often on coastal and loch trips too, along sandy beach stretches to make progress into headwinds or when the tide's out and I'm over a sandbank on a calm day. (Heaven. :) )

Love canoes and know I likely always will. When I keel over I hope there's a canoe and a bike in my will.

...but if by serious you mean getting off on insinuating that folk in other types of boats are either ignorant or incompetent. No - not so much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE