how many of us are first aid trained?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

First Aid: how well trained are you

• no proper training

Votes: 101 13.1%
  • Trained but the certificate has run out

Votes: 230 29.8%
  • Trained with current certificate

Votes: 440 57.1%

• Total voters

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Qualified as a Royal Life Saving Society Teacher years back.

St Johns First Aid Certificate - out of date.

Several battle field firt aid courses in the Army - out of date.

BLS and Heart Start with the Special Constabulary - just about in date.

BLS / CPR / defib / oxygen therapy as a student nurse last year - still in date.

Planning on doing the St Johns Activity First Aid, 2 day course excellent value for money. Then I am going on the REC Level 4 and Level 5 in Bracknell. My plan - for no particular reason - is to qualify as a Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician (W)EMT.

Oct 20, 2006
wirral
I would recommend the REC course, Rescue and Emergency Care. Its practical First Aid for outdoor situations, I am an Explorer Scout leader, canoeist, walker and climber. This course covers practical solutions to problems where you are without the luxury of medical expertise a few minutes away. My First Aid kit has pads and 'Gaffa' tape as the its main components.

Smith

Jun 16, 2007
Ive got no first aid at all.
I feel that i should though, always good to know what to do just incase.
Any one know of good first aid courses?

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
My fiancé recently did a First Aid course and one of the people who was on it was ex-SAS. He told a story of how when he was in the forces they were doing a First Aid course and he was given a dog to look after. One day he was told to bring the dog in and the instructor walked up to it and shot it, he then turned to him and said "Use the skills you've learnt to save it!".

Not sure whether it's BS though?

Did the MR Cas Care course back in January(try doing surveys outside when you can't feel your fingertips!) as I'm a member of the local Search and Rescue Team, and passed!, got a certificate an everythin. Apparently I'm qualified to give morphine IM(had to practice on each other, ouch) Funny thing is I'm not allowed to put a plaster on anyone at work, and we have another guy who is in ticket with a First Aid at Work Certificate, and he's not allowed to put a plaster on anyone at work either. We do have an 'Appointed Person' with no training, though he goes a bit faint at the sight of blood.....
Funny old world innit.

sploing

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
i am currently basic first aid first aid at work, public order first aid oxygen therapy and defib trained. All these are required for my job and i get refreshed every year.

Public order first aid? Sounds interesting. I'm first aid trained and public order trained but can't for the life of me think how I could combine the two.

sploing

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
I suppose you could first aid those you've imposed your public order on. Something along the lines of WHACK! ok, breathing - fine, circulation -good......

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I have attended multiple accidents in the past and was able to render help..then I took first aid trainning on a yearly basis and from then on never used it once...go figure. If I would have taken the course sooner, I wonder, how many people wouldn't have suffered from an accident.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
No official training but i know alot of basics rest is common sense :) I am going to do a proper course soon though i reckon

ganstey

Settler
Currently Appointed Persons trained, but have been FAW in the past. Only had to use my training once at work, and that was when a colleague had a panic attack.

When I did my FAW course about 8 years ago, we had a long discussion over removing crash helmets as one of the other students was a motorcycle instructor. I can't remember the details of the procedure, but essentially we were told that unless we were sure the casualty had stopped breathing to leave the helmet well alone.

I've had to use my training at a number of RTAs, although luckily none of them have been serious from an injury point of view despite the damage to the vehicles.

Now I'm doing more bushcraft work (and more chainsaw work) perhaps I ought to think about upping my training a bit :rolleyes:

G

Nichola

Jul 17, 2007
I trained in first aid when i did my nursing degree, not got a certificate but hopefully the qualification won't ever run out!!! (Do CPR updates etc every year at work).
Has anyone seen the wilderness medical trainning course run in the lake district over a week. I'm really tempted but i guesss i'm just sad that way!!!! lol

Nichola

Jul 17, 2007
I did my first aid training when i did my nursing degree, no certificate but hopefully the qualification won't run out!! (We have to do yearly CPR etc at work).
Has anyone seen the wilderness medical training programme run in the lake district? It runs over a week and i'm really tempted to do it (i guess i'm just sad that way)!!! lol

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
My first-aid certs lapsed many years back, at the time I was working in the oil & gas industry and was part of the emergency response team being part of the regular crew, I was also trained in fire fighting and as part of the heli crew, although it all seems so long ago I still remember much of the training.

Fortunately I only had to use my training on two occasions. Now I'm working as a freelance graphic designer (a bit of a career change I'll grant you) I don't tend to need it that much unless the pencil sharpener is really sharp!
icon6.gif

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Completed my first aid training with Forest Knights just under two weeks ago, very comprehensive course & well run, recommend it to anyone who is thinking of getting themselves trained up.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have the skills i learnt in the forces, so if anybody suddenly suffers from a phosphour burn or radiation sickness, hopefully I'll be able to sort you out!

:rolleyes:

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
I have RLSS pool lifegaurd & RYA (royal yachting association) first aid.

want to do something more mountain/wilderness based sometime though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE