How many axes do you presently own?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
For me the Scandinavian Forest axe is a better snedding (limbing) axe - it has enough length to work across the trunk to remove limbs. The extra 6" of helve weighs little but transforms an axe I think, making it capable of true two handed use.

Thats always been my trouble with an 18" helve - sort of "too long" and "not long enough" at the same time. A light one handed axe is livelier (like the Cegga that Falcon mentions) and that great for a "pack axe" as it sits inside a pack but will do enough for a cooking fire. A longer axe (like the Scandinavian or Wilderness Axe or a US Cruiser or Boys axe) is a real boon when cutting wood for a long term (heating) fire but still portable. Which leaves the small forest sort of hanging as too much for one job and not enough for another (in my view only)

I agree with what you're saying when comparing the Scandinavian to the Small Forest. If having to choose one over the other (assuming being able to have one or the other but not both), the decision is an easy one for me -it would be the Scandinavian, without question. There is no comparison between the two. The Scandi is simply the better performer with the longer handle and slightly heavier head, as you know.

I really do like the Small Forest, but only for certain applications. Being light and lively in hand are what I like the most about it, but of course it's much more limited in usefulness because of that. A long handle on a hatchet would be an interesting thing to try, as HillBill mentioned!

There was a time when a 2 1/2 pound head was my most used axe, but getting older I actually dislike the extra weight and now find the Scandinavian to be just about perfect for an all around axe.

Edit to add that I live in spruce and pine country, so that has a bearing on my choices.

Last edited:
Let's see if I remember anything about forum posting. I didn't do well with formatting on the post I came here for.One summer's start of cleanup of heads:
axproj0805.jpg
I collected heads so that I could give specific measurements to people wishing to purchase same on eBay. Little did I realize that they would one day day become valuable.I have a lot of working axes, too, including all GB except AFA which I was disgusted with and gave away. Hopefully it's leading a good life in the far north.For sure I own a SFA. It just never got any use once I realized that I could put a 20oz hatchet head onto a longer handle and get vastly better performance for both chopping and splitting. Neverthess, the SFA which I have is a fine axe and worth the expense.The only criticism I have with regard to the Small Forest and Scandinavian dates from a decade ago when I was told that these were the only axe sizes anyone would need now. I asked if they were sure:
sprucegsfa.jpg
While that's a giant sitka spruce, I had 30 logging trucks worth of giant cottonwood taken off 6 acres I once owned, so 6' diameter trees aren't exactly rare here.Years ago I was offered an American Falling Axe to review, probably because I'd written so much about axes. I was honest and said that I'd given mine away, so a review from me wouldn't be great. Doubtless the things work well somewhere, being designed by experts. Now I do get a huge amount of email about finding good axes, ready to go for specific purposes. Since there aren't any, I suggested that Gabriel dig up old dies for specific "super axes" made by GB in the old days and put out models ground and properly handled and ready to go. No response. Well he did have to get the business making money first.Just a few years ago, this being spring here, I would go and seek decent handles for my eBay heads. I'd pick the best 6+ of the new season's stock and put them into 5 gal pails to slowly season.. Suddenly manufacturing of handles moved to China, and I couldn't find a decent handle. Now a person first has to get a decent head off eBay, then be able to get it ground correctly, and now even find a decent handle. So my advice to Gransfors might be becoming worthwhile.I probably have a few dozen working axes and many of those big Rubbermaid containers of heads - and of course buckets of drying handles. I have a GB carving axe, but that's designed for curved surfaces and I mostly deal with flat surfaces. So two broad hatchets, one just for flattening and the other for chipping out (with bevel on other side). Then one wonders whether the grind of the single cutting bevel should be more convex, or whether the Hurds "Razor Blade" steel really is better. You end up with quite a few to get that figured... Same for every other kind of axe.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
OldJimbo....it's so good to have you post here!:)
I started off reading your posts on the sadly missed Outdoors-Magazine, of which I was a member, as well as spending a lot of time on your site, found HERE (for those folks unfamiliar with it).
You're responsible for costing me a load of money, and also for saving me a whole bunch as well;)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
#2 Toddy ..... 5 axes plus 1 SFA that's being used by a friend in more need than I am.
#3 welchyd1 5 axes
#4 Mesquite... 3 plus 1 SFA
#5 Red...12 and definitely 0 SFA (although SFA describes their good points quite well )
#6 FGYT 4 axes 0SFA
#7 HillBill, 9 axes, 0 SFA
#8 Clouston98 ........ 2 axes and one SFA
#9 Swotty , 5 axes and one SFA
#10 Blundstoned Love - 6 axes 0 SFA
#11 Shovel 4 axes, no sfa
#12 greensurfingbear 3 axes, one sfa
#13 Everything mac - 10 axes, 1 SFA.
#14 Quixoticgeek - 3 Axes, 0 SFA.
#15 Puddock - 7 axes and 0 SFA
#16 kungaryfu - 6 axes 1 SFA
#17 Grummit 12 axes and 2 sfas
#18 Tiley 5 axes
#19 sandbender 7 axes and 1 SFA
#20 Renton - 10 axes
#21 Robevs73 -6 axes and 1 sfa.
#22 MrFrido - 12 axes
#23 nickliv 6 axes and 1 SFA
#24 Stew 6 axes, 0 SFA
#25 Hedgecrafter 4 axes, 1 SFA
#26 milius2 10 axes, 0 SFA(0 Grandsfors bruks)
#27 Shinken, 1 axe, 0 small forest axe (soon to be 3 axes as im going to forge 2x axes soon)
#28 Laro13, 3 axes, 3 axe heads, 1 SFA.
#29 tamoko about 70+ axes, 0 SFA
#30 Angst 8 with handles inc. 1 sfa & 2 heads
#31 Dancan 32 axes at last count, 0 sfa
#32 Dabberty 120+ axes, 0 SFA..
#33 Big Stu 12 9 axes, 6 heads - work in progress, 0 SFA
#34 Teepee 8 axes 2 heads 0 SFA
#35 Ozzy1977 9 axes 2 heads 1 SFA
#36 Goatboy 2 axes 0 SFA
#37 ged 6 axes 0 SFA
#38 Two Socks 3 axes 1 SFA
#39 Shewie 1 axe plus 1 SFA
#40 Copperhead 1 axe 0 sfa
#41 Johnnyboy1971 3 axes 0 SFA

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
#1 bb07 -23 axes plus 1 SFA
#2 Toddy ..... 5 axes plus 1 SFA that's being used by a friend in more need than I am.
#3 welchyd1 5 axes
#5 Red...12 and definitely 0 SFA (although SFA describes their good points quite well )
#6 FGYT 4 axes 0SFA
#18 Tiley 5 axes
#20 Renton - 10 axes
#22 MrFrido - 12 axes
#24 Stew 6 axes, 0 SFA
#27 Shinken, 1 axe, 0 small forest axe (soon to be 3 axes as im going to forge 2x axes soon)
#36 Goatboy 2 axes 0 SFA
#37 ged 6 axes 0 SFA

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Just spotted this Ash - please do a thread and show us - if they are as good as your knives I want to see one :)

Mate, my first go at axes so not brilliant. Was a bit faster than my knives take though as i managed to set a weekend aside for it. Just made a little splitter and a tomahawk

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I gotta put handles on yet, knowing me could be ages. Ill try and get a pic of me tomahawk at weekend as i need to take to work for a modification

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
The wife says too many, my own fault for letting her in my shed I suppose!
I reckon about a dozen, including my SFA.

Dave

#1 bb07 -23 axes plus 1 SFA
#3 welchyd1 5 axes
#6 FGYT 4 axes 0SFA
#18 Tiley 5 axes
#20 Renton - 10 axes
#22 MrFrido - 12 axes
#24 Stew 6 axes, 0 SFA
#36 Goatboy 2 axes 0 SFA
#37 ged 6 axes 0 SFA
#42 MartiniDave about a dozen, including 1 SFA

Biker

I know this thread has served its purpose but I felt the need to include myself on this list. No SFA for me, not that I dislike them, I just never owned one when the choice I have to hand over here in France is so big. I have a whole pile of other small, meduim and big bugger axes.

I actually prefer the tomahawk type with the weighted poll as this gives a bit of uumph behind the cutting edge. My first choice though always seems to be my 600g Talabot take-down axe (see pic below). It does all I want of it except splitting bigger logs, the blade doesn't have enough of a wedge shape for that. The Peugeot Ferres fixed headed tomahawk does that perfectly.

The handle for this got a major upgrade last year with a fiddleback grained piece of hickory... wood bling at its best.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE