How long do you hang a duck?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
duckweb.jpg

Is this really necessary, or can you spin dry :lmao:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Patrick,

I'm lucky enough to be given duck, pheasant and partridge most weeks in season.

I don't hang any of them!

Venison and beef need to be hung to break up the muscle fibre. Other birds need to be hung no more than chicken or turkey. It gives a stronger and more "gamey" flavour but must be done out doors to avoide ranciditiy setting in. For a duck, 2 to 4 days tops.

For me? Skin, joint, roast!

Red

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
British Red said:
Patrick,

Venison need to be hung to break up the muscle fibre.

I beg to differ on venison. Mine are butchered and frozen with-in 24hrs.
My venison is always tender as fillet steak and everyone who eats it remarks that it is the best venison they have ever eaten.

John

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
A duck walks into a bar and asks the bartender for corn. The bartender says "We have no corn, get out of here." So the duck leaves.
The next day he comes back and asks for corn again, and the bartender says "I told you, we don't have any corn! Get out!" So the duck leaves.
The next day he goes in again and asks for corn, and the bartender says, "For the last time, we don't have corn! If you ever come back, I'm going to nail those webbed feet of yours to the floor!" So the duck leaves.
The next day the duck comes and asks, "Do you have any nails?" The bartender says, "No, of course not. Why would a bar have nails?" The duck then says, "Good. Then can I have some corn?"

:theyareon :240:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hunter_zero said:
I beg to differ on venison. Mine are butchered and frozen with-in 24hrs.
My venison is always tender as fillet steak and everyone who eats it remarks that it is the best venison they have ever eaten.

John
Fair enough!

I tend to eat culled old bucks and find the haunch wants a week or two in a cool dry place - I'll happily try a roast of each though ;)

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
A duck walks into a chemist and asks the lady for something for quack'ed lips.
Lady says, we have this lipsalve and it costs 50p.
Duck says ok, can you stick it on my bill....... :11doh:

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Three women die together in an accident and go to heaven. When they get there, St. Peter says, "We only have one rule here in heaven. Don't step on the ducks!" So they enter heaven, and sure enough, there are ducks all over the place. It is almost impossible not to step on a duck, and although they try their best to avoid them, the first woman accidentally steps on one. Along comes St. Peter with the ugliest man she ever saw. St. Peter chains them together and says, "Your punishment for stepping on a duck is to spend eternity chained to this ugly man." The next day, the second woman steps accidentally on a duck, and along comes St. Peter, who doesn't miss a thing, and with him is another extremely ugly man. He chains them together with the same admonishment as for the first woman. The third woman has observed all this and, not wanting to be chained for all eternity to an ugly man, is very careful where she steps. She manages to go months without stepping on any ducks, but one day St. Peter comes up to her with the most handsome man she has ever laid eyes on. St. Peter chains them together without saying a word. The woman remarks, "I wonder what I did to deserve being chained to you for all of eternity?" The guy says, "I don't know about you, but I stepped on a duck!"

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
A duck walks into the doctor's with a piles of mud all over his body.

The doctor looks up and says 'What appears to be the problem?'

The duck says 'Well doc, it all started with a mole on my bum...'

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE