how do you get into your sleeping bag when in your hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
i have had a go at getting in the sleeping bag 1st then getting in. getting in my sleeping bag was a bit hard while all ready in the hammock. has anyone got any tips? cheers ben

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
I find this way is the only way that works for me,
Take ur bag out if the hammock and sit on the edge of the hammock
Put ur bag over your feet and then stand up in it
Sit back down on your hammock pulling ur bag up to your shoulders
Sit back and pick ur feet up into the hammock
Job done, and no fidgeting

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hennessy hammocks are good fun to get into with a bag (two minutes of green maggot impressions). for a normal side entry I unzip my bag to half way down, open it up and sit on the inside, swing my legs up and zip it up.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Quilt and an underblanket works for me.

With a sleeping bag, it depends on the style.
For hammocking I favor the MOD style central zip.
Simply open it up and lay it in the hammock, then get into the hammock/sleeping bag, and zip up.
Side entry, open up, lay it out and get in.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Easily done. Open your bag before you get in, then lie on top of your bag and put the hood over your head first, this stops it slipping about. Then put your feet in and zip it up. Very quick and easy that way. You can arch your back and pull out the folded bits if you happen to have trapped them when getting in.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I do like good fight with my sleeping bag in my hammock, it warms me up.

Sleeping bag wrestling with a jammed bug net zip, too much whiskey, and a bursting bladder isn't so good though. :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Lol, ten minutes of wriggling and then you finally get settled, it's all quiet as you lie there listening to the sounds of the night and then you realise you need to get up and water the plants.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I don't know what type of bag you have but, if possible, by far the best way is just to open it out and use it as a quilt. You might consider keeping the bottom few inches zipped up to act as a kind of 'footbox.' Then you just get in the hammock however you choose - you could try a back flip if you want to score maximum points from the judges - and pull the 'quilt' up over yourself :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I use a fairly snug mummy bag with no zip, so I suppose that's about as difficult as it gets... I push the bag down to the bottom of the hammock, then get into the hammock. Then I put my feet in the bag and pull it up to my hips. Then I lie down so that I can lift my hips slightly off the hammock, and pull the bag up so that all the slack is above my hips rather than below them. Then I sit up to pull the bag up over my shoulders and the job's done.

And yes, I can do all that after having taken a glass or two of the native cordial... ;) It really doesn't seem that hard.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Easily done. Open your bag before you get in, then lie on top of your bag and put the hood over your head first, this stops it slipping about. Then put your feet in and zip it up. Very quick and easy that way. You can arch your back and pull out the folded bits if you happen to have trapped them when getting in.

Dont listen to him! Its all lies! Hes a hammock faller outer-er!

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I find this way is the only way that works for me,
Take ur bag out if the hammock and sit on the edge of the hammock
Put ur bag over your feet and then stand up in it
Sit back down on your hammock pulling ur bag up to your shoulders
Sit back and pick ur feet up into the hammock
Job done, and no fidgeting

If you are doing it this way I suggest you keep a poly bag handy for sticking over the end of the sleeping sac, in case the terrain is wet. Unless of course you are already using a dry sac to stuff your sleeping bag in.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just make sure you're drunk...then it doesn't matter.

You'll sleep fitfully for a good hour or two,get up after another 15 mins deciding you can't hold it in and if you're lucky,you've remembered your 'bottle'.

Anyhoos,after a run off you might manage to cover yourself properly and get another 3-4 hours before repeating the above.

Thereafter the worlds your oyster,get up early or enjoy a long lie,entirely up to you...bliss..

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all ive got two bags 1 two season and 1 four season both with a centre zip easily the best bag to buy simples regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE