how do I know if the knife. is good.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Im not trusting enough to give details of a trek..

This in a great friendly forum, I doubt any of us would try and track you down during your trip to mug you.

We are just trying to help and give advice.

With regards to the knife a stainless steel mora, will do pretty much everything you require.
I prefer carbon steel but with the salt water it might not last.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Well its just decomposing garden twine, if I made a net and no bins hanging about ill put it in a hole I crap in then bury it.

It's not just twine, it will still take an age to rot and it will still needlessly trap and kill animals and birds if you chuck it away in the countryside, if you carry it in, the least you can do is carry it out again and then dispose of it in the proper place.

Taiga

Oct 24, 2006
hertfordshire
Don't bother taking any camping equipment with you such as a tent and so forth because you will be spending your time in a prison cell.You are either very young or a total idiot to think you can walk round looking like a knife shop on legs and not get stopped by the police.
Please carry on with your posts as they provide an insight into the mind of someone who lives on another planet.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
This in a great friendly forum, I doubt any of us would try and track you down during your trip to mug you.

We are just trying to help and give advice.

With regards to the knife a stainless steel mora, will do pretty much everything you require.
I prefer carbon steel but with the salt water it might not last.

I think this is a public forum, I would need to be on a members forum hidden from public view for that to be valid =p

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Ahh, sorry I didn't realise. On a few other forums I use the edges tools threads arn't public and you need to log in to read them, to keep away under 18s and stuff I think.

Oh ok, I guess this forum may be the same, but would obviously be the reason dodgy people would have an account to solely view this edged tool forum=p

Ill be more worried about cia types than civillians anyway, never knownwhen they want to makean example out of someone or a country as a collective.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Oh ok, I guess this forum may be the same, but would obviously be the reason dodgy people would have an account to solely view this edged tool forum=p

Ill be more worried about cia types than civillians anyway, never knownwhen they want to makean example out of someone or a country as a collective.

Are you Drunk???

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Back to knives.....Get yourself a stainless steel mora for all the hard stuff (filleting etc) and a uk legal blade to keep in a pocket (a spyderco ukpk would be my choice but a byrd tern would be good too), I find that when Im out in the woods with a knife on my belt its still usually my ukpk I turn to for most jobs (eg cutting string, carving, opening packets etc.) as its safer and easier to control than a big fixed blade.

If you took a ukpk (or similar) as a pocket knife, stainless mora as a pack knife, a multitool,a folding saw (instead of an axe) and a dc4 sharpening stone you should have plenty of reliable sharps to cover every eventuality and they wont weigh you down too much.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Back to knives.....Get yourself a stainless steel mora for all the hard stuff (filleting etc) and a uk legal blade to keep in a pocket (a spyderco ukpk would be my choice but a byrd tern would be good too), I find that when Im out in the woods with a knife on my belt its still usually my ukpk I turn to for most jobs (eg cutting string, carving, opening packets etc.) as its safer and easier to control than a big fixed blade.

If you took a ukpk (or similar) as a pocket knife, stainless mora as a pack knife, a multitool,a folding saw (instead of an axe) and a dc4 sharpening stone you should have plenty of reliable sharps to cover every eventuality and they wont weigh you down too much.

Im contemplating this set below, a mora, the lmf, the small forest axe and the gerber fish flik.
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Spyderco-Knives/Slipit-Set/p-0-92-191-7569/

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
That will do the job. Its your trip mate and I wish you luck with it, but I would try to minimise the amount of blades and invest in a quality first aid kit.

Yeah a first aid kits something I still need, can they be bought as a backpacking kit?

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
theyll all be kept in pouches and bag apart from the lmf, ill try and get permit for it on my leg. The rest of the kives will be backup, or as. Say in multiple pouches and bags so ones at hand always.

There is no permit you could apply for that would allow you to openly carry fixed blade knives in Scotland.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just read this entire thread. For someone who doesn't know "basic foraging" to be planning an 80 trip is astounding. That's extreme survival. To assume you'll be catching these big bass every day shows you have very little grasp on reality & I don't expect this trip will last very long.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Just read this entire thread. For someone who doesn't know "basic foraging" to be planning an 80 trip is astounding. That's extreme survival. To assume you'll be catching these big bass every day shows you have very little grasp on reality & I don't expect this trip will last very long.

Yeah it says somewhere on here I need to learn basics before I leave.
Ive also left a lot of the specie *bass* written on this thread, this is due to this threads nature...

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Mora have another good advantage the plastic handle is easier to clean after food prep than a wood version My choice is pretty much the same specs as John Fenna but with a different handle.

Its all down to buy try and re sell if not happy till you find the one you like. Currently I am using the Mora robust High Q and the Svord 5" knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE