how do I know if the knife. is good.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
I'm fine with a puukko or brukskniv, 10 cm carbon steel blade (thickness vary depending on task and blade geometry), wood or birch bark handle and leather sheath with liner.
I prefer barrel shaped handle as they give the greatest possibility of grips and confort during use.

For a start I too suggest a Mora.

The one in your link has a kind of yatagan styled blade. The yatagan was an ottoman knife or short saber used from 16th century.

Yeah lots of people are recomending a mora, ill get one to play with for a couple months while I collate the gear and intelligence I still need.

I tried searching yatagon and ottoman on heinnie but it came up with no matches

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
multi, go camping for a day locally. see if you found it comfortable with the things you take and try to work out what lonegr stays will be like. work up to 2-3 nights when confident, and test yourself and your kit! test what is and isn't essential in those days, and learn.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
what I'm saying is, unless you have legal permission to do anything you would like then don't bother.

you need permission from the land owner to snare any animal, and restriction apply to any snaring done in the UK. if you don't have permission or any knowledge on the law, don't take it, it's extra weight and a reason to geta rrested.

same with the fillet knife, do you have a rod license? or any fishing licenses/permission? if not, don't bother carrying it, it's a dead weight that you cannot use legally.

Unfortunately there is no free land that we can all just use as normal people..

Its ok, im more or less aware of the major legislations.
I have to have a rod for catching food. I need to also lkearn some basic foraging. ( please dont detour the thread any more, I dont wish to eat much fungi, just common foods)

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
multi, go camping for a day locally. see if you found it comfortable with the things you take and try to work out what lonegr stays will be like. work up to 2-3 nights when confident, and test yourself and your kit! test what is and isn't essential in those days, and learn.

I plan to do this, I may take a short course too. I have several months before I *intend* to leave.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Yes you can.
I
No im not spending so much time messing around with 3 inch or less awkward to handle blade to fillet maybe 6lb bass possibly every day, I have too much walking too do, im not going on a luxury cruise with time on my hands, hence making this thread about steel materials to collate knowledge on harder wearing blades and not cosmetic show peices..

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Multi have you ever done a basic bushcraft course, or are you learning from you tube. Don't take these comment the wrong way, these people care what you're doing, or they would'nt have bothered to respond. When you ask for advice, don't be offended by it.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
+3

Your trip kicks off in the autumn/winter? Again, you really need to have a good long think about this.

Good luck.

I always find less people on the beaches and find more catches during the winter was catching cod north devon october november.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
I give up. :deadhorse:

Im not trusting enough to give details of a trek..
Why would you ask me this?
Why would it makje you mad me keeping details to a minimum..

Please leave me alone to get on, i only need the blades education today, not everyones questions about my trekking, I am still in prep.

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
Yeah lots of people are recomending a mora, ill get one to play with for a couple months while I collate the gear and intelligence I still need.

I tried searching yatagon and ottoman on heinnie but it came up with no matches
The yatagan is an historical weapon, rather unknown too.

The russian knife in the link has that blade profile, but is not a yatagan.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Need to find a descent small packing fishing rod too.

And a couple more pouches. And hhave my netting needles and some garden cord too to help degrade. If I need to make a net and ditch it.

I hope you have permission to fish the waters you intend to go to, otherwise it's poaching, unless of course you are reffering to Sea Fishing only?

Re the net, if you do make one, dont just dump it when you have finished with it, for a start it's littering and there is already enough detritus in the countryside without adding anymore, nor do you want to dump the net and have an animal get caught up it after you ditched it and have it die a very painful and lingering death, if you intend to dump the net after use, first cut it up, then put it in a bin.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
The yatagan is an historical weapon, rather unknown too.

The shape seemed like I could fillet a bass and cut the head of no problem and fins too, but need serations on it, im sure if I search heinnie more ill find a blade similar and with serations, so far a bowies the closest.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
I hope you have permission to fish the waters you intend to go to, otherwise it's poaching, unless of course you are reffering to Sea Fishing only?

Re the net, if you do make one, dont just dump it when you have finished with it, for a start it's littering and there is already enough detritus in the countryside without adding anymore, nor do you want to dump the net and have an animal get caught up it after you ditched it and have it die a very painful and lingering death, if you intend to dump the net after use, first cut it up, then put it in a bin.

Well its just decomposing garden twine, if I made a net and no bins hanging about ill put it in a hole I crap in then bury it.

Easyer for me. Doubt ill need a net tbh, but its an activity to keep me sane and reset my head after walking, and ofcourse may need to discard broken pouches so can make a net to carry untill I can find a shop. Or use twine to fix it, I wasnt intending to use to hunt lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE